DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-30-2010, 09:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
daved912 is on a distinguished road
Default Need buying tips

Well I visited my local Dogde dealer today and he only came down 3k from MSRP. This was on a 37K 1500 crew with the Hemi and a tow package. I walked and will try another dealer, but that means a longer drive so I want to go more prepared or at the right time. I'm seeing posts where they are being sold around 10K below MSRP. How do you do it?
Sponsored links
Old 01-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn SLT
Color: Maroon
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Attono is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Attono

3K below invoice is a pretty good deal...
Old 01-30-2010, 11:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:21
Dodgeystyle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attono View Post
3K below invoice is a pretty good deal...
ya no kidding! but i'm also curious as to how some guys get 5k to 10k below msrp. must be all in the people ya know!
Old 01-30-2010, 11:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
daved912 is on a distinguished road

It was 3k below MSRP, still about 1k above invoice. Dodge was currently offering 3K - 2500 national offer plus 500 for the auto show being in town. That lead me to believe I could get a total of 6K under MSRP. I asume the Dodge rebates are staight from Dodge and not from the local dealers pockets. Perhaps I am wrong, but I know I've seen posts where people report getting their trucks for 10k under MSRP.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:43
rickerred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daved912 View Post
It was 3k below MSRP, still about 1k above invoice. Dodge was currently offering 3K - 2500 national offer plus 500 for the auto show being in town. That lead me to believe I could get a total of 6K under MSRP. I asume the Dodge rebates are staight from Dodge and not from the local dealers pockets. Perhaps I am wrong, but I know I've seen posts where people report getting their trucks for 10k under MSRP.
The rebates are given back to the dealer from the parent company upon selling a vehicle. Here are the rebates in canada on an 09 Ram:
Dealer Cash/Factory to Dealer Rebate -
$6,250.00 February 1, 2010
Chrysler Canada Cash for Clunkers Program/Factory to Customer Rebate -$1,500.00 March 1, 2010
Loyalty Bonus Cash/Factory to Customer Rebate -
$750.00 February 1, 2010.
Should be similar in the USA. If you are unsure of the rebate contact Chrysler USA. Also you will more than likely get a better deal on an 09 if there are any on the lot. You said the next dodge dealer is a far ride from you, make your sale over the internet. I made the deal for my truck at the local dealership while I was at sea, just be sure to keep all the correspondence between you and the sales person. One more thing and someone chime in if I am wrong, I read that in the USA if you ask what the dealership paid for the vehicle i.e. wholesale price they have to tell you.

Future Mods: What ever I can sneak by my wife.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Rep:16
coolidge is on a distinguished road

I have been battling multiple dealers recently on a Ram 1500 so here's what I am seeing. The short version is information is power, if you are uninformed they all try to screw you.

There are two types of dealers, dealers that sit on their inventory until they get top dollar, these tend to be the smaller dealerships. Then there are high volume dealers who will blow out inventory at significant discounts to "make their numbers". These dealers will offer the best deals at the end of the month.

Making their numbers is important because the factories kick back serious cash to them. One Ford dealer I know gets kicked back $100,000 just for advertising. The dealership buys ads with some of that money but they also use it to sell trucks as well below dealer invoice on some vehicles. This helps them make their numbers but also the killer deals bring people into the dealer who sometimes choose a different vehicle at more money.

So how do you locate the dealers who are offering the better deals. One way is to use the search dealer inventory feature of Dodge.com. Expand it to 200 miles radius from your house. Just select 4x4, all box types, all models, don't be too restrictive in your search settings because their system is all screwed up. For example if I select Bighorn I only get 1 match in 200 miles. There are actually hundreds of big horns in that area, they are just not input into the system as big horns.

Now you will have a list of dealers, click on every dealer starting with those closest to your house. If the search only shows the dealer has only 1 1500 pay no attention, again their search kind of sucks and often you will find they have many more than that.

So start clicking, what you are looking for are the dealers that advertise their "internet" price. These can be at substancially lower than dealer invoice. I'm seeing internet discounts up to $9,700 with $7,000-$8,500 off MSRP fairly common.

These discounts can change daily, the dealers have an internet sales guy that plays with the numbers. Towards the end of the month the discounts go up, the first of the month they go down.

These internet discounts will beat all the normal programs, A plan, employee price, they can be several thousand less. Its the factory kick back cash the dealer is tossing on the table to blow out some inventory.

As for trade ins, well expect them to negociate hard on that. Since they are not making money on the new truck they will try to make money on your trade in instead and may low ball you. You will have to decide if the deal overall is in your favor. Know what Kelly Blue Book "trade in value" is for your vehicle before you go in. Expect them to offer less than KBB.

I had a dealer yesterday give me my price, $30,400. MSRP was $38,015. He also offered me $16k for my trade in, KBB was $17k. It was a fair deal, certainly wasn't an insult. But I wanted $17k on my trade it and it was worth it so I walked away.

Here's a list of what one dealer was offering me in the way of discounts. IMPORTANT: If a dealer is offering an internet price call them and ask them to break down the discount for you because...you may not qualify for part of the discount as was the case below for me. Also the "internet" price did not inlcude the $900 destination charge which was total BS. So their $9,700 discount when the smoke clear was not nearly as good as it look at first glance.

Factory rebate $2,500 (quad and crew)
Employee pricing - seems some dealers are playing games with this, giving emplyee prices to non employees. Hey thats between them and Dodge take the savings if offered.
Dealer incentives (varies)
Military rebate $500
Credit union member $500
Business license holder $250
Car Show $500
Old 02-06-2010, 08:53 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Slt Quad Cab
Color: Brillant Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:16
mlc317 is on a distinguished road

Hey how's it going everyone, I am also looking to buy a new dodge, i saw one listed by me with an msrp of 33,000, it is a crew cab with the big horn package, just trying to find out what a good price should be.....thanks
Old 02-06-2010, 09:14 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:43
rickerred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlc317 View Post
Hey how's it going everyone, I am also looking to buy a new dodge, i saw one listed by me with an msrp of 33,000, it is a crew cab with the big horn package, just trying to find out what a good price should be.....thanks
Current incentives in the States are up to 2500.00 off or 0% apr for 48 mths.

Get the best deal you can below MSRP and then ask about factory rebates and discounts. Alot of stuff they will add for free usually is running boards, vent visors, bed liner and stuff like that. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Future Mods: What ever I can sneak by my wife.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Big Horn Ram
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:20
TRDon is on a distinguished road

I also had the luck of having multiple dealers in my area (MN, minneapolis/st paul metro, literally at least 10 dodge dealers in the area) and looked them up all online to view inventory and saw different trucks. Some had internet pricing some just listed MSRP. The one I wanted listed for 37,100 and the internet price was 28995. Knowing that number I went on to edmunds.com and built that truck and sent a dealer price inquiry out to 4 other dealers than that one. I must have missed something because the MSRP on my built one was 36000ish. I got a price of 27785. I went to the dealer my truck was at and told them I could get this build truck at this dealer for 27785. They matched no questions asked.

When came time to trade, I thought that was going to be the deal breaker. It was worth 7500 trade in and they offered me 8500. It was kind of suprising but I pushed harder and said I wanted 10. They said 9, I said 10. They offered to split the difference with me (all in just about the same conversation) and I said,"I will let you have until tomorrow morning to find that 500 to give me my 10. I look forward to that call." Go figure they called me right away in the morning and said "sure I think we can do 10" Dont know how it worked out that way, dont really care. I felt like I walked from that dealership with a really good buy.

My best advice, I have done the edmunds thing 2 times, and both times it gave me so much power in the negotiating process, because I know what the alternative price is to what they are offering. That edmunds price doesn not include incentives on their site, but the dealer price probably will. I would never go into a dealer without this information again. It saved me 2500 on my 08 corolla from what they said it was initially. It saved me a little on the ram inadvertantly but knoledge is power in that scinerio.

Good luck!
Old 02-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2002 Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:28
streetbob is on a distinguished road

Send an Email directly to the dealership. These ususally go to fleet sales and bypass the salesman all together. When I emailed dealers from here to Ohio, they came in all about the same price and substantially lower than I could get off the lot. Plus a lot less aggravation.