DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 99 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST - Very Base Model
Color: Red with grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:48
Dieselkiss is on a distinguished road
Default After Market Power Locks

I'd posted another post on compatibility of wiring looms to upgrade my base model with power locks. (Thanks to Tom for the advice).

I've actually managed to find several after market 'universal' systems that come complete and are pretty cheap.

The one I've bought comes with 4 Solenoids, control box, wiring loom and two remote control fobs. Although mine is only a two door truck, I'm going to use one of the Solenoids to lock and unlock the toolbox in my bed.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience with using or installing these systems??

The system should be here this week, but I'm going into hospital for an op on Friday and will be out of action for a few weeks. However, once I'm up and running I will be installing the system and will put together a how to/photo diary of the experience and post it wherever something like that would go here.
Sponsored links
Old 02-24-2010, 11:46 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:22
Vikefan4eva is on a distinguished road

I've purchased a kit similar, but living in Iowa the weather hasn't been too friendly, and last thing I want to do with a high of 20 degrees is tear off 4 door panels. I plan on installing in the spring. If you beat me to it, posting a how-to would be awesome. Good luck with the op.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikefan4eva View Post
I've purchased a kit similar, but living in Iowa the weather hasn't been too friendly, and last thing I want to do with a high of 20 degrees is tear off 4 door panels. I plan on installing in the spring. If you beat me to it, posting a how-to would be awesome. Good luck with the op.
Thanks vike. What kit did you buy? I did look at ones that have a full range that are interchangeable, so you can install door locks, then install an alarm to plug in to them, boot release (Which I thought would be awesome for my toolbox) and a remote fob system. So you can start with the basic locks and add on.

For now though, I just wanted power locks so I bought a cheaper system and I'm not sure I can add to it later, but it's no biggie. Probably not too smart leaving it where I may have to install a system twice, but I really don't mind, it'll all be good fun.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:11 PM

Vehicle: 2007 & 2012 Dodge Rams
Trim Level: Sport & Power Wagon
Color: '07 - Brilliant Black, '12- Grey and Black Lower
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:970
ScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to behold

I dont know how to install myself, I just get my local shop to do it haha. Well thats a great addition lets you have the ease of access. Easier to open the passenger side door too
Interior- Custom Gauge Face, 3 Auto Meter Gauge A-Pillar, 2 Tone Seats, 12" Kicker L7, Focal K2 Components, Dodge Door Sills, Recon LED Map & Dome lights
Exterior- 20" Moto Metal 951, 40" BFG KM2s, N-Fab W2W Black Side Steps, Recon Black Headlights & Tails+3rd Brake Light & Light Bar, Hella 500s, T-Rex X-Metal Black 1pc Grille, Tints All Around, Painted Bushwacker Pocket Flares & Door Handles & Mirrors, LoRider Tonneau Cover, Hornblasters Train Horns, Iron Bull Bumper w/PIAA Fog & Driving Lights
Old 02-25-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPak07 View Post
I don't know how to install myself, I just get my local shop to do it - ha ha. Well that's a great addition lets you have the ease of access. Easier to open the passenger side door too
Yes it is. It's a big truck to lean across to unlock the door for my wife and when I get out I always forget to lock the passenger door if I've opened it.

I've been fixing cars since I was a kid and am too damned stingy to pay someone to do something I can do myself lol The system only cost me $40, so don't want to pay another $120 in labour lol

If I understand it right, it's a pretty simple install...you just have to work out how to fit the solenoids to the door locks (Which I guess varies depending on what you drive) and then feed the wires to the right places and feed a main power line to a permanent live.
I was considering using the Cargo Dome light switch in the door jamb because I assume that has a permanent live feed. Alternatively; Fuse 13 I think is the one for power locks and I think it should be empty on my truck because I don't have that option, so I'll circuit test the fuse space to see if it has a live feed and if it does I'll wire into there so that I have the circuit fuse protected which has to be the better way to go.

Anyways, I may be doing it today if the system arrives, and as I said, I'll do a photo-how-to and post it when I'm done.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:00 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:22
Vikefan4eva is on a distinguished road

I just have a cheap ebayer. lol I don't think i can add an alarm, but that's no biggy to me. Seems to be a pretty basic set up, just time consuming. It'd also help if i had a drill that didn't blow. Hopefully it warms up within the next month or so. I'm getting tired of playing the musical locks game. Good luck with the install. Be sure to let us know any problems you encounter, or any easy routes.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikefan4eva View Post
I just have a cheap ebayer. lol I don't think i can add an alarm, but that's no biggy to me. Seems to be a pretty basic set up, just time consuming. It'd also help if i had a drill that didn't blow. Hopefully it warms up within the next month or so. I'm getting tired of playing the musical locks game. Good luck with the install. Be sure to let us know any problems you encounter, or any easy routes.
Well, I just bought a really nice after market alarm system (commando alarm, which is just a name put on the box of generic alarm components). So I won't be using the module and such from the door lock system I bought, instead I'll just be using the power lock solenoids which can wire direct into the alarm system.
The system also includes a starter bypass relay (which acts like an immobilizer as long as you hide the relay up in the dash away from easy access). It has tilt and shock alarms, and wires into the car's light and dome light etc.
One of the main reason I bought the particular one I got was that it allows me to program two vehicles into one key fob, so my wife and I can both have a key fob with our two cars on them which will be handy.
I also bought a lock for the tailgate (which I'll use the spare solenoid on too) and I bought a trunk release (which can also wire into the alarm and be operated by the trunk release switch on the key fob as well as a button mounted in the dash) and this I'll be installing on my toolbox in the truck bed.
The system also has a remote start option, though I won't actually be wiring it in because I really have no use for remote starting the vehicle,unfortunately this was the only system with the two channel car key fob so the remote start was part for the package but not something I'll use.

I will also be buying the electric window conversion unit they sell, which once installed can ALSO wire into the alarm so the windows will shut automatically when the alarm is armed.

It wasn't an expensive system, but I decided I just wanted it as a deterrent more than anything because really it's the casual thief you want to stop, because a skilled determined thief can get past most any system no matter how much it cost and how fancy it is.

The install will be a challenge and need to be planned and executed properly, but if I take my time and do it carefully it should be within my skill level.
If you're interested, the alarm system only cost me around $80 - cheap I know, but as I said I think a $500 system would have been a waste and often times when you pay a pro, they install these cheap systems but charge you $300 to install it.
According to the website, this system is a rated system eligible for an insurance deduction, but am not sure if that only applies with a professional install.

Oh I also bought a locking gas cap. That won't be on any kind of remote, it was just a basic one - but my brother in law has had fuel stolen from his unprotected tank several times and as y'all know, they are big tanks and that's an expensive lot of fuel to have stolen.

I'll be doing a photo diary of the install (though of course I won't be sharing certain details like location of the control module and starter relay, but it will show the installs of all the solenoids for locks I'll install as well as the trunk release and I hope it can help you out in some way. If not, it will still be interesting to see the install.

Last edited by Dieselkiss; 02-27-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:09 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Ram
Color: Dark Garnet Red Pearl Coat
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
DaKid is on a distinguished road

Im looking forward to this install thread. Ive been considering at least power locks for my truck. I heard power windows are a little harder, but maybe this will put me over the edge. Maybe you can include some wiring diagrams too... lol

Again, looking forward to this
Old 02-27-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKid View Post
Im looking forward to this install thread. Ive been considering at least power locks for my truck. I heard power windows are a little harder, but maybe this will put me over the edge. Maybe you can include some wiring diagrams too... lol

Again, looking forward to this
Well here's the power window unit I'll be buying:

http://www.commandoalarms.com/itm00006.htm

This is also where I got the alarm system (that will also run to the windows) and though I didn't buy the power lock solenoids from here, the ones I have are identical to their two wire power lock solenoids.

Once you buy, they do actually provide you with PDF downloads of install instructions as well as a link to pages for wiring details specific to your model/year that tells you what wires to use for what and where in the truck you will find and can best locate those wires. It's pretty extensive and though the alarm system I'm installing has a lot of wiring, with their backup and diagrams, I'm very confident that I can install it safely and in reasonable time.
For the windows (and door lock) my plan is eventually to get a hold of the door panels and switches from a breakers yard for a ram that already had them installed and the wiring diagrams include details on switches and such.

I already have the install manual and the truck specific wiring details for the alarm that's on it's way, which includes the wiring for the power door locks.

I'll try and make the install diary as complete as possible and I hope it can help convince you to go ahead and give it a try!!
Old 02-27-2010, 03:51 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Ram
Color: Dark Garnet Red Pearl Coat
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
DaKid is on a distinguished road

Thats awesome. Well Im definitely gonna have to try to do this now, especially after you put together that install diary lol
My plan is also to get the OEM switches. Its probably gonna bother me if I dont get the non-manual window door panels too. I want to install fogs too, so Ill need to find all those switches. Ill keep you posted if I find anything