DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-14-2010, 11:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:45
Ray is on a distinguished road
Default Manual shifting question?

I have the 2010 Ram 1500 sport. I noticed when using the manual shift, the transer from 2nd gear to 3rd gear is kind of sluggish and has a lag. I tried shifting into 3rd gear at differnt speeds and rpm's and still got the same results. Every other gear seem to have a nice hard shift when I use the shifter manually. Plus when I just keep it in drive and don't shift manually all the gears seem to shift fine. Anybody else notice this or am I doing something wrong when shifting manually
Mods:Mopar fiber glass Tonneau cover,Nerf Bars,Bully Hitch bar,husky mud guards,stubby antenna,Edge guards,weather mats,20%tint all around+windsheild,lisence plate covers,Upgrage to REN w/back up cam,Magnaflow 18, putco bulbs,LED interior/plate bulbs,viper smartstart

Sponsored links
Old 02-14-2010, 11:48 PM

Trim Level: Laramie 4x2
Color: Deep Water Blue Two Tone
Rep:432
MightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really nice

I haven't messed around with the manual shift too much on my truck. Could it be that you are shifting too soon at a low rpm? It's the only thing I can think of.

.[/I]

Old 02-14-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyBlueRam View Post
I haven't messed around with the manual shift too much on my truck. Could it be that you are shifting too soon at a low rpm? It's the only thing I can think of.
I thought that as well, but I have tried revving out 2nd gear before shifting into third and still experinced a lag shift
Mods:Mopar fiber glass Tonneau cover,Nerf Bars,Bully Hitch bar,husky mud guards,stubby antenna,Edge guards,weather mats,20%tint all around+windsheild,lisence plate covers,Upgrage to REN w/back up cam,Magnaflow 18, putco bulbs,LED interior/plate bulbs,viper smartstart

Old 02-15-2010, 01:01 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram QC 4x2
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:23
MotorCityRam is on a distinguished road

I've heard aftermarket flash tuners can help with this but I've never owned a late model automatic w/ man shift (regardless of make) that shifted quickly in manual mode.

2010 Quad Cap Sport 4x2 / Inferno Red / HEMI / 3.92s / leather / Truxedo Truxsport tonneau
Old 02-15-2010, 04:01 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 CC 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Rep:71
topgun will become famous soon enough

You do realize that when you are in ERS mode (manual), the gear pattern used is different? ERS or Tow Haul enables the extra underdrive gear. So it uses the one labeled "2nd Prime" when shifting. It will say 3 on the dash but 2nd Prime is actually what you are in. 4 is actually 3rd and finally 5 is actually 4th, the max gear you can be in in that mode.

Below you can see the ratio difference from 2nd to 2nd Prime is not that great so the shift will feel really strange. Almost like it didn't shift. I'd just about guarantee that is what you are feeling. If left in Auto, this gear is not used unless you downshift such as to pass. So it will skip that gear and shift directly to 3rd causing the tranny to feel a lot different.

This shifting setup is far from a manual even when in ERS mode. It just limits the max gear you can be in.

Sounds crazy but that is the way it works. It's all spelled out in your owners manual.

Quote:
1st-3.00:1
2nd-1.67:1
2nd Prime-1.50:1
3rd-1.00:1
4th-0.75:1
5th-0.67:1

Last edited by topgun; 02-15-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:37 PM

Thx topgun, that was a great explanation and makes sense. The way you described it was what I was feeling. I am just glad that it's normal and there is nothing wrong with my tranny

Old 03-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
HEMICOWBOY is on a distinguished road
Default manual shifting

I heard they changed the 5th gear ratio from .67 to .50 in 2009. can anybody confirm this.