DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-17-2010, 02:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough
Default Direct Wiring A Radar Detector

I want to direct-wire (sometimes called "hardwiring") my radar detector to the Integrated Power Module (fuse panel) under the hood of my 2010 Laramie using a device commonly called "add-a-circuit". ( This could also be a way to connect a GPS device.) I was wondering if anyone here knows a thing or two about this? Assume I know what I'm doing for the sake of this discussion,please. To do this, I will have to feed a wire through the firewall. Not exactly in a big hurry to poke a hole in my new baby's firewall! I hope you can understand!!! Anyway, I was looking around under the hood tonight. Kinda trying to figure this out. On the drivers side firewall there's a brake fluid reservoir attached to a round, black, metal tank-looking thing I'm not sure what is does. Obviously something to do with the brakes, but anyway. Back to my question; on the firewall, next to and to the left of the mystery brake tank thing is a 4" x 2" black plastic piece I might think could be called a "blank plug". It fills a punched out hole in the firewall. Maybe where clutch hydraulics go on manual tranny models? Anyone? Bueller? Does anyone know if I can fish a wire through a hole I make in this plug in the firewall? Does anyone have a better idea? Does anyone have a better way of direct wiring? I will be grateful for any help anyone could provide.

Thanks!

Hud
Sponsored links
Old 02-17-2010, 05:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

You need to be sure that your device uses a 12V power supply before attempting this. My Garmin GPS uses a 5V power supply and when I hard wired it in I had to gut the plug, remove the fuse holder and solder in new wires so I could tap into a 12V source.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:52 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

have you considered just adding a power outlet under the dash somewhere? that is what I did. I ran my wires so that they were out of the way, then added a power outlet under the dash that I could plug in to, I even set it up so that it'll go off when the key get's turned off (I tapped in to the acc circuit). I've done this on several vehicles (same detector for 2 trucks).

I've been considering doing this for my GPS too, as I hate having the wires hanging from the mirror when I'm using the GPS.

good luck

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 02-17-2010, 11:58 AM

Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

I think I have all the correct voltage, amperage, wiring, and fusing parts, pieces, etc.. I do not want to tap into a hotwire for any acc of an existing circuit. That would probably void my warranty. I know what I have to do, and how to do it. The thing I really want to know is where can I fish the power wire thru the firewall. There probably are not a lot of folks who have tried this to a new(er) Ram, but I bet there are some who know. Anyway, once I have finished this little project I will report back to you.

Hud
Old 02-17-2010, 12:13 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

If it were my truck, I would just tap into one of the accessory power outlets since you need a 12V source and it's really no different than plugging it in. It's pretty unlikely that would void your warranty unless the connection itself were to cause a problem and even then, they can't void your entire warranty for that.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:25 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Custom
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:1648
dodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudnhudn View Post
I want to direct-wire (sometimes called "hardwiring") my radar detector to the Integrated Power Module (fuse panel) under the hood of my 2010 Laramie using a device commonly called "add-a-circuit". ( This could also be a way to connect a GPS device.) I was wondering if anyone here knows a thing or two about this? Assume I know what I'm doing for the sake of this discussion,please. To do this, I will have to feed a wire through the firewall. Not exactly in a big hurry to poke a hole in my new baby's firewall! I hope you can understand!!! Anyway, I was looking around under the hood tonight. Kinda trying to figure this out. On the drivers side firewall there's a brake fluid reservoir attached to a round, black, metal tank-looking thing I'm not sure what is does. Obviously something to do with the brakes, but anyway. Back to my question; on the firewall, next to and to the left of the mystery brake tank thing is a 4" x 2" black plastic piece I might think could be called a "blank plug". It fills a punched out hole in the firewall. Maybe where clutch hydraulics go on manual tranny models? Anyone? Bueller? Does anyone know if I can fish a wire through a hole I make in this plug in the firewall? Does anyone have a better idea? Does anyone have a better way of direct wiring? I will be grateful for any help anyone could provide.

Thanks!

Hud
I am assuming you are referring to the plastic cover next to the booster (black can thingy). Thats where I run my power wire for my audio equipment. You should be able to access this rather easily, but from the inside of the cab, that location looks like a smaller circle (at least mine does). I agree with Randy on checking the power supply (just in case) and make sure you fuse that booger.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD.....lightly modded

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 #3560.....lightly modded
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon....lightly modded (yeah right, it's a Jeep!)
2010 Jeep GC SRT-8.....lightly modded
Old 02-17-2010, 06:37 PM

Default Direct Wiring A Radar Detector

Thanks! So, you're telling me that you had to access the hole through the firewall from the inside of the cab, right? That would mean I will be standing on my head and working under the dash! Oh well, I was going to have to anyway. Ought to be fun!
I was an aircraft electrician in the Navy a few decades ago. I have experience with these things. I have the hardwire kit that came with the detector. The add-a-circuit is rated for a maximum of 10 amps. I am going to tap into the circuit for the overhead console illumination that runs off the acc power source (not directly from the battery). It is rated at 5 amps, the detector will have it's own fuse, rated at 3 amps. The detector requires a 12V power supply. This will be really simple, I just wanted to be careful about making any holes in my truck that weren't done at the factory! Ya know?
Old 02-17-2010, 07:42 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Custom
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:1648
dodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant future

I kow what ya mean, good luck with everything. Take some pics and do an install writeup on it for others who may want to do that also if ya can...

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD.....lightly modded

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 #3560.....lightly modded
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon....lightly modded (yeah right, it's a Jeep!)
2010 Jeep GC SRT-8.....lightly modded
Old 02-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that i saw someone post that there was a BOOT around the steering column under the hood, if i remember correctly, they said that the boot has a nipple somewhere on it, they clipped that nipple, ran a wire through it & resealed the nipple with the wire passed through
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 06-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mango Tango
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
caper10 is on a distinguished road

On my previous vehicle I hardwired into a switched 12V source in the overhead console. I'm looking to do the same on my new RAM. Anyone have any instructions on the overhead console removal and a possible 12V switched source in there?