DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:10
kp1241 is on a distinguished road
Default 3.7 V-6 Ram 1500 Engine Knock

Hi, I am new to this website and thought maybe somebody could help me out. I am a Mopar guy through and through. Naturally, when my son wanted to buy a truck I steered him towards a Mopar and he picked an absolutely cherry 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 2 wheel drive pickup with a 3.7 V-6 auto with 44000 miles on it. We bought it in May of 09. Long story short, last week, he called me (college kid making truck payments) in a panic that the engine was knocking. He immediately pulled the truck over and shut if off. The truck has 53,500 miles on it now. I went and we pulled the truck home. I checked everything over (he has changed the oil 3 times - he loves this truck) and upon starting it the engine was quiet. When you give the engine a bit of a rev, a small bit, the engine knocks hard core. I went underneath and I suspect that this engine has either a spun main rod bearing or some sort of bearing clearance issue. I have heard this on other motors over the years with spun bearings. He had mentioned that every now and again, the oil pressure gauge would drop to zero, the check gauges light come on, and it would recover immediately. I called Mopar and essentially they told me the truck warranty was done in 2007 and it is 17k out of warranty - no goodwill help at all. The Ford dealer we bought it from steered us to one of his "buddies" who has a used car/repair shop and will put another 52k mile 3.7 into the truck for $2000. I did some internet research and found that some people have experienced valvetrain retainer failures - ??? In some cases, dropping a valve into the piston. Along these same lines, some folks have experienced out of spec clearance problems on the main bearings that dealership mechanics have attributed to "oil sludge build up." This is really tough on my son, making payments and paying for college, and my conscience for steering him into this vehicle. I was thrilled to find this thread and hopefully some of you have heard of this problem and can either steer me towards a proper repair shop, or if need be, my son and I will pull the motor and replace the main rod bearings, which is what I suspect. I just don't have the time working two jobs to do this, but he cannot afford this at this point. Any ideas?? Thank you for the forum.. Ken in Mukwonago, WI
Sponsored links
Old 01-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Sorry to hear of your bad luck . I feel for ya trying to do what your doing , going to college and all that . Kinda hard to diagnose a knock in the motor over the net . If you feel it needs a motor $2000.00 is a good price . I just checked a yard I deal with and they have a motor for $1350.00 (75,000 miles) . So thats not a bad price . If you decide to do it yourself , do a crank kit . Reground crank with new bearings . I wish you the best . If theres anything we can do to help let us know .
Old 01-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thank you. Wow, 1350 is cheap. And thank you for the advice, I thought 2000 for the 52k mile installed wasn't bad. I think we are going to by an aftermarket warranty after the motor installation just to cover our bases. He really loves the truck and doesn't want to give it up!!! Again, thank you.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:31 AM

Vehicle: Jeep GC WK
Rep:964
hemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to behold

i had a motor installed in my old truck for 1000.00 it was a 5.2L v8 in a body shop in atlanta
Old 01-26-2010, 08:40 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

First things first. Get it correctly diagnosed before you start shelling out the greenbacks! Check out this thread - while the 4.7 is a larger motor, it shares its desgin with the 3.7. http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=43203
Old 05-17-2010, 01:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

HI everyone,
Update on my son's truck. A local trusted mechanic put in a crank kit, the truck, with]
56k on the 3.7, was all gummed up from oil - we were blown away when he showed us
the parts. I called Ma Mopar and they told me to get bent, that it was way out of
warranty and that my sone was the 4th owner - yikes!!! So, he paid 700 in labor and
500 for the crank kit. Well, so far he has put about 600 miles on it and guess what -
it now developed a tick in the engine. I am just unbelievably disappointed in Mopar 6 cylinders....this is just too much. Diagnosis - either a lifter tick or timing belt tensioners - anothe $600 to do both from our trusted wrench friend. Frankly, we are scared to do it and being a Mopar family - gulp -thinking of going to buy a truck from
Obama Motors or Ford. I can't believe I am saying this but this is the 2nd Mopar I have
had (out of literally very many) that has been a mechanical nightmare......Just to update you. Truly a sad story.......and Mopar -they can blow me. No help at all, not even a free diagnosis - just pay at the front window....wow.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:59 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

The sludge in the 3.7 indicates one of two things to me. Either the incorrect oil has been used in the past or the change interval was way off. I don't blame Chrysler for not covering the repair under warranty. Your "trusted wrench friend" doesn't seem to know much about these engines or he would know that the 3.7/4.7 doesn't have lifters and diagnosing a tensioner is a pretty simple thing to do. I presume that the tensioners weren't replaced when the crank kit was put in?