DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-14-2010, 10:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi Crew
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Stone White
Rep:56
LadyRam will become famous soon enough
Default Getting ready to put truck up for sale.............

and buy a Ford or Chevy
or make the dealer take it back.

I've been complaining of weird shifting, the idle, the sucka$$ mileage.

they've done flashes, flashed the PCM and these issues persist.
They hooked the truck up and they say there is nothing wrong with it.

The mileage dropped from 22 to not even going above 15.8 (highway)

I had the Rhino repaired a few weeks ago and when I picked the truck up I had a message to service the park assist (already done previously)
The ESP light was on and wouldn't go out. (button)

I bought the truck January 3, 09 and currently has 5300 miles it.

What took the cake was: (I drove the truck the day before and fueled up; mpg was 12.8)

Got in the truck for a planned trip (150 miles), turned the key and NOTHING!
Turned key off then went to start again, all the lights were on and flashing and the horn was chirping. I took the key out, thinking I hit the panic button (dash lights and horn still going)' I hit the panic button and the horn got louder and louder. Took about 30 seconds to get everything to turn off.
Got the manual out for the correct procedure for jumping. Got it started and drove to the stealership. (compass said W when I was facing south, GPS map said I was about 5 miles from my house on the highway)
They didn't seem to care about my issues (like I was an inconvenience to be there). They said they didn't have anyone to hook it up again and said to leave it there. Knowing they would get to it that day (it was 11:15 am), I said I wasn't leaving it, unless they could find me something comparable to drive. I refuse to drive a mininvan 150 miles (too uncomfortable). I drove it back home and the mpg was showing 22.8

So the truck sits in the garage at home doing nothing.
My better half had to go out of town early the next morning (3am), so I have nothing to drive and stuck at home.
(don't tell me to take it back to the dealer; I will NOT go there alone)

If there is this much crap wrong so far at 5000 miles what will come for this year?? That they can't fix to run right?
The 47K sticker price of the hunk of metal and plastic just isn't worth all this!
Mods: Chrome Gas Door, Chrome Bedrails, Chrome Bug Shield, Chrome Oval Steps, Access Cover, Rhino Liner, Tinting, Stainless Door Sill Guards, Flowmaster 50 H.D., Recon LED Lightbar, K&N Filter, Power Tailgate Lock, EZ Down
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2010, 01:37 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very sorry to hear you're unhappy with your ram. You seemed like such an enthusiast when you got it. Is there another dealership you can go to? I know that service varies between shops, and if your usual shop refuses to work with you then it's time to find another. I know a guy who'll take his ram to his local ford dealership cuz they work with him.

If you are gonna switch from the Ram, my recomendation would be a ford. My '08 Superduty is, in a word, dependable.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie 4x4
Color: Inferno Red / Light Greystone Pearl
Rep:82
Netman66 will become famous soon enough

Wow, you seem to be caught up in the quirk from hell there.

It sounds like a bad battery connection (loose possibly) or a bad power cable.

This is what I would do.

Take the truck back to the Dealer you bought it from.
See YOUR salesman - the one that sold the truck to you.
Tell him you're having serious issues with it.
Ask him to take the truck home for a night or two and drive it as if it was his own.
Ask for a loaner - most of the sales staff here drive vehicles from the lot.
Tell him to stay in touch with you and continue a dialogue while he has your truck.

If the issues are intermittant, they won't find anything until they have it under normal use for a day or two. He might even get the Service Manager to take it home since he may know more about what happens, when it happens so the right information gets passed to the servicing techs when they experience the issues firsthand.

Don't be discouraged. Afterall, your truck is just a machine, built by people. It can and will have problems because it's mechanical.

If you don't get satisfaction at how you are being treated, then speak directly to the owner of the Dealership and let them know you will be taking this up directly with Chrysler if they won't work with you to resolve it.

Keep us posted!
Paul
Old 01-15-2010, 09:43 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiezl Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie 4x2
Color: Blue Streak Pearl Coat
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:432
MightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really nice

I think after repeated trips to the dealer and recurring problems without anything getting solved, that it's time to call that Chrylser phone number that Remerson posted and talking to them.

I bought my truck at a dealer in a another county and get it service there because my local dealer, to put it simply, sucks.

Keep your head up and hope you get your problems fixed.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:47 AM

The nearest dodge dealership was 35 miles away (one that is now gone) and the next is 70 miles away.
other branded Dealers here won't touch your car if it's under warranty.

I used really enjoy this truck (and the dealership).
battery cables were just fine.

Owner of the dealership? that's a joke! The last fiasco (parts not installed I paid for and ripping up my Rhino), my husband called the owner. He said he would look into it and get back to him. Never did.
Chrysler called within a week (prior to talking to the owner) of regular servicing to check on satisfactionof that visit. They didn't want to listen of the problems; only about the regular scheduled maint. Husband made them listen, little good it did.

How can Dodge have those commercials on TV boasting the 20 MPG and "I am Ram and my tank is full"?

I am not an effective complainer to get results I want.

To me I feel I'm out 40K +

thanks for allowing me to rant
Mods: Chrome Gas Door, Chrome Bedrails, Chrome Bug Shield, Chrome Oval Steps, Access Cover, Rhino Liner, Tinting, Stainless Door Sill Guards, Flowmaster 50 H.D., Recon LED Lightbar, K&N Filter, Power Tailgate Lock, EZ Down

Last edited by LadyRam; 01-15-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:47 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Custom
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:1648
dodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant future

Dang, sorry to hear about all of your troubles, hope this gets resolved quickly.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD.....lightly modded

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 #3560.....lightly modded
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon....lightly modded (yeah right, it's a Jeep!)
2010 Jeep GC SRT-8.....lightly modded
Old 01-15-2010, 09:48 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Getting the salesman to drive it will do precisely no good. If you have any desire to keep the truck and rectify the problems then the first thing to do is call Chrysler (the customer service number is posted in the knowledge base). Be firm and mention the words buyback and arbitration (that usually lights a fire under their asses). Second, if there is a different dealership within a reasonable driving distance, give them a try and explain the situation as best you can to them. Plan to leave the truck for a day or two in case they can't readily duplicate the problems. I'm getting the impression that the service department you're currently dealing with isn't the best with electrical problems.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:56 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remerson228 View Post
I'm getting the impression that the service department you're currently dealing with isn't the best with electrical problems.
I'm getting the impression that particular dealer isn't good at much of anything

Except trying to lose a once devoted Ram lover.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:15 AM
erm

Man, I second what Daniel says...

Sorry for your troubles. It may be one simple electrical problem that's causing all the troubles with the dash lights, not starting, etc...

Not sure on the fuel issue, though. I know mileage drops quite a bit when they start dispensing winter blend fuels. I see a drop every year, then when the weather warms and they stop selling the winter blend, mileage goes back up.

How are you measuring the mileage? Using the truck computer display? I believe that system is adaptive and after you reset it, it's a short term measurement. Or, do you use the old tried and true "do the math" method, where you divide total miles driven by gallons used?

The mileage computer in my car is totally off and I used the old-fashioned method.

In any event, good luck. Remerson uttered the correct words..."buyback" and "arbitration"...

And if there's another dealer around, even if it's farther away, I'd do what he suggested. Take there and leave it there so they can dig into it. I know that's hard given not having a vehicle but this really sounds like something simple they just haven't been able to track down.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Remerson uttered the correct words..."buyback" and "arbitration"...
how exactly does this work?
husband is going to the stealership on monday when he's back in town and talk to the serivce manager again and the salesman.