DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:29
CHADDER03 is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot for all the info, the truck seems to be running fine and the mds kicks in and out as it always has and I havent noticed any mpg loss. The only thing I have noticed is before the oil change when I started it up there would be a small puff of smoke that would come out and now nothing. When I had it changed it was down a litre and I have aprox 4000kms on it now since the oil change and it is not down a bit. The problem with causing a stink at the shop is the mechanic is a buddy of mine and he owns the shop. So causing problems really wouldnt be a good idea for me, he recommended that I change it every 7500km and I'm over half way there so I might just wait and have him put the proper oil in next time?
Sponsored links
Old 02-13-2010, 01:55 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright Red
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:11
Zekery360 is on a distinguished road

I would change it now. It can only help at this point. Bring the truck to a Dodge dealer or do it yourself to make sure you are getting the right stuff, and good quality stuff. And just tell your buddy that you want your oil changed at a dealer so you get the right stuff. With modern engines the old "5-30 or 10-30" generalization doesn't work at all. Many engines are moving to a thinner weight oil, and for good reason.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:55 PM

Vehicle: 2010 dodge ram quad cab
Trim Level: slt/bighorn
Color: silver
Rep:43
will is on a distinguished road

When i changed to synthetic i also noticed an oil puff. No big deal it will go away shortly. Well if you have an engine failure GOODLUCK getting warranty work done when you have the wrong oil in it.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:12 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I can guarantee an engine problem caused by incorrect viscosity oil in an engine won't be covered if they discover it. Speaking of lightweight oils, the V-10 uses 0W-40 synthetic and is factory filled with Mobil 1.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remerson228 View Post
I can guarantee an engine problem caused by incorrect viscosity oil in an engine won't be covered if they discover it. Speaking of lightweight oils, the V-10 uses 0W-40 synthetic and is factory filled with Mobil 1.
True. If it is in the manual, go by it..
Old 02-13-2010, 04:26 PM

Vehicle: 2oo9 standard cab 4~4 1500 ram
Trim Level: plain
Color: pearl black
Rep:10
eltoro2 is on a distinguished road

my dealer said that 5/20 is recmemded as the new engene has closer tolerence , but I am thinking the more milage you put on it the more wear and looser tolerences . mine when started in morring I have a valve noise like a loose valve tapit . only have 10,000 miles on my hemmi 57 . what do make of that . curious ///
Old 02-13-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltoro2 View Post
my dealer said that 5/20 is recmemded as the new engene has closer tolerence , but I am thinking the more milage you put on it the more wear and looser tolerences . mine when started in morring I have a valve noise like a loose valve tapit . only have 10,000 miles on my hemmi 57 . what do make of that . curious ///
Thats called the hemi tick. or so it has been called.

Last edited by will; 02-13-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:33 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I'd say you have the typical Hemi tick. Tolerances have nothing to do with viscosity. Race engines have super tight tolerances and run much heavier oils.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:18 PM

Vehicle: 09 Ram 1500 Reg Cab SB
Trim Level: SLT w/5.7 and 3.92
Color: Black
Rep:112
HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHADDER03 View Post
Thanks a lot for all the info, the truck seems to be running fine and the mds kicks in and out as it always has and I havent noticed any mpg loss. The only thing I have noticed is before the oil change when I started it up there would be a small puff of smoke that would come out and now nothing. When I had it changed it was down a litre and I have aprox 4000kms on it now since the oil change and it is not down a bit.

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]I don't know for a fact that there have been any engine oil related 'failures' when using 'X'w-30 instead of 'X'w-20, but as they say, if there was a problem and they could pin it on the wrong viscosity, that would suck! As I understand it, the -30 'affects' the operation of MDS system,,,/COLOR]

The problem with causing a stink at the shop is the mechanic is a buddy of mine and he owns the shop. So causing problems really wouldnt be a good idea for me, he recommended that I change it every 7500km and I'm over half way there so I might just wait and have him put the proper oil in next time?
I hear ya on pizzen off a friend,,, No reason to make a stink out of it,,, Just indicate 'next time' that Dodge will have a fit if ya use anything else, so you want to use it and see 'if it works' and to try and avoid any waranty related issues,,, If the guy is your friend, he shouldn't have a problem giving ya what you want, even if it isn't 'what he would use',,, Make "Dodge" out to be the reason,,, (My wifes 02 Accord uses 5W-20, so it's 'been around' for quite a while)

I think your Mechanic is right (in a way) when he indicates 'X'w-30 would give you 'more protection' than 'X'w-20. The 'heavier' oils would normally have a higher film strength, but here again, oils are sooo much better now than they were 20 yrs ago, and the MFG recommends it,,, The MFG is simply not going to recommend anything as critical as oil/oil change intervals that are going be detrimental to their product.

As far as when to go to 5W-20, IMHO, there is probably no major 'harm' done in waiting till 'next time', and certainly no harm done in doing it now.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:27 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:29
CHADDER03 is on a distinguished road

HOUSTONHEMI---- thanks for the input, i belive we are on the same page. i havent noticed a change in any operation of the motor and at the price of synthetic oil i didnt really want to have it changed so soon. i think this is the reason behind why he did what he did: he services a lot of hemi's my old 03 included and with the 5w20 (no matter which brand) everyone of those trucks brand new and older all seem to burn through a litre (give or take), and not one of them has a leak. it also seems the guys who drive their truck a little hard myself included seem to burn through a little more. at my first oil change i was down around a litre. so im guessing he thought that maybe a heavier weight oil would protect a little better and maybe not burn up as easy, and as far as not burning as quick he is right ive put 4000kms on since it was changed and my oil level hasnt drop a cm on the dipstick. as for the fuel econ and the mds nothing has changed the mds kicks in and out exactly the same as it always has and my fuel econ hasnt changed at all during normal driving conditions. my next change i will forsure be putting in 5w20 just to keep things on the up and up, now i dont know forsure that that is the reason but its my best guess. as far as damage to the motor i personally cant see that, keeping in mind i am not a mechanic nor do i claim to be but i do have a pretty good grasp on things and i do a lot of my repairs and modifications myself. that being said i think his heart was in the right place, it may not have been the best idea but... im not goin to hold it against him. i know he would never knowingly do something to my truck that would damage it.