DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Knowledge Base

Notices

Dodge Ram Knowledge Base Here you can find owner submitted how-to's for performing various mods to your Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiezl Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie 4x2
Color: Blue Streak Pearl Coat
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:432
MightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really nice
Default MOPAR Cold Air Intake Install 2009/2010

Hello guys and girls. I set out today to install a Mopar CAI on my 2010 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie. As I opened the box I was so optimistic to be doing this mod myself. I have never been into fixing or upgrading anything but usually when I tackle something, most of the time I get it done.

Tools needed: You'd think Mopar cold tell you this in the instructions.
13mm Socket wrench
Flat head screw driver
Scissors
Gloves
Ladder or Chair
Jack and jack stands if you have them, I don't.
Soapy water....believe me it helps.
And big serving of patience.

This is what the contents of the box look like once spread out.

And then my nightmare began as I opened that bastard bag of washers, bolts, and nuts. I never knew that you could use a bolt with no nut until today. Thanks to Remerson and My4Sons for helping me figure this out. Turns out that since some of the pieces of the airbox have a theaded part, that's what holds the bolts and hence no nut needed.

My4Sons recommended that I should build the box first. Once I figured out the hardware issue (no nuts) this part was as easy as it got. The box is very solid and the pieces feel heavy duty.

Once the box is built using the bolts, flat washers, and locking washers, I attached the rubber tubbing. Some of it has to be trimmed to fit since it's a little too long.

This tubing is a bit of a pain in the butt to get on as the fit is very tight.

Once the box is built, then comes the real ordeal. Let me say again that I've never really worked on cars so if you are a mechanic or always tinkered with cars or trucks then this doesn't apply to you. The instructions from MOPAR leave a lot to be desired.
1. They don't tell you what tools you need.
2. The instructions at vague.
3. The pictures could be better.

I jacked up the passenger side of the truck to get some space to work under the wheel well.

Removing the fender covers to gain access to under side of the air box. I removed the screws that hold the fender cover and then met with these bastards. All I can is "WHY?? WHY?? Who's the fu(*$#*$# that invented these things?"

Also, when removing the fender cover you have to watch out for this abs cable because it's attached to the fender by another clip.

Then Removed the air box and tubing. That part was easy until I had to remove the air sensor. Instructions say to pull on red tab. Easy enough. But then they say to press on clip. What clip? Well it took me about 5 minutes to figure out that part. They mean that black part with the yellow arrow that doesn't look like a clip.

Removed the engine cover and disconnected the rubber tubing that goes from the engine to the intake.

The airbox mounts to the truck using different hardware. One bracket holds it from the bottom, another from the front using the radiator support bolt, and one onto the firewall frame.

The bolts are all tightened in the end once the box is in place. Gotta be careful here as it's easy to forget to tighten some bolts. Once tightened, the box sits very firmly.

Then I put together the tubing. The black piece is corrugated on the outside but smooth on the inside. I attached the silver tubing to the rubber tubing with the clamps provided and then attached the original sensor from the other tubing. Removing that sensor was another 10 minute battle. I ended up using a vise grip. If you remove that thing with your hands, and I'll kiss your butt.

I put the tube in place following the instructions. It takes a little trial and error to line everything up and fit the filter. The soapy water is helpful is inserting the filter onto the rubber seal that goes on the end of the silver tubing. Then the clamps are tightened.

Don't forget to connect the senson using the provided extension cable.

Here's the tubing that runs from the CAI tube to the engine. This was another 5 minute battle to get it to seat all the way in.

So here's the before:

The end result of 4 hours plus of frustration.

I turned on the truck and revved it up and that's when I noticed a difference. It sounds deeper and louder than with the original setup. I will drive it later and see what it sounds and feels like.

I really wanted to do a step by step setup but at the pace I was going I would have never finished. It took me over 4 hours so imagine if I would have stopped to take pictures of everything. Hope this give you an idea of what's involved and what to watch out for.

Last edited by MightyBlueRam; 01-19-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 01-19-2010, 08:41 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Custom
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:1648
dodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant future

Great writeup and nice job buddy, you did well...

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD.....lightly modded

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 #3560.....lightly modded
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon....lightly modded (yeah right, it's a Jeep!)
2010 Jeep GC SRT-8.....lightly modded
Old 01-19-2010, 08:45 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Stone White
Rep:51
My4sons will become famous soon enough

Great job. The 4 hours you spent will be worth it. Let us know after you drive it.
Superchips Flashpaq, Mopar CAI, Mopar Chrome Fuel Door, Mopar Painted Air Deflector, Mopar Bedliner, Dynomax Muffler, Tinted Windows, Bakflip Tonneau Cover, Chrome Billet Antenna, 22" Cattivo's, MGP Caliper Covers, Partial Debadge, Hemi Bed Stripes.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:52 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Nice how to do . Your a pro . Next one won't be as hard . Rep for ya .
Old 01-19-2010, 10:00 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiezl Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie 4x2
Color: Blue Streak Pearl Coat
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:432
MightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really nice

Thanks for the comments guys. I went out for a quick drive to see how it sounds and if I noted anything different. Well I can say for sure that the sound is a LOT lounder and deeper in the engine compartment. I don't know if it's in my head but it does feel faster. Maybe it's a result of the sound making me want to press the gas pedal more. Either way, I like it!!

Here's a video I just shot of the sound in the driveway. Sorry it's at night.

And here's a wider shot of the engine bay.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:18 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: SS/T
Color: black w/ silver stripes
Rep:883
98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold

Hey man nice write up. Most companies tend to half ass the instructions, so for users like you to help out all of the others who do not have much sufficient with their vehicles is awesome.

Looks really good and I hope you are satisfied with the results.

Alex, 1998 Ram 1500 SS/T. What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:20 AM

Vehicle: 2015 Hellcat
Color: Sublime pearl green
Rep:71
Warwagon will become famous soon enough

Great write-up
I've been waiting for mine to come, should be here this week. Thanks for the heads up on what to expect with the install!
Looks GREAT you did a great job with the install
Old 01-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie Slt
Color: Green
Engine: 1994-2001 488ci (8.0L) LA V10 300 hp 450lb/ft
Rep:72
badazram will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamateo76 View Post
Hello guys and girls. I set out today to install a Mopar CAI on my 2010 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie. As I opened the box I was so optimistic to be doing this mod myself. I have never been into fixing or upgrading anything but usually when I tackle something, most of the time I get it done.

Tools needed: You'd think Mopar cold tell you this in the instructions.
13mm Socket wrench
Flat head screw driver
Scissors
Gloves
Ladder or Chair
Jack and jack stands if you have them, I don't.
Soapy water....believe me it helps.
And big serving of patience.

This is what the contents of the box look like once spread out.

And then my nightmare began as I opened that bastard bag of washers, bolts, and nuts. I never knew that you could use a bolt with no nut until today. Thanks to Remerson and My4Sons for helping me figure this out. Turns out that since some of the pieces of the airbox have a theaded part, that's what holds the bolts and hence no nut needed.

My4Sons recommended that I should build the box first. Once I figured out the hardware issue (no nuts) this part was as easy as it got. The box is very solid and the pieces feel heavy duty.

Once the box is built using the bolts, flat washers, and locking washers, I attached the rubber tubbing. Some of it has to be trimmed to fit since it's a little too long.

This tubing is a bit of a pain in the butt to get on as the fit is very tight.

Once the box is built, then comes the real ordeal. Let me say again that I've never really worked on cars so if you are a mechanic or always tinkered with cars or trucks then this doesn't apply to you. The instructions from MOPAR leave a lot to be desired.
1. They don't tell you what tools you need.
2. The instructions at vague.
3. The pictures could be better.

I jacked up the passenger side of the truck to get some space to work under the wheel well.

Removing the fender covers to gain access to under side of the air box. I removed the screws that hold the fender cover and then met with these bastards. All I can is "WHY?? WHY?? Who's the fu(*$#*$# that invented these things?"

Also, when removing the fender cover you have to watch out for this abs cable because it's attached to the fender by another clip.

Then Removed the air box and tubing. That part was easy until I had to remove the air sensor. Instructions say to pull on red tab. Easy enough. But then they say to press on clip. What clip? Well it took me about 5 minutes to figure out that part. They mean that black part with the yellow arrow that doesn't look like a clip.

Removed the engine cover and disconnected the rubber tubing that goes from the engine to the intake.

The airbox mounts to the truck using different hardware. One bracket holds it from the bottom, another from the front using the radiator support bolt, and one onto the firewall frame.

The bolts are all tightened in the end once the box is in place. Gotta be careful here as it's easy to forget to tighten some bolts. Once tightened, the box sits very firmly.

Then I put together the tubing. The black piece is corrugated on the outside but smooth on the inside. I attached the silver tubing to the rubber tubing with the clamps provided and then attached the original sensor from the other tubing. Removing that sensor was another 10 minute battle. I ended up using a vise grip. If you remove that thing with your hands, and I'll kiss your butt.

I put the tube in place following the instructions. It takes a little trial and error to line everything up and fit the filter. The soapy water is helpful is inserting the filter onto the rubber seal that goes on the end of the silver tubing. Then the clamps are tightened.

Don't forget to connect the senson using the provided extension cable.

Here's the tubing that runs from the CAI tube to the engine. This was another 5 minute battle to get it to seat all the way in.

So here's the before:

The end result of 4 hours plus of frustration.

I turned on the truck and revved it up and that's when I noticed a difference. It sounds deeper and louder than with the original setup. I will drive it later and see what it sounds and feels like.

I really wanted to do a step by step setup but at the pace I was going I would have never finished. It took me over 4 hours so imagine if I would have stopped to take pictures of everything. Hope this give you an idea of what's involved and what to watch out for.

Haha if you remove that thing with your hands, I'll kiss your butt..... <--- that right there is freaking hilarious......

And i'm with ya with those little plastic things in the wheel well...they are a pain....

anyways you made my day
Old 03-22-2010, 08:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:18
Cap10crch is on a distinguished road
Default Part #

Hey lamateo76,

Can you tell me what the part number was for that Mopar Cold Air Intake? I've been looking online and cannot find the same one that you installed.

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 4X4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport- Off Road
Color: Intense Blue
Rep:1930
wermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant future

Nice writeup