DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright Red
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:11
Zekery360 is on a distinguished road
Default Rattle with Engine Speed

Well, here is my large problem I have been "blessed" with. About 6 months or less ago, a dealership installed a remaned transmission in my pickup. A week later, I had to bring it in again to have a new torque converter put in, as they must have not seated the first one correctly (see angry thread in "Dealer Issues" section). The reason I mention this is because now, I get a rattle that grows with engine speed. And anywhere up over 3500 RPM when under a load, such as merging onto the highway, the truck vibrates like a cell phone getting a call. I just noticed the rattle this morning, it was probably covered up by my exhaust and loud music most of the time. The vibration and rattle, and how they act, both point me at the flywheel. Being as these engines are externally balanced, that explained the vibration, but now if it shook itself loose, or is broken somehow, then the rattle is explained. So my two questions are these: 1) Am I correct in pointing at the flywheel? and 2) Is this something I could convince the dealer to pay for, as I am fairly certain flywheels are supposed to stay bolted up and not break? Thanks for the help in advance guys!
Sponsored links
Old 02-13-2010, 11:29 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I'd take it back to them and have them make sure they didn't leave any converter bolts or anything else loose. Since this problem didn't rear its ugly head until they worked on itand is engine speed related, they should be willing to at least look at it for no charge IMO.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:51 AM

That is just what I wanted to hear, especially from a certified tech. Nice badge btw. This problem didn't come up for a few months though, is it possible something was left un-torqued and shook loose or something similar? I am going there today, so I kinda wanna know what I am up against, and what they will probably blame it on. Thanks for the quick response!
Old 02-13-2010, 12:04 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Difficult to say what it could be. Is this rattle/vibration present at those engine speeds while in park or neutral as well as when you're driving?
Old 02-13-2010, 12:17 PM

Yeah, I put the engine in park and brought the rpm up, and I can hear the rattle starting at about 1k RPM. It sounds like it gets faster/ worse as engine speed increases. The issue used to just be the vibration at high RPM, I just heard the rattle this morning. One of my instructors suggested that perhaps they bolted the flywheel in funny, throwing it out of balance. Maybe enough high RPM drives could have caused the rattle?