DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-16-2010, 01:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 98 Dodge Ram
Color: Purple
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:10
crazy1 is on a distinguished road
Default 98 dodge ram 1500 w/5.2l weird noise

My truck is making the weirdest noise from the front end. Mostly on turns in 2wD checked the lines to the acctuator (not plugged) checked for looseness in wheel bearings, axle ujoints, driveshaft ujoints. No obvious signs of damage its a rotational clicking the goes with vehicle speed. Similar to if you were to put the vehicle in park while still moving forward and the pawl doesnt catch. It will do it occasionally going straight but mostly turning corners. If you put her in 4wD the noise becomes a rubbing sound. I tried jacking the truck off the ground and running it but as I said it only clicks in 2wD so that doesnt help. I have checked the other posts concerning front end noise and I am not seeing the same concern so Im lost. At first I was thinking the acctuator but the rubbing sound in 4wd is making me rethink that. And I have thought of the pads but the fact it doesnt make the same noise in 4wd is making me think not. Ive also heard the sound described a a playing card in the spoke of your bike which is pretty accurate in 2wd Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by crazy1; 01-16-2010 at 02:33 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2010, 02:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Ok so I checked all the way back to posts from Sept 09 and I found one that was similar. But no real answer was found what is the proper way to check the front axle ujoints? Someone had mentioned them in this other post and I just want to make sure Im checking them properly.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Ok so I put her in the air and had it in 4wd while running straight its fine as soon as I turn the wheel the truck starts making the a thumping noise now the sound seems to be coming from the tcase but that doesnt make any sense because it only happens in turns so Im thinking this is transference or noise that travels up a path. I also inspected the suspension again and found that the left ball joints are loose. I know that this needs repair but could this be the source of the noise? Possibly causing a wobble in the axle ujoint
Old 01-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

The problem with axle joints is that you can't check the condition of the needle bearings without pulling them out. It's possible for one to be dry inside but still not have any looseness. If you think it's in the case, remove the front driveshaft (don't forget to mark it for reinstallation) and run it without the shaft in place.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Ok I pulled the front driveshaft (knocked a dang weight of doing it) and ran it in 4wd no noise whatsoever so now I know that its in the front. Is it possible that the bad ball joints on the left side could be causing it. and the ujoints in the front driveshaft are nice and loose.I will probably change them anyway when I get the driveshaft balanced Grrrrrr

Last edited by crazy1; 01-17-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I'd have to say no to the ball joint causing that noise. I'm still leaning toward axle joints because to be speed related the problem component needs to be moving at the same speed as the wheel.