DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Ram QC
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Electric Blue Pearlcoat
Engine: 2008-2008 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:35
rjs2005 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to rjs2005

I hear a lot of "He's not my president" here, and that truly saddens me, as does much of what's happening to this country now. I served a long time in the military, and one of the many things I learned was no matter how you feel about the person or the job he (or, eventually, she) is doing, that person is in fact your President and deserves the respect of the office. I remember commissioned officers that I personally could not stand. I wouldn't cross the street to urinate on them were they on fire. That never once stopped me from offering a crisp, proper military salute and a hearty "Good Morning (Afternoon) Sir/Ma'am!" greeting. Why? I was saluting and greeting the office that individual held, not the person inside the uniform. I feel the same way about my President. I may not agree with his policies, and I may not have voted for him in the most recent election, but enough people did to make him the elected president of this country.

Having said that, I fully understand that many, if not most folks here did not serve and as such are not subject to that mindset. That's ok, and I do get that it is your right to disagree, and protest in any manner that does not violate the laws of the land. That doesn't make it right in my eyes, but I do understand if you disagree.

As far as NHC, I totally believe that healthcare reform is sorely needed in this country. Back door deals and closed sessions are certainly not the way to accomplish it, but I don't buy for a single damned second that Congress, Democrat or Republican controlled, has cared about this issue until this President made it an issue. The last time health care was a major issue was 17 years ago. It was defeated then, and was shelved until now. I'm not a fan by any stretch of what is being paraded as the Healthcare bill, but I sadly believe that if Republicans are successful in killing this plan, it will go back on the shelf and the status quo will reign.

One more thing to consider: Just because Democrats no longer hold a 60-40 majority, don't forget they still hold a majority. Remember "the Nuclear Option?" I assure you they do.
Sponsored links
Old 01-21-2010, 11:54 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SS/T
Color: Black/Silver stripes
Rep:134
TenneSST will become famous soon enoughTenneSST will become famous soon enough

We don't need healthcare reform. We do need to rethink the whole health insurance thing. If health insurance were set up more like your automobile insurance, there would not be near the waste. Imagine if you paid a co-pay every time you filled your gas tank, got an oil change, or bought new tires. In other words, you buy $100 worth of gas, pay your $20 copay, and your car insurance company picked up the rest. The same thing is happening when you go to the doctor. How the insurance companies ended up paying for checkups and minor stuff is beyond me. If you knew you had to pay the whole bill for an office visit instead of knowing your insurance would cover it, you might not go for just any old thing. I contend that health insurance should be there for only the emergency type stuff. Our healthcare system wouldn't be overburdended with people just going to the Dr. for the sniffles and the health insurance wouldn't be paying for as much unnecessary medical treatment.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 CC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Bighorn
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Matt35F is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EODsmitty View Post
But you know we (military service members) have to pay for our familys health care.
If you mean copays, that's par for the course.

If you mean insurance, no, miltary members do not pay premiums for family members.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt35F View Post
If you mean copays, that's par for the course.

If you mean insurance, no, miltary members do not pay premiums for family members.
No, but retirees do have to pay premiums for family members. I was promised, along with many, many others when we enlisted in the military, free health care for life if I served at least 20 years. That promise was tossed in the garbage can in 1996 when TRICARE was established. The answer from our Government at the time was "your recruiter had no right to promise you that."

I'm not naive. I realize $460 annually is a drop in the bucket compared to what the average American pays for health insurance, but it's the principle to me that matters. I was made a promise, that promise was broken. Just one in a long line of promises made that are routinely broken by a government more concerned with their re-election than the people they claim to represent.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenneSST View Post
We don't need healthcare reform. We do need to rethink the whole health insurance thing. If health insurance were set up more like your automobile insurance, there would not be near the waste. Imagine if you paid a co-pay every time you filled your gas tank, got an oil change, or bought new tires. In other words, you buy $100 worth of gas, pay your $20 copay, and your car insurance company picked up the rest. The same thing is happening when you go to the doctor. How the insurance companies ended up paying for checkups and minor stuff is beyond me. If you knew you had to pay the whole bill for an office visit instead of knowing your insurance would cover it, you might not go for just any old thing. I contend that health insurance should be there for only the emergency type stuff. Our healthcare system wouldn't be overburdended with people just going to the Dr. for the sniffles and the health insurance wouldn't be paying for as much unnecessary medical treatment.
I agree with you, health insurance is the problem. It goes far beyond folks going to the Dr. for the sniffles and getting coverage. My mother just had eye surgery. A simple procedure, performed out-patient. I saw her statement for the surgery, and a few things just jumped off the page at me. I'll give you one example: $26 for a single Tylenol. Not a Tylenol with codiene, mind you, just a plain, regular strength, over-the-counter type Tylenol! What the $@#%! There were many examples of such on the statement, ridiculous overcharges for gauze, a bedpan kit she never used, unopened and left in the room, yet charged for it anyway.

I lived through a lot of the defense overcharging scandals of the 80's (Remember the $27,000 aircraft toilet seat? the $4000 hammer?) but that stuff pales in comparison to what goes on when health care and health insurance are involved.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:21 PM

Vehicle: '05 5.7L 4x4 off road
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Blue w/ Silver trim
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:20
c5driver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs2005 View Post
I hear a lot of "He's not my president" here, and that truly saddens me, as does much of what's happening to this country now. I served a long time in the military, and one of the many things I learned was no matter how you feel about the person or the job he (or, eventually, she) is doing, that person is in fact your President and deserves the respect of the office. I remember commissioned officers that I personally could not stand. I wouldn't cross the street to urinate on them were they on fire. That never once stopped me from offering a crisp, proper military salute and a hearty "Good Morning (Afternoon) Sir/Ma'am!" greeting. Why? I was saluting and greeting the office that individual held, not the person inside the uniform. I feel the same way about my President. I may not agree with his policies, and I may not have voted for him in the most recent election, but enough people did to make him the elected president of this country.

Having said that, I fully understand that many, if not most folks here did not serve and as such are not subject to that mindset. That's ok, and I do get that it is your right to disagree, and protest in any manner that does not violate the laws of the land. That doesn't make it right in my eyes, but I do understand if you disagree.

As far as NHC, I totally believe that healthcare reform is sorely needed in this country. Back door deals and closed sessions are certainly not the way to accomplish it, but I don't buy for a single damned second that Congress, Democrat or Republican controlled, has cared about this issue until this President made it an issue. The last time health care was a major issue was 17 years ago. It was defeated then, and was shelved until now. I'm not a fan by any stretch of what is being paraded as the Healthcare bill, but I sadly believe that if Republicans are successful in killing this plan, it will go back on the shelf and the status quo will reign.

One more thing to consider: Just because Democrats no longer hold a 60-40 majority, don't forget they still hold a majority. Remember "the Nuclear Option?" I assure you they do.
You have your opinions just the same as everyone else on here. And I TRUELY respect anyone that is/was serving this country as i'm sure everyone else on here does.

The way I was raised is you EARN respect. And this president has done nothing to EARN my respect. Nothing states that we have to respect him, hence the whole freedom of speech and people being able to think for themselves. I was in the Army but that does not mean I have to like or respect anyone just because they are occuping a seat at the moment.

I did not vote for him, nor can I stand anything that he is trying to do or stands for. Therefore HE'S NOT MY PRESIDENT.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:24 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie crew cab
Color: Grey
Rep:41
uktitus is on a distinguished road
Default Not Here

I believe in free speech the right of the individual however offensive it is to me personal, but this is a Dodge truck forum not a political forum so can we please keep it as that.
Thank you John
Old 01-21-2010, 02:37 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500 sport
Trim Level: slt sport
Color: mineral grey metallic
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
bubba is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to bubba

the only thing that gets me about the whole health care thing is that the people that do have jobs with good benefits are going to get screwed even harder in the tax department. i know in my case,having 100% benefits, i would be taxed close to $10,000 more every year just because i have good benefits. i dont see how this makes things any better for me
Old 01-21-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5driver View Post
You have your opinions just the same as everyone else on here. And I TRUELY respect anyone that is/was serving this country as i'm sure everyone else on here does.

The way I was raised is you EARN respect. And this president has done nothing to EARN my respect. Nothing states that we have to respect him, hence the whole freedom of speech and people being able to think for themselves. I was in the Army but that does not mean I have to like or respect anyone just because they are occuping a seat at the moment.

I did not vote for him, nor can I stand anything that he is trying to do or stands for. Therefore HE'S NOT MY PRESIDENT.
As I said in my post, you are entitled to your opinion. That's the beauty of a country with a constitution guaranteeing freedom of speech. On the same token, I'm as entitled to my opinion as you are. I disagree with you, that isn't likely to change any time soon. However, in a civil society, we can disagree without malice. Thank you for the kind words IRT my service. I salute you for yours as well.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uktitus View Post
I believe in free speech the right of the individual however offensive it is to me personal, but this is a Dodge truck forum not a political forum so can we please keep it as that.
Thank you John

You might want to go back to the beginning of this discussion area. It is called Off Topic Discussion. If you prefer to keep it about Dodge trucks, this isn't the area to be. Not trying to blast you at all, I'm just pointing it out.