DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4X4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:27
StoneyWV is on a distinguished road
Default Which Headlight Upgrade?

Not familiar with all the different headlights out there. What is the most reliable upgrade for headlights. DOn't mind paying the money to replace entire headlight assembly if that is best.

How do I get my lights brighter and realiable
2010 QC ST, 5.7L, 4.10 Gear Swap, 5100 Leveling Shocks at 1.7", K&N Drop-in, Pioneer U310BT, 12" Dayton/Net Audio Sub, JL Components, ARC Audio Amps, Magnaflow 14 inch, Granite Alloys sporting 34" BFG T/A KO, HID conversion full blackout.
Sponsored links
Old 02-21-2010, 10:38 PM

Vehicle: Chrysler 300
Trim Level: Touring
Color: Satin Jade Metallic
Rep:317
300 Addict is a jewel in the rough300 Addict is a jewel in the rough300 Addict is a jewel in the rough300 Addict is a jewel in the rough

Go with HID's for sure! Check out our vendors here! They have some great kits!

Advanced Automotive Concepts - AACstyle - Dodge Ram Accessories!

3B Specialties - Dodge Ram Accessories!

And you can use your existing housings too! There are projector housings out there if you prefer.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:52 PM
erm

Definitely HID's. You use your stock capsules and the light is a definite improvement over the stock halogen bulbs.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:04 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2008-2008 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:243
JaredConspiracy has a spectacular aura aboutJaredConspiracy has a spectacular aura aboutJaredConspiracy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyWV View Post
Not familiar with all the different headlights out there. What is the most reliable upgrade for headlights. DOn't mind paying the money to replace entire headlight assembly if that is best.

How do I get my lights brighter and realiable
HIDS...but i see your sig reads 2010 model....good luck gettin em to work! it was hell for me but i finally got it goin....

check out the brightness...

http://i49.tinypic.com/282kk5l.jpg
Old 02-22-2010, 06:59 AM

Jared,
I sent you a message to see what you did specifically. I would love to do the HID thing, but there is way to much conflicted opinions about all the problems and you just reinforced them. I do way to much travel in the mountains at night going to races to afford my lights to not work at 60mph going around a turn.
2010 QC ST, 5.7L, 4.10 Gear Swap, 5100 Leveling Shocks at 1.7", K&N Drop-in, Pioneer U310BT, 12" Dayton/Net Audio Sub, JL Components, ARC Audio Amps, Magnaflow 14 inch, Granite Alloys sporting 34" BFG T/A KO, HID conversion full blackout.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:08 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2008-2008 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:243
JaredConspiracy has a spectacular aura aboutJaredConspiracy has a spectacular aura aboutJaredConspiracy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyWV View Post
Jared,
I sent you a message to see what you did specifically. I would love to do the HID thing, but there is way to much conflicted opinions about all the problems and you just reinforced them. I do way to much travel in the mountains at night going to races to afford my lights to not work at 60mph going around a turn.
i did not recieve the PM....but what i did is i actually bought an HID kit from a company called blaze. and since i have the twin beam not the quad beam set up....the HID has a seperate halogen bulb intended to be used as a high beam. i basically rewired it to have the halogen as the low beam...and i have the HIDS hooked to a seperate relay that is triggered to draw power from the battery when i have the running lights on...and my hids are actually activated from a seperate switch on my dash. it was kinda complex and it took four hours to do...but theyre dependable and work every time the way i have it set up bc the HIDS signal doesnt get sent back through the PCM. with the way i have it set up i can actually leave the HID switch on my dash in the on position and when i turn the running lights on the HIDS come on...and when i turn the running lights off, the HIDS turn off. i can also turn the HID switch off and turn the knob all the way to the headlight setting to trigger the halogens. so it works pretty much like stock.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:05 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:64
Banzai will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Banzai Send a message via Yahoo to Banzai

DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT put HID's in without projectors..

2009 Ram Sport 1500 4x4
22" Black Rhino Traverses | AFE S2 | Magnaflow | Tinted Tails/3rd brake light | BT Catchcan | 6000k HID Fogs | Debadged | Tinted | RhinoLinings Bedliner
Old 02-22-2010, 12:07 PM

Wow, that was pretty complex setup. So you just have the relay trigger set off of the parking lights and the power straight from the battery. It all makes sense to me electrically which brings up these questions, so when you pull the high beam, you get nothing? I assume you have no high beam capability with running light and HID on setup. Can you turn them both on, which is equiv to high beam correct?? Don't want to lose my standard high beam capability. You basically have to use the rotary switch to go from high to low beam.
I really would love to replace the entire housing with an aftermarket set-up that has much better lighting. I am still looking, but am not smart on Light upgrades, so things are going slow.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:12 PM

Banzai, why not?
Old 02-22-2010, 12:40 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:64
Banzai will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Banzai Send a message via Yahoo to Banzai

HID lights are meant to be used within a projector.

without the projector you have no cut off line, no aiming of the light, which means the dispersment is EVERYWHERE no jus right in front of you. we already have an issue with our lights in peoples rearviews, if you do HIDs in the stock housing, people will try and run you off the road!

Wait until someone comes out with projector headlights for the new gen rams, which is what i am doing. if you want a different color or light or even brighter lights, please just get some silverstars..

HIDs should never be used without projectors!! haha

2009 Ram Sport 1500 4x4
22" Black Rhino Traverses | AFE S2 | Magnaflow | Tinted Tails/3rd brake light | BT Catchcan | 6000k HID Fogs | Debadged | Tinted | RhinoLinings Bedliner