DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Big Horn Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:20
TRDon is on a distinguished road
Default Factory rear dual exhaust change

I was curious if anybody has modified the factory resonators (the ones just ahead of the tips) and removed them and how did that sound. I was also directed from a friend to this site http://www.mufflex-performance.com/m...gory_Code=DR09 and said to check it out. Any experience or thoughts? I am a fan of magnaflow on mustangs but have no exhaust experience with the ram as of yet. It is cheap enough and all stainless so I might just shoot for it and get the mid length muffler just to try it out.

Thanks for any information
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 5.7L HEMI
Trim Level: Big Horn, Quad Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:47
CHILLZ HEMI is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CHILLZ HEMI

I know a lot of people that have the MDS system on their truck, with an aftermarket exhaust, have noticed a difference of making a horrible sound because they are made differently somehow to handle the 4 cylinder shutdown...So I would ensure that the exhaust system is built for when the MDS is activated so it wont sound like garbage when your driving down the highway...
Old 02-06-2010, 11:04 AM

What exhaust system would be made speciffically to work with the MDS?
Old 02-08-2010, 08:24 PM

Vehicle: 2007 & 2012 Dodge Rams
Trim Level: Sport & Power Wagon
Color: '07 - Brilliant Black, '12- Grey and Black Lower
Rep:970
ScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to behold

You can also get a programmer which will eliminate the MDS. I have a Gibson exhaust and it doesn't sound bad when the MDS kicks in. I did add a programmer but I have not taken the MDS off, at least I believe i didn't haha
Interior- Custom Gauge Face, 3 Auto Meter Gauge A-Pillar, 2 Tone Seats, 12" Kicker L7, Focal K2 Components, Dodge Door Sills, Recon LED Map & Dome lights
Exterior- 20" Moto Metal 951, 40" BFG KM2s, N-Fab W2W Black Side Steps, Recon Black Headlights & Tails+3rd Brake Light & Light Bar, Hella 500s, T-Rex X-Metal Black 1pc Grille, Tints All Around, Painted Bushwacker Pocket Flares & Door Handles & Mirrors, LoRider Tonneau Cover, Hornblasters Train Horns, Iron Bull Bumper w/PIAA Fog & Driving Lights
Old 02-08-2010, 10:08 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Blue Streak Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:120
HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDon View Post
The OEM system!

But, if ya got to go aftermarket, I'd go with as large (quiet) a muffler as possible, and leave the OEM resonator(s) on your tailpipe(s). But, not everyone likes 'semi-quiet' either!

I can't say that there is any one MFG that indicates their muffler is specifically made for an MDS system,,,,

Now, with that being said, Corsa (DB) goes about their noise control differently than most all of the other MFG's, and they claim to have a 'drone free' tone,,,
Old 02-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:87
griff43 will become famous soon enough

I have a Magnaflow cat back dual on mine with no resonators and it sounds just fine,we also have one on the wifes 08 however it seems to get some drone when your off the pedal.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:36 PM

Vehicle: 2007 & 2012 Dodge Rams
Trim Level: Sport & Power Wagon
Color: '07 - Brilliant Black, '12- Grey and Black Lower
Rep:970
ScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to behold

I have to agree with griff i took all resenators off and it sounds great
Interior- Custom Gauge Face, 3 Auto Meter Gauge A-Pillar, 2 Tone Seats, 12" Kicker L7, Focal K2 Components, Dodge Door Sills, Recon LED Map & Dome lights
Exterior- 20" Moto Metal 951, 40" BFG KM2s, N-Fab W2W Black Side Steps, Recon Black Headlights & Tails+3rd Brake Light & Light Bar, Hella 500s, T-Rex X-Metal Black 1pc Grille, Tints All Around, Painted Bushwacker Pocket Flares & Door Handles & Mirrors, LoRider Tonneau Cover, Hornblasters Train Horns, Iron Bull Bumper w/PIAA Fog & Driving Lights
Old 02-10-2010, 09:02 PM

If I wanted it perfectly quiet, I would keep the factory exhaust. I took the muffler off my Tundra and kept the resonator and it sounded great. I am looking for a little less sound in my situation that what I previously had. That was a bit much. The link of the direct bolt on exhaust being only 240, I might just order one and see how it sounds.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:33 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Blue Streak Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:120
HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough

Lots of people have liked the Mufflex. You retain the OEM resonators that way as well. If it still isn't loud enough, you can then pull the resonators,,,

I have heard that the Magnaflows will 'burn in' after a while and become slightly louder,,, You may keep that in mind if you are 'on the verge' of whackin' the resonators the first day you try the Mufflex,,,
Old 02-11-2010, 05:56 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 4 x 4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:10
Smitty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDon View Post
None, most aftermarket cat back's are designed with a pre-existing muffler the company has on its shelf and chances are they are not designing a specific muffler just for a single engine application. Most of these mufflers are dissipative mufflers such as magnaflow, which contain sound absorbing material to muffle the exhaust pulses. These mufflers are very common due to their relative ease of manufacture and straight-through design for increased flow. Generally this configuration does not have the same sound reducing performance of other designs but they do result in a reduction of backpressure. The factory muffler is a reactive muffler which uses a series of specifically designed expansion chambers to attenuate the high intensity sound pulses. It can be done but chances are, no company is going to take the time to develop a muffler which will work specifically with the MDS system on the Ram. There are some mufflers which will perform better than others but by no means were they intentionally designed to work with the MDS, it is just luck.