DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum

Notices

Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum Wax on, Wax off! Chat about anything that gives you Carpal Tunnel or Tennis Elbow in here! ;)

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-08-2010, 02:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie crew cab
Color: Grey
Rep:41
uktitus is on a distinguished road
Default Have paints improved

Since I have been in the States I have had 3 new trucks, I got my first truck a new Ford Ranger about 17 yrs ago. I kept it for about 100 k. In 97 I exchanged for a new Ram 1500 ex cab that I still have but down in Cal for the time being. This truck has done over 205k. Both truck after a very short time after washing waxing began to develop swirls, which on the Ford shook me as I was not expecting it. No computer no forums in those days did not bother to checkup on things and probably got fobbed off and accepted it .Glad I found this forum as it has been very educational. In Sept I bought my 2009 Ram 1500 Laramie. As I was concerned that with a truck of this expense that I should have the same problems as I have had in the past. I mentioned it to the dealer They recommended I have the truck Perma Plated. Which I had done, after 6 months and many washes I am really pleased that I had this done. It has really made washing the truck easy and not the slightest evidence of swirls. I mention this as I have now discovered some bad reviews on this procedure if not this product. "After all that the question is to all to you guys with new trucks is. Has paint improved or still do you have problems with swirls ECT? "
Sponsored links
Old 02-08-2010, 08:35 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie 4x2
Color: Deep Water Blue Two Tone
Rep:432
MightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really nice

I too had my truck perma-plated by the dealer. My concern was that how do I know they really did it because they said it was done already? I didn't see it done. But I guess it's there since with just washing, it looks shiny and has a mirror finish. I still use a wax to give it a little more protection and that slippery surface.

I think a lot of the bad reviews that I read had something to do with the fact that it's a dealer add-on so people assume it's a rip-off. Yeah, it's probably severely over charged but you are also getting a warranty on the paint. I don't know but what's done is done. You can't get a refund on it, I read the contract.

.[/I]

Last edited by MightyBlueRam; 02-08-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:16 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie crew cab
Color: Grey
Rep:41
uktitus is on a distinguished road
Default re paint

I had the truck a week or so before I had the Perma Plate done, defiantly a lot easier when washing. I was also at the dealers waiting for the truck to be finished so I know that it was done. I have just waxed the truck for the first time which as sure as eggs are eggs it rained at night, so we will see how the extra protection of waxing works. It is a shame that there is so much cynicism out there. I bought the truck in Petaluma Cal as I was down there for several months they were a pleasure to deal with, a couple of problems but no issues. I am back up in Seattle now and have taken the truck to a different Dodge dealership in Bellevue for oil changes and a couple of minor issue no problem just dealt with. and I have the feeling even if they were major they would still be resolved.The other thing I would say is that if you can do something yourself it can be cheap, but companies have to survive and they are not cheap to run.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:56 PM

Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:25
tjcin is on a distinguished road

The first thing we should address are "swirls." How do we get them and how do we prevent them. One of the major causes of swirls is improper washing techniques. Yup, that's right, improper washing techniques. Don't go get an old bath towel and the dish soap and wash the truck. Not enough lubricity and the wrong washpad are really bad for your finish. You need 2 buckets with a "GritGuard" in the bottom of each. One bucket is your rinse bucket and one is your wash bucket. After you wash a portion of the truck, rub your washmitt on the grit guard in your rinse bucket and then back to the soap bucket. This will prevent grime from the mitt making it back to your finish. Wash the truck about halfway up and save the dirtiest parts(rockers, lower fenders, lower doors, grill, tailgate) for last. Make sure you rub the washmitt each time on the grit guards before putting it back to the truck. I usually then get out the leaf blower and blow off as much water as I can, especially in the cracks and grooves. Spray a large section down with Detail Spray and dry it with a quality microfiber drying towel or synthetic chamois. No junk microfiber towels from WalMart or Costco. They WILL leave microscratches. This is a great way to wash your truck and help prevent those unwanted swirls and scratches. Good Luck
Old 02-19-2010, 06:00 PM

Vehicle: Jeep GC WK
Rep:964
hemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to behold

no swirls on my 08
Old 02-20-2010, 07:44 AM

Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:25
tjcin is on a distinguished road

I bet if you look at your paint with a 500w quartz light you would have a whole mess of swirls. On lighter color paints they are much less noticeable in natural light, but when the quartz is cast upon them they really show. I know I'm a little over the top when it comes to my truck, but I don't have to tell you, these things aren't cheap. I find it mind boggling how some people spend thousands on a new vehicle and don't take care of it.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:57 PM

Vehicle: 2007 & 2012 Dodge Rams
Trim Level: Sport & Power Wagon
Color: '07 - Brilliant Black, '12- Grey and Black Lower
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:970
ScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to behold

Well thats sounds like a great product. I never actualy heard of it before. Is there a way to get it put on, I have an 07?
Interior- Custom Gauge Face, 3 Auto Meter Gauge A-Pillar, 2 Tone Seats, 12" Kicker L7, Focal K2 Components, Dodge Door Sills, Recon LED Map & Dome lights
Exterior- 20" Moto Metal 951, 40" BFG KM2s, N-Fab W2W Black Side Steps, Recon Black Headlights & Tails+3rd Brake Light & Light Bar, Hella 500s, T-Rex X-Metal Black 1pc Grille, Tints All Around, Painted Bushwacker Pocket Flares & Door Handles & Mirrors, LoRider Tonneau Cover, Hornblasters Train Horns, Iron Bull Bumper w/PIAA Fog & Driving Lights