DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 1500 QC 4.7 SLT
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:26
Tentman is on a distinguished road
Default Change stereo radio frequencies?

Hi,
I hope someone can shed a bit of light on my problem. I live in the UK and my truck has the standard US Spec Radio/Cassette/CD player fitted, (along with the Infinity amp and speakers) which I hasten to add is the same radio that is fitted to UK spec Chrysley voyagers and jeeps.
My problem is that the US Spec radio has odd (as opposed to even)
frequency spacings such as .1 .3 .5 and so on, however in the UK most of our radio stations transmit on odd and even number endings ie: 95.8 or 102.6 or 105.4 or 106.9 which means I cannot receive these as my radio will only get 95.7 or 95.9, 102.5 or 102.7 you get the idea I am sure.

I have contacted a couple of companies in the US but nobody can tell me how to reconfigure the radio to receive Uk frequencies or tune in increments of .1 as UK spec radios do. One company suggested that the radio is set up by the dodge dealer with the aid of there programmer whether this is true or not I would not know and hoped that maybe a chrysler tech or anybody else on here maybe able to help out.

I realise that ultimately I can work round this by changing the radio unit but if there is a way to reconfigure the radio that would be a better solution at the moment.
Unfortunately I cannot ask my local chrysler dealer as we do not have the Ram in the UK so they are basically useless.

this is the reply that I got back from United Radio when I asked them.

"Checking with the manufacturer, they tell us that the vehicle changes the options; its not the radio, so you need to see your Dodge dealer for help.

Regards,

United Radio, Inc., Automotive Division"

I have included a picture of the radio for ID purposes.It has RAZ marked on the lower left of the display(not sure what it means)

Robin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VR2_5520.JPG (78.0 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Tentman; 01-16-2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: More Info added
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

As far as I'm aware, there isn't a way to reconfigure the radio to suit your needs.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:41 PM
erm

Hi Robin.

Try the manual tuning feature to see if it will find a station with the specific freqs used in your area. If it does, then set the preset memory with the buttons on the face of the head unit.

But if it doesn't find those frequencies that broadcast in your area, talk to the dealer. I find it strange that a vehicle built for the UK doesn't have the right setup for the UK freqs.

You may end up having to purchase a head unit (good time to upgrade to an aftermarket unit) from the dealer or a local audio shop.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

[QUOTE=MADDOG;137191]Hi Robin.

Try the manual tuning feature to see if it will find a station with the specific freqs used in your area. If it does, then set the preset memory with the buttons on the face of the head unit.

But if it doesn't find those frequencies that broadcast in your area, talk to the dealer. I find it strange that a vehicle built for the UK doesn't have the right setup for the UK freqs.

manual tuning just skips past them, the vehicle was built for the US market but these radios are fitted in chrysler vehicles over here, so I am hoping that it can be done via software as someone suggested. this is the reply that I got back from United Radio when I asked them.

"Checking with the manufacturer, they tell us that the vehicle changes the options; its not the radio, so you need to see your Dodge dealer for help.

Regards,

United Radio, Inc., Automotive Division"
Old 01-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remerson228 View Post
As far as I'm aware, there isn't a way to reconfigure the radio to suit your needs.
Hey Randy,
Thanks for your reply,the reason I mention the Chrysler tech bit is that I contacted United Radio and asked who made the radio as they must know if it can be done as we have these fitted in UK Chryslers, this the reply:

Checking with the manufacturer, they tell us that the vehicle changes the options; its not the radio, so you need to see your Dodge dealer for help.

Regards,

United Radio, Inc., Automotive Division
Old 01-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

as i see it you have a few choices,
1) find an old radio tech, someone who has forgotten more than the new age techs will ever know
2) find a auto recycle yard that has a radio that fits your application
3) purchase a aftermarket radio
4) go to a forum such as http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=679128
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 01-16-2010, 03:11 PM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I did some checking and it may be that the country code of the truck may be set as a US model. Changing that may do the trick, but it has to be done with a scan tool.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remerson228 View Post
I did some checking and it may be that the country code of the truck may be set as a US model. Changing that may do the trick, but it has to be done with a scan tool.
Thanks for your help,is this an aftermarket scan tool(ebay) or is it a chrysler workshop only tool?
If it is aftermarket can you suggest any one tool in particular?

Thanks Again

Robin.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:16 PM

I know it can be done with a DRB III which is the Chrysler tool. As for any others, it will depend on the capibilities of the particular tool. One's that can flash PCM's and have bidirectional controls cost in the thousands.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:12 PM
erm

Sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order.

I wasn't sure if manually tuning the radio would work but it was an easy first step. Your result was not unexpected but it was worth a try.

Good luck!