DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:18
Cap10crch is on a distinguished road
Default Flowmaster 50 Series HD

I spoke to a guy at Flowmaster today about a new exhaust for my 2010 Ram 1500 Sport. I first asked about a true dual set up (I have true dual 40 series on my old truck and I love the sound) and he said that a true dual set up on the 2010 will void the warranty on the engine because the computer bases alot of information off of the Y pipe. That actually seems legit to me.

He said that I would have to go with a single inlet, dual outlet if I wanted to change my muffler. I asked him about the Super 40 or Super 44 and he said that they were not recommended because they would restrict the new Hemi's breathing.

He said they created the 50 Series HD specifically for the Ram Hemi and although it's not quite as loud as the 40 or 44 but still has a decent tone and will result in power gains and better mileage for my truck. So if I am looking for any performance gains I need to use the 50 HD and if I just want noise with stock muffler performance then I can do the 40 or 44.

It makes sense because before I called Flowmaster I talked to a custom exhaust installer and he said the same exact thing. (He recommended the 50 Series HD)

Anyone running a 50 series HD 3 inch inlet 2.5 inch dual outlet? I've looked at the videos on Youtube but I wanted to get any information I can from people who have these on their trucks. Does the truck have a decent growl at idle? I love firing up my old truck and hearing it roar and don't want to miss it when I'm driving my new one.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Crew Sport
Color: Black
Rep:14
Cormacs is on a distinguished road

To me, it sounds like this guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap10crch View Post
he said that a true dual set up on the 2010 will void the warranty on the engine because the computer bases alot of information off of the Y pipe. That actually seems legit to me.
The computer doesn't base any information off the "Y". The exhaust has 4 individual o2 sensor's, two for each bank, nothing where the two pipes come together. As long as you placed the two o2's on the one bank and two o2's on the other bank a true dual set-up woul work fine and would not affect warranty.

Now to the muffler issue. I still preach the fact that you do not want to buy any muffler that does not specifically say meant for MDS unless you know for sure it sounds good with a HEMI with MDS. I can assure you, you will not like the sound this motor makes when it kicks into MDS mode with a performance muffler that is not designed to muffle the drone the MDS makes.

Another thing, I'm a chrysler tech and we have never voided warranties for any type of exhaust modification. Any we have seen some wild exhaust systems.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Rep:18
Cap10crch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormacs View Post
Another thing, I'm a chrysler tech and we have never voided warranties for any type of exhaust modification. Any we have seen some wild exhaust systems.
Ok thank you for the insight.

I'd love to have true duals on my new truck just like I do on my old one, I'm going to talk to my exhaust guy and see what he thinks would be best for the truck. As far as MDS is concerned I heard you can disable it by keeping the truck in 5th gear via taptronic, using the tow/haul mode, or turning overdrive off. Any truth to any of that?

Being a Chrysler tech have you ever given anybody warranty issues over a 6 inch Superlift with 37 inch tires? Or any lift for that matter?

Thanks for your help bud.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:58 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2657
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

i am not a tech, i am a shadetree mechanic without the tree

but, i have read that if you put in a crossover pipe, either the H type, or the X type
it equalizes the back pressure & helps illuminate the drone that you hear when MDS kicks in
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 02-18-2010, 11:59 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram RC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Sport
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:71
Get Bit will become famous soon enough

I have had 4 rams, all but one had magnaflow mufflers, I also have several friends with a mixture of all 03-05 Rams with the Hemi. 2 of them have flowmasters, the others have Magnaflow and on my 4th (current) ram I have a cherry bomb muffler. The CB on mine was not by choice as it was bought used which is a first for me.

I also have a friend with an 06 hemi with MDS.. I know that sounds are subjective and is a matter of taste and opinion, but over all and with dozens of peoples opinions, the magnaflows have a deeper, less raspy sound versus the FM.. The one 06 that has the MDS+ FM does not sound too bad, until the mds kicks in and then it sounds terrible..

I understand that the new HEMI probably sounds different than the early version, but I would try and find someone who has other mufflers installed along with the FM and make your own assessment. I for one actually like my cherry bomb muffler and looks just like all the others and not a glass pack type that I would expect. So, for me I am going to leave it on, if I were to change it, I would go magnaflow.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:56 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Crew Sport
Color: Black
Rep:14
Cormacs is on a distinguished road

Yes if you lock it into 5th the mds will not kick in. But is the sound worth the lost fuel economy? As far as your other question no We have never voided someone's warranty due to a lift. We have seen some crazy lifts especially in jeeps, we keep fixing them. The only thing we wont warranty is something that is not factory, obviously.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:03 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Quad Cab 1500 2WD
Trim Level: SLT Lone Star
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:268
txhemi is a jewel in the roughtxhemi is a jewel in the roughtxhemi is a jewel in the rough

50 series Flowmaster with 3" in, dual 2.5" out dumped.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:49 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L Hemi Crew
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Stone White
Rep:56
LadyRam will become famous soon enough

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=48293&page=2

I posted before and after video on my '09
post #16
Mods: Chrome Gas Door, Chrome Bedrails, Chrome Bug Shield, Chrome Oval Steps, Access Cover, Rhino Liner, Tinting, Stainless Door Sill Guards, Flowmaster 50 H.D., Recon LED Lightbar, K&N Filter, Power Tailgate Lock, EZ Down
Old 02-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
BigBzHemiRam is on a distinguished road

I am thinking of putting a Cherry Bomb extreme 1 in 2 out or mabey just 1 in and 1 out. I love the old hot rod sound they produce with the hemi. My concerns are proper back pressure and MDS sound. The MDS makes the factory exhaust sound like sheet now. I can only imagine what it will sound like with the cb extreme. Anyone have any insight on these issues?
Old 08-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 4X4
Trim Level: slt
Color: greystone
Rep:10
albryant is on a distinguished road
Default flowmaster

Got the flowmaster 50 installed yesterday, it sounds deeps at idle and easy acceleration, get a little higher when the rps's get up, i'm liking it. we tried with and without the resonator, i went with it removed, just wasn't loud enough with it in. It lowers the idle rpm's and my cruising speed rpm's. Good to hear this doesn't void the lifetime powertrain warranty. A friend got me worried cause he thought it did.