DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-13-2010, 12:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:29
CHADDER03 is on a distinguished road
Default Oil grade

I recently had my oil changed and I know my truck is suppose to had 5w20 in it. I decided to change to synthetic and my mechanic put in 10w30. He said that the 5w20 is to thin and wouldn't protect enough, I put a lot of trust in my mechanic and I'm confidant in his work and knowledge... But I'm just wondering what someone else's take on this would be. Bad/good idea? gains/losses?etc
Thanks in advance for the input

Last edited by CHADDER03; 02-13-2010 at 01:53 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 02-13-2010, 01:32 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

The issue with 10W30 is that if you have the MDS system, the heavier oil doesn't allow a clean shift in and out since it's an oil pressure activated roller arm. I highly recommend you tell your mechanic he's an idiot and put 5W20 in. The 5W20 is the recommended weight for a reason.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:57 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:29
CHADDER03 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advise, should I change it out now or will it be fine to wait till my next change? also i heard once you change to syn you cant change back and that it is good to stick with the same brand as well? not that i want to change back to conventional oil just curious
Old 02-13-2010, 02:04 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

It's a personal choice, but I'd change soon since I want my engine running at it's peak.

Only difference in brands is quality, so synthetics like Mobil 1 vs Amsoil/Royal Purple is a choice. I run full Amsoil in my HEMI and endorse it wholeheartedly. You can switch between synthetic and dino with no issues with the modern gaskets. The old issues were with the gaskets that would swell/shrink and then leak.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:06 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 2X4
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:236
GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHADDER03 View Post
Thanks for the advise, should I change it out now or will it be fine to wait till my next change? also i heard once you change to syn you cant change back and that it is good to stick with the same brand as well? not that i want to change back to conventional oil just curious
That's not entirely true. Most people don't recommend switching back and forth willy nilly but I've yet to hear and empirical evidence that switching does anything bad. I've heard plenty of hearsay, but no proper scientific data to that effect.

The problem with most "thin" oil is that they continue to thin more as they break down and end up acting like the lower viscosity number all through the thermal range. True full synthetics (read as amsoil and mobile 1) are extreamly resistant to this breakdown (search zonestar's post on this if you want the full explaination). These oils will protect, as the manufacturer recommended, for long than dino oils with viscosity improvers.

Bottom line, use the 5W20, but use a good one.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:12 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:1845
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

DOes this so-called mechanic really believe that Chrysler hasn't tested their engines on 5W-20? You should take it back to them as soon as you get the chance and make then put in 5W-20.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:37 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:43
rickerred is on a distinguished road

You should go back to your mechanic with the paper work showing you need 5-20 oil and ask him to change it for you, if he will not change it, speak to his/her boss, if still nothing tell them you are going to report the garage to the Better Business Bureau. If you have to make the report to BBB, I would find a new mechanic as they may be a little pissed.

Future Mods: What ever I can sneak by my wife.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:07 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Crew Sport
Color: Black
Rep:14
Cormacs is on a distinguished road

The newer trucks actually have the software to detect oil visocosity useing the oil temperature and oil pressure sensor. It could actually set a check engine light if the viscosity get's too wild.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:18 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 10 VW GTI
Trim Level: 1500 express
Color: Dark cherry
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:98
09Hemi will become famous soon enough

engines with MDS have to have the recommended oil because thats what its tuned and built for. on the heavy side(10w30) it will mess with the MDS because it cannot flow properly and making it hesitant to kicking in... therefore lowering your gas mileage. however a thinner oil 0w30(20 if you can find it) 5w20 so on so forth will not affect it as much seeing as how its thin and will flow threw the oil ports just the same. if anything activating it sooner... this being said, with MDS you need to not go too far in any direction or it will make MDS useless because it will turn on and off at the undesired times or at random. that mech should change it out at no cost because one... hes an idiot and does not know it will mess with the MDS and two it was his fault for not researching the motor before working on it. manufacturers recommend oils for a reason.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:03 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Blue Streak Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:135
HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough

Well, if the (independent) mechanic 'discussed' this with you prior to changing the oil, and you agreed, he doesnt 'owe' you anything, as you consented.

If he is a dealer based mech, you may have a little more lee-way, as he is technically not following the mfg's recomendations

0W-30 is no thinner than 10W-30 'at normal operating temperature', only when 'cold' is it thinner

Use a good quality Dino 5W/20, changed as outlined in the manual, and you should never encounter any oil-related issues.

If you want to run synthetics, that's fine too. Not required, but with a 6 month maximum time interval between changes as specified in my 09 owners manual, I'm not sure that even Dino will be 'getting tired' by then.

Hauling, towing, and hot conditions shorten the life of oil, and Synthetics handle those conditions better than Dino.

Dirty and 'modified engine' conditions ({many} CAI's, Programmer's, etc) contaminate your oil moreso than an all OEM engine, and you oils service life, be it Dino or synthetic, will be shortened.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by HoustonHemi; 02-13-2010 at 02:10 PM.