DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:41
fireman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyBlueRam View Post
Like fireman said, it's part of firefighter tradition to play practical jokes on each other. It's been happening for many years and I don't see it stopping. I would never think of taking it to the leadership because I'm not going to be that guy who everyone hates for being an adult. All I'm saying is that as individuals, we should be considerate enough to know when enough is enough and when what you are doing is disgusting or out of line. Those things I described above are just a few of the many other things that happen. One firefighter I know had his phone ruined when they dumped a bucket of water on him. When he confronted the bucketeers to pay for the phone, the bucketeers became offended that he wanted them to pay for the phone. It ended up going to brass and now that guy who in my view did the right thing by asking to get his $500 phone replaced, is now an outcast. I mean seriously, does firefighter = infant, inmature, ignorant? NO.
If it is only 2 of 10 guys, then these things tend to work themselves out in a hurry. That means 80% of guys on shift are sick of their crap right? So how has this gone on so long? How long has this crew been working together?

The grape in the nose is out of hand, and the phone being wrecked is a no brainer (obviously someone has to pay for that)

But being upset because you sneezed for a hour because of baby powder? or someone salted your water? That is pretty normal stuff no?

I have never seen 2 guys run a entire shift before. Has the captain, lieutenant, or senior man have nothing to say about this? Why haven't the other 8 guys on shift sat down at lunch/dinner/during PT or any other time as a crew and told these guys enough is enough?

Seems really odd to me.

Others on the forum will side with you immediately (that is why you started this thread right?) however I am skeptical about it.

I am a career firefighter. This is the only thing I have done for 13 years now. And in all of that time I have never experienced 2 men taking over a entire shift and making it uncomfortable for the men.

I have however on a few occasions met guys who joined the fire dept. And just did not fit in. They probably went onto a internet forum somewhere and told others about all of the hardships they endure at work in order to get some sympathy.

Now maybe I have said too much. But I am proud of what I do. I am proud to be apart of the culture. And for some reason this thread is hitting my crazy button.
Sponsored links
Old 02-09-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remerson228 View Post
Am I correct in understanding that if you aren't a practical joker then you aren't part of the team regardless of how well you perform your duties?
Absolutely not. It really comes down to fitting in. If everyone walks the same, talks the same, dresses the same...the team runs like a well oiled machine. Manouvers on the fire ground are flawless, and everyone returns safe.

Obviously grapes in the nose and buckets of water have NOTHING to do with the fire ground.

But when one guy all of a sudden stands out, and does things different. It makes you wonder why does it not?

Like why is tis the only guy in his crew that seems to have a issue?

And when you are one apart from a crowd of peers.......you are no longer apart of the team.

They are adults (apparently 10 adults). I am positive that if there is a problem it will be dealt with quickly. Because that is also apart of the culture.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:07 AM

I just talked to a couple of other guys from work, and after a good conversation, we were wondering if you are being singled out, or if this is just what happens day to day to all of the guys in the station?
Old 02-09-2010, 11:14 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I understand fitting in but if one person wishes to be excluded then everyone else involved should have enough respect for their coworker to leave them out of the horseplay without it having a negative effect on the team while on a call.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:18 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Ram QC 4x4 HEMI
Trim Level: SLT OFF ROAD
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:48
Kens04 is on a distinguished road

I say you rally with the all the others...but make sure they keep quiet. Think of months full of jokes and pranks, then think of more, keep a list and look them up online. Start hitting them so hard they wont have time to retaliate. If they put grapes in their nose then rub their begal on your ass, if they dump all that stuff in the shower, you dump a bucket of mice on them. They go the hot sauce route...get hotter hot sauce or better yet put something that tastes like sh!t on it. Salt and pepper in the captians water, hot sauce in theirs, or cayanne pepper. Balloons filled with baby powder...ballons filled with mud, or bugs from the pet store. And if they want to start becasue they can dish it out but cant take it, fight em. Probably not the best advice but I feel like your kind of stuck and eventually your going to hit a ro and not know what to do anymore, or you are there already. Dont know what happens if you fight there but the place kind of sounds like a joke to me, 50 years of pranks or not. Hit them back, if they cant take the joke tell them to go eat sh!t they started it.

Good luck
Old 02-09-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I understand fitting in but if one person wishes to be excluded then everyone else involved should have enough respect for their coworker to leave them out of the horseplay without it having a negative effect on the team while on a call.

Totally agree here
Old 02-09-2010, 11:24 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie 4x2
Color: Deep Water Blue Two Tone
Rep:432
MightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really nice

These 2 guys I am referring to, are not old timers. They do whatever they want because they only hit me and another guy. They don't mess with the old timers either. So the others don't complain. The officers don't say anything unless they are affected.

Majority of the crew at my station is very young and they love to play. But I've just realized that if I play back, I can't win because they are a tag team. So maybe I should just give up and say you know what, screw it. I'll just let them screw with me all they want because they won't stop and I want to fit in. At least that's what I get from what you are saying. Or maybe I should just tell them "f$# you and your jokes, I don't care what you think of me."

Maybe I just need my crazy meds.

.[/I]

Old 02-09-2010, 11:39 AM

How long have you been on?
Old 02-09-2010, 11:57 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Personally, I have a couple different philosophies. "Do unto others before they do unto you" and "don't retailiate, escalate!"
Old 02-09-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Personally, I have a couple different philosophies. "Do unto others before they do unto you" and "don't retailiate, escalate!"

Randy's got the right idea here.

Or yes tell them to go fu$k themselves and their jokes, but I dont think the outcome of that will be any better.