DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-09-2010, 02:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie 4x2
Color: Deep Water Blue Two Tone
Rep:432
MightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman View Post
How long have you been on the floor? You said you just want to do your job and go home. Then I think you missed the part in training where they told you that you were going to apart of a team. You are a adult, deal with them like adults. If you don't want to play as apart of the team tell them. But don't expect to be aprt of that team anymore. You are just a guy who works in the same building as the rest of the crew...and goes home.

I am guessing you aren't new to the firefighter culture. Nothing has changed in 50 years. So if the job is the same and the guys are the same...what has changed?

I am sure that my response is unlikey to be popular. And many people who do not do what we do will not understand. But I am guessing you do and this is not the first time you have heard this speach.
So what's wrong with me doing my job, studying to get ahead, and doing my details? Because I don't want to screw around with 2 of the 10 guys that makes me not part of the team? Are they part of the team when they don't do they're station duties and the rest of us have to pick up their slack?

Just because something hasn't changed in the last 50 years, does that make it right? I'm an adult and if I don't want to be part of the games then I would expect to be left out. If that means not "being part of the team" then fine. Yes we are cooped up for 24 hours in a station and we have to work and live together. Yes we need an outlet for our boredom and stress. Does it have to be on each other? You'd be ok and laugh about someone putting a grape in their mucus covered nose and then you eating it? If you find that funny, then you are a better person than me.

I completely understand where you are coming from but even in the fire service, there has to be respect and boundaries. That's the way I see it, tradition or not.

.[/I]

Last edited by MightyBlueRam; 02-09-2010 at 03:02 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 02-09-2010, 05:50 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT sport
Color: red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:183
Dann has a spectacular aura aboutDann has a spectacular aura about

The way I see it yes they take it too far, maybe you could go down the route of health n saftey but could end bad ie sackings.

But easier way you start back, go to pet shop buy a male and female mice then on your way home make sure they are out post the mice through there letter box, within a week they be infested hahaha. Other thing is when they in bed asleep order pizza and taxi for them at 3am etc even to there houses.
Oh yea all your junk mail and spam etc fill it all out in there name address etc and send it off haha

Another find aload of snails n slugs then go fill there boots with them, ring the bell for a emergency and boom watch them squeltch hahaha.

Also when they sleep sound put a cup off pea on each of there beds then as they move in the night ooooops awwww you need nappies hahaha wetting the bed at there age lol.

If they have messed with the capt, then speak to the capt in private and see if he wants to play dirty too more than likely he will be able to pull a few higher rank tricks.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:24 AM

Rep:2217
iRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond repute

I hear ya Mighty. If you've already voiced concern and it has gone unheeded, then I wouldn't leave my personal items anywhere within reach. The water bottle, food etc.....If you try to return the favor, just remember the saying, "it's always the second one that gets caught", so if you try to one up them, it might be construed as over the top and now you are in trouble. I would just focus on being the adult and try one more time to tell them that it's ok to joke, but some of it is going to far and can get everyone in trouble with OSHA or whomever.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:38 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Am I correct in understanding that if you aren't a practical joker then you aren't part of the team regardless of how well you perform your duties?
Old 02-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

Sounds like the supervisor isn't worth his salt if he allows 2 out of 10 guys to continually act like this. If that's the case if it were me I'd move on since working under that kind of "leadership" isn't going to get you anywhere in the end.

Being part of the team is a two way street. If 2 guys are doing their own thing it seems as if they have separated themselves from that team. I would have a hard time trusting my life with those individuals when it's time to work.

When I deployed onboard ships in the Navy, thousands of us were cooped up together for months on end with nothing to do but work/eat/sleep. There would be the occasional pranks but I never saw any go over the top like you're having to endure. Real men find productive ways to cope without having to regress in age behavior.

Last edited by Quiet Lunatic; 02-09-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:44 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Ram QC
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Electric Blue Pearlcoat
Engine: 2008-2008 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:35
rjs2005 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to rjs2005

It's tough to hear, but I concur 100% with Incognito. Pranks and practical jokes can be funny and actually can contribute to unit cohesiveness, but there comes a time when it just becomes harrassment. If I came to a point that I was considering leaving the job over it, I would definitely let the boss know. If he's a boss worth his weight, he'll do something about it.

Sometimes, the right thing to do is the absolute hardest of all. I assure you, you are not the only person there who is tired of the abuse. Maybe you are the person who will have the intestinal fortitude to stand up and put a stop to it. Yes, for a while you might be the "bad guy", but in the end the station will be better for it.

One word of advice: If you do decide to take it on, make sure your sh@! don't stink, if you get my drift. In other words, make damn sure you aren't participating.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:57 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie 4x2
Color: Deep Water Blue Two Tone
Rep:432
MightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really nice

Like fireman said, it's part of firefighter tradition to play practical jokes on each other. It's been happening for many years and I don't see it stopping. I would never think of taking it to the leadership because I'm not going to be that guy who everyone hates for being an adult. All I'm saying is that as individuals, we should be considerate enough to know when enough is enough and when what you are doing is disgusting or out of line. Those things I described above are just a few of the many other things that happen. One firefighter I know had his phone ruined when they dumped a bucket of water on him. When he confronted the bucketeers to pay for the phone, the bucketeers became offended that he wanted them to pay for the phone. It ended up going to brass and now that guy who in my view did the right thing by asking to get his $500 phone replaced, is now an outcast. I mean seriously, does firefighter = infant, inmature, ignorant? NO.

.[/I]

Old 02-09-2010, 10:01 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I agree. I'm as much of a practical joker as anyone in our shop (and our shop is full of them) but there is a point where it can go too far. Being somewhat spiteful at times, I'd take $500 out of someones ass for tearing up my phone.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:04 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Ram QC
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Electric Blue Pearlcoat
Engine: 2008-2008 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:35
rjs2005 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to rjs2005

I'm sorry Mighty, I know you want to succeed in your job and be an important part of the team, but that's bullshit. I served a very long time in the Navy, in submarines, and believe me, submariners have elevated the art of the prank to new heights. Just like firefighters, we depend on each other to keep ourselves alive. There is no place onboard a boat for folks who think that humiliation and destruction of personal property is ok. I was pranked, it went too far a couple of times, and I took care of it. I couldn't possibly care less if those a-holes thought less of me, since they were less than men, and worst of all, less than shipmates. Keep in mind that in the service the option of quitting or a quick transfer isn't there. You learn to do one of two things: cope with it, or deal with it. I chose the latter.

Of course, I'm not there in your situation. You have to decide if it's worth it. I wish you well friend, that's a tough situation to be in.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:05 AM

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

I'm with ya Mighty, 100%