DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 99 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST - Very Base Model
Color: Red with grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:48
Dieselkiss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKid View Post
I hope your recovery is a swift and complete one. It is fun to just get in a drive, and I know Id be crazy if I just had to look at my truck every day lol. Just wondering Dieselkiss, what motor do you have in your truck?
Thanks, da, and yea it's driving me batty lol
Mine is the 318 (5.2 V8 Magnum). I would have liked the 5.9 V8 and the 4WD, but this truck was in such good condition, one owner from new and such a good price I couldn't pass it by.

As it goes, in a few months I should be getting hold of a '98 5.9 lump from my brother in law when he pops a new engine in his ram. My plan is to stick that up on my bench and completely overhaul it top to bottom - complete strip down and rebuild and either replace with new OEM parts or uprate at least some of the parts (trying not to spend a fortune).
Once that's done I'll either keep it as a spare or swap it out for my 5.2, not decided yet.
Sponsored links
Old 03-03-2010, 05:25 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:22
Vikefan4eva is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselkiss View Post
The original kit I bought was only about 30 bucks, but I did want an alarm system so now I've bought that too am just going to use the solenoids from the kit I bought rather than the whole system.

How did you find attaching the solenoids? Any pics? Would be cool to see how you did it.
Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures, but when I tear into the back doors I'll try and remember the camera. The solenoids were cake to install. I just found a somewhat level area. Held it up to see if it would fit. Tested to make sure the window didn't interfere. Drilled some holes. Screwed it in. I had to modify the back side of my door panel slightly. I just shaved off 1 of the hooks. I lucked out on the mounting spot because it was easy access to the locking rod and I could easily get a screw driver in the space.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:30 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Ram
Color: Dark Garnet Red Pearl Coat
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
DaKid is on a distinguished road

Were they pretty easy to wire up, sir?
Old 03-03-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikefan4eva View Post
Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures, but when I tear into the back doors I'll try and remember the camera. The solenoids were cake to install. I just found a somewhat level area. Held it up to see if it would fit. Tested to make sure the window didn't interfere. Drilled some holes. Screwed it in. I had to modify the back side of my door panel slightly. I just shaved off 1 of the hooks. I lucked out on the mounting spot because it was easy access to the locking rod and I could easily get a screw driver in the space.
Nice...am looking forward to doing mine and will also try to remember a camera.
I've added extra work to mine because I just got hold of OEM power lock/window switch modules for both sides so I have to work out exactly how to wire that all in with my alarm.
I think I have it worked out, my plan is to lay the alarm system and locks out on my bench first and test wire it altogether (using switches and bulbs in place of parts on the car) and then testing all the features before I rip into the car.

I never did like making things easy for myself lol But as I'm fitting electric windows at some point and replacing the plain plastic door panels with the nice material ones I wanted the proper OEM switch units in them.

I'll let y'all know how it went and if I burned my truck down lol
Old 03-03-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKid View Post
Were they pretty easy to wire up, sir?
Yes. The kit came with a wiring harness. The main solenoid had 5 wires. All the others have 2. As long as you can get the wiring into the door you should have no problem. This is what it looks like aside from the wiring harness and control module thing.

If you want I can go back and take pictures of one of the front doors as well sometime.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselkiss View Post
Nice...am looking forward to doing mine and will also try to remember a camera.
I've added extra work to mine because I just got hold of OEM power lock/window switch modules for both sides so I have to work out exactly how to wire that all in with my alarm.
I think I have it worked out, my plan is to lay the alarm system and locks out on my bench first and test wire it altogether (using switches and bulbs in place of parts on the car) and then testing all the features before I rip into the car.

I never did like making things easy for myself lol But as I'm fitting electric windows at some point and replacing the plain plastic door panels with the nice material ones I wanted the proper OEM switch units in them.

I'll let y'all know how it went and if I burned my truck down lol
I completely took a leap of faith hoping I didn't get any duds. I lucked out. It's always better to plan ahead. My planning consisted of waking up. Hmm...doesn't seem to cold out (30 degrees). And then I went to town. You seem pretty knowledgeable so I doubt you have any troubles figuring it out. I mean I got it right my first try. I like the crank windows. (Bad experience with automatic in my grand am) But good luck with everything.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Yes. The kit came with a wiring harness. The main solenoid had 5 wires. All the others have 2. As long as you can get the wiring into the door you should have no problem. This is what it looks like aside from the wiring harness and control module thing.

If you want I can go back and take pictures of one of the front doors as well sometime.
Yup, looks the same as the one I have. I just won't be using the door lock module, but I have wiring diagrams for the 5 wire solenoid as a master so it should all be good........I hope!!!
Old 03-03-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I completely took a leap of faith hoping I didn't get any duds. I lucked out. It's always better to plan ahead. My planning consisted of waking up. Hmm...doesn't seem to cold out (30 degrees). And then I went to town. You seem pretty knowledgeable so I doubt you have any troubles figuring it out. I mean I got it right my first try. I like the crank windows. (Bad experience with automatic in my grand am) But good luck with everything.
I like that plan, vike - My kind of plan!!! lol
As for electric windows...I've considered leaving the manual ones in, but I'm just spoiled - haven't had manual windows since....goodness...the 80s lol
The kit I'm buying is only $100 and if I get issues with it, it should be easy enough to repair, but won't be doing that for a while I don't think.

I'll be doing a vendor review on commando alarms once I have it installed. The customer service review won't be too favorable, but hopefully the product will turn out not to be a dud, as you put it.

Last edited by Dieselkiss; 03-03-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:13 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Ram
Color: Dark Garnet Red Pearl Coat
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
DaKid is on a distinguished road

Vikefan, it would be great if you could take some pictures if you get your door panel off some day. Dont go tearin around just for me lol What kit did you get btw?

Diesel, I hope you dont burn your new truck down. Good luck from me as well. Again, looking forward to your pics

Chris