DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > Cummins Diesel Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Is the steering loose on your 2010 Ram Heavy Duty 4x4?
Yes 1 100.00%
No 0 0%
Could be better 0 0%
Suck it up, it's a Heavy Duty, not a Sports Car 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie CC
Color: Brilliant Black/Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
RandyF is on a distinguished road

I definitely need to take it to another, independent, alignment shop, if they have the '10 alignment specifications (was told that '10 is different than '09)....
Old 02-06-2010, 09:50 PM

Still working with Chrysler (and the dealer) on a buyback...This thing is UNSAFE to drive on a two lane highway at night....constantly wanders and needs constant correction...
Old 02-08-2010, 09:36 PM

Vehicle: 04 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
acooperjr is on a distinguished road

Did they try to adjust the steering box ?
I had one replaced and they adjusted it too tight. It would hunt, or go from side to side. At first I thought it was wandering, but when I really observed it, it was really going were I put the wheel and staying there (like point & shoot) and not returning to center. It required constant input to keep it in my lane.

I loosened it a little (1/4 or 1/2 a turn) and then it steered great. Now it returns to center by itself and is effortless to drive.

Just a thought.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

The steering gear in your 2500 is the recirculating ball type. DR/DS body 1500's use rack and pinion so that adjustment doesn't apply to them.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remerson228 View Post
The steering gear in your 2500 is the recirculating ball type. DR/DS body 1500's use rack and pinion so that adjustment doesn't apply to them.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:11 PM

The steering box is a NEW part for 2010. I know. They replaced mine at 435mi. It's still horrible on-center, and demands constant "coaxing" to drive in the desired direction. Spoke with my "case worker" at Impartial Service Group (Chrysler's repurchase company), and was told that the Service Manager told her that my vehicle was "within specs". It "clunks" when you move the steering wheel back and forth, engine turned off, and there is tons of play.

Go under your 2010's (engine off, keys out) and move the steering input shaft back and forth by hand. How much movement? Mine's about 1/8 turn. And it clunks...like backlash is waaay off.

Anyone live in Colorado is more than welcome to come see me in Fort Collins and look at it/take it for a drive. Everyone who has looked at it (except the dealer, of course) and driven it says it's definitely not right...

I know how to adjust the steering box, and would love to, but not while it's under waranty....
Old 02-12-2010, 11:27 PM

I just looked at the first post, and it's a 2500. So doesn't it have a steering box and adjustment like my 04 ?

If it does then maybe ask the dealer to try to adjust it. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's adjusted right. Or better yet if you know how to do it, then do it. They will not know unless you tell them. Some dealers don't care or know about service unless they are going to make $$$$$, especially if it's a flat rate shop, so they may bullshit you and say it's OK.

I know it would piss me off to if I had to work on my new truck, but adjusting the steering box is not all that involved, so I would check it myself. It will be worth it if you can make it better.

I went threw the same thing when my box got replaced. I told them something wasn't right and they told me it was OK. Then I took it home and adjusted it myself and now it's great. Then I told them what I found and I got the "deer in the headlight look".
Old 02-12-2010, 11:32 PM

I agree....lazy dealers would rather throw replacement parts at it than adjust/repair existing parts....sounds/feels like it needs over-center preload adjustment, http://dodgeram.org/tech/mods/steeri...ear/Adjust.htm, which I know how to do, but don't want to do anything to muck up the ongoing legal battle...

Hell, several 2010 Heavy Dutys that I drove felt loose in the steering, and the replacement gearbox is loose.... Car and Driver even noted in their review: "...The steering, however, is just as dull and unresponsive right off-center as in the 1500, requiring up to 15 degrees of steering-wheel rotation to get those front wheels to bite into a turn (at which point they do abruptly)." Sounds like it's not an isolated problem.... Can't wait for the $ when I sue Chrysler/Fiat for the accident this causes... Class Action, anyone?

Last edited by RandyF; 02-12-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:00 PM

Track Bar on order....dealer won't tighten up the box...says there's a "note" warning against it in the service manual....any techs care to comment on this?
Old 02-16-2010, 05:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Sounds crazy . If I knew there was play in the box , I would adjust it . Maybe thats whats wrong , it was never adjusted correctly at the factory .