DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Granite Crystal Metallic
Rep:81
gregster will become famous soon enough
Default Leak found at 5500 KM

So the RAM went in to my local mechanic today for my first ever oil change. As soon as it went up on the hoist he found a small leak.

Since I was not the one taking the truck in I did not see the leak myself, but it was described to me as a "small leak around the power steering rack".

Man, what a downer. I know its a warranty issue, but dealing with the dealership service department is always such a pain. Has anyone had an issue like this and if so, any details on what work was required by the dealer.

I am taking the truck in tomorrow morning, but I already know in the back of my head that after having the truck all day the dealer will have to give it back to me "as is" while they wait on whatever parts are required for a repair. I am hoping there is some kind of gasket or something that could be causing this, but I really don't know.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:31 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Depends on where the leak is coming from. If it's not pouring, it's not really anything to fret over. It could be just a bad o-ring on the pressure line.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remerson228 View Post
Depends on where the leak is coming from. If it's not pouring, it's not really anything to fret over. It could be just a bad o-ring on the pressure line.
It was described by my mechanic as "moisture" on the metal, rather than an actual "dripping" leak. Its not like I have any fluid on my driveway, but there was enough there for him to see it right away.

I would be very pleased to hear it was something like an o-ring. Who knows... they may even have a new one in stock!! (but knowing them, I doubt it!)
Old 02-12-2010, 01:07 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Keep us in the loop, always good to know about small issues that can be easily fixed.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:58 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 CC 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Rep:71
topgun will become famous soon enough

If it was just a little damp looking and you get nothing on the driveway, I personally would wipe it down and see if it returns. Might of been there since day one and not a leak at all.

You know, the oil filter is right above the rack and there is pretty much no way to get it off without some spilling. Just saying......
Old 02-12-2010, 05:02 PM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I'd be happy I had a service department that pointed it out and plans to fix it as opposed to having one that swept it under the rug because they didn't want to fool with it under warranty.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:08 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 CC 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Rep:71
topgun will become famous soon enough

Yeah but if it really wasn't an issue and they planned to fix something that wasn't broken to get work (which does happen), then you could be worse off in the end if they let a monkey do the work.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:35 PM

Technically, the person that pointed that out wasn't supposed to do that because it's considered "upselling warranty work". Anyone that works for a dealership can tell you that warranty flat rate times suck next to the customer pay rates because when they calculate warranty times they're working on brand new trucks without the problems that go with working on a truck that's spent a few years on the road already. Warranty time rarely reflects the actual time it takes to do a job but that's how manufacturers pay.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:44 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Cummins 3500 Crew cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White/two tone
Engine: 2007-???? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:34
Snowman is on a distinguished road

Good for the dealer tech to spot this oil leak, nice to have a good tech let you know . Keep an eye on it as it sounds like nothing to worry over.

I don't remember seeing any monkeys at the dealerships around here, topgun.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun View Post
If it was just a little damp looking and you get nothing on the driveway, I personally would wipe it down and see if it returns. Might of been there since day one and not a leak at all.

You know, the oil filter is right above the rack and there is pretty much no way to get it off without some spilling. Just saying......

Topgun you may have actually hit the nail on the head. The truck went to the dealership today and they could not find a leak! Once the moisture was wiped off the rack the source was not visible at all. I would be happy to hear it was simply something spilled on it, but given that the truck has never had an oil change (2 months old) I don't see who could have spilled anything on it.

To clarify my first post, it was my local mechanic who was doing the initial oil change (not a Dealership). He saw the moisture on the rack and brought it to my attention. He basically said that he thought it would be worth taking to the dealership, to have them see what the trouble was (since it would obviously by something covered by warranty).

Anyhow, I'm not sure what to say at this point. The fluid was there before the truck had ever had an oil change. How could it possibly get there? Do you guys think it was possible that it has been on there since it was shipped from the factory? That seems hard to believe but who knows.