DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-31-2010, 11:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn SLT
Color: Austin Tan Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:30
Almond 04 is on a distinguished road
Default Broken Exh manifold bolts

Hello everyone, I am new here and looking for a little help. I currently have a 04 Ram 2500 hemi with 85K.
Last summer I heard a rattling sound from the RH side of the truck. I found the exhaust manifold heat shield loose. Upon further investagation I found the nut end of the stud had broken off making the shield loose causing it to rattle. It was not rotted the fixed nut on the stud just broke off. Looked like it was cut. So I replaced it with a new stud and all was good. Didnt think too much about it.
Fast foward to last week I can hear an exhaust leak on the LH side. After looking it over I find the heat shield loose toward the back of the motor. Sure enough the 2 rear most exhaust studs the heads are broke off flush with the manifold casting causing an exhaust leak. Looked at the other side and another is broken as well.
It dosent seem normal to me . I know there is alot of expansion and contraction wth the exhaust manifold as it heats up and cools. I was hoping there was a recall for this but I couldnt find anything.
Has anyone else ever seen or heard of this happening. The parts were only 45 bucks and I am going to attempt it in a little while. Looks like a simple project hopefully I dont have to remove the motor mount, maybey the starter? Who knows. I sprayed the 2 bolts at the flange where the head pipe bolts go. They look pretty rusty though.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:46 AM
erm

I had the same problem on a Ford small block in a 1/2T truck some years ago...they just snapped!
Old 01-31-2010, 11:55 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I've not seen this with the Hemi engines but the 4.7's are prone to it. Might want to use some antiseize on all the exhaust components that you remove.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:53 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 Quad 4WD 5.9
Trim Level: Quad cab
Color: Garnet red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:202
deanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura about

Make sure you use Grade 8 fasteners on those.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:35 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn SLT
Color: Austin Tan Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:30
Almond 04 is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone just got done with the broken manifold bolts. Took about 3 hours. It was better than expected. I started by removing the head pipe bolts while it was hot, they were quite corroded but came out with ease. Then disconect the batt and removed the old heat shield. That exposed the 4 or 5 10mm bolts in the middle. Loosened and removed all fastners and worked the manifold out. I used a pair of vice grips to remove the 2 broken studs, luckily they came out no problem.
Cleaned manifold with a wire brush, cleaned gasket surface reinstalled with new gasket, hardware and heat shield. Tightened all bolts in a criss cross pattern. Used 2 new bolts washers and nuts for the flange and worked perfect. No exhaust leak no more broken bolts.
Now I just have to deal with one broken on the other side.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:50 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Good news . Glad it didn't put up to much of a fight .