DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-10-2010, 12:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram QC 4X4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Medic1 is on a distinguished road
Default Magnaflow vs. Flowmaster

I am torn between the two, and a few options of each....either a 14" or 18" Magnaflow or a Original 40 or 50 Flowmaster.

I understand the pros and cons of each but can't seem to find alot of evidence that helps me out personally. I don't have the dual exhaust and most vids I find are of dual exhaust Rams. I have to imagine they sound somewhat different.

Heres what I know: Magnaflow 18" is quieter than the 14", Flowmaster 50 series was designed for engines like the hemi, but is quieter than the original 40.

I would like to hear specifically about interior drone with these exhausts. I used to have a 88 mustang 5.0 with Original 40 Flowmasters and I have always loved the flowmaster sound, but now I also have a newborn to go along with my truck so I want that to be a consideration as well!

I want the bark I have always loved, but I don't want to have a irritable baby after a road trip either!! Growing up sucks

Last edited by Medic1; 03-10-2010 at 12:23 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 03-10-2010, 08:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 ram 2wheel drive
Trim Level: slt/sport (bones)
Color: black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:659
bones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to behold

I choose the Magnaflow for warrantty but mainly for sound. Everyone has a different opinion on sound. Saying this....thats what i would base my final decision on.
Edd's : Hemi/ K&N C.A.I BONES Edition / Roll pan/Hood scoop/ Tinted heads,tails,3rd brake/ stereo upgrade/ T.M.D front bumper cover /Painted interior, 5" rear flip.2 inch front drop coils, Painted calipers,Eye brows
Old 03-10-2010, 08:17 AM
erm

I have a Magnaflow single in / dual out muffler on my HEMI. I like the Magnaflow sound vs. the Flowmaster. It just sounds a bit more refined and is less intrusive in the cab.

Drone can be a problem with any aftermarket muffler but it's easy to attenuate with a resonator at the end of each tailpipe.

I have a MegaCab so no MDS so no drone.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:39 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: None
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 239ci (3.9L) Magnum V6 175hp
Rep:114
canuckboy will become famous soon enoughcanuckboy will become famous soon enough

I agree with you guys. I go Magnaflow for warranty and the fact that they have great affordable stainless systems, but if you want an outright knarly loud sounding truck go with the Flowmaster.

Out of the two I think Flowmaster sounds louder and therefor better but thats just opinion. Magnaflow seems to have a nice smooth lower tone which is easier on the ears and sounds more "factory" if you will.

Listen to some good quality sound clips and see what systems you can for cheaper and go from there.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 03-10-2010, 08:50 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:67
hauser775 will become famous soon enough

The flowmaster 50 has almost the same sound as the 40 just quieter. And you can never go wrong with a flowmaster muffler
Old 03-10-2010, 10:05 AM

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

I chose Magnaflow because of the warranty and overall sound.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones64 View Post
I choose the Magnaflow for warrantty but mainly for sound. Everyone has a different opinion on sound. Saying this....thats what i would base my final decision on.
When speaking of the Magnaflow warranty are you talking about the actually warranty provided by Magnaflow or something to do with the actual Chrysler warranty?

Also, I have heard some conflicting reports that removing the resonator causes error codes with some people, and others have had no issue. Alot of the people who have had the codes were told they had to pay out of pocket to put the stock muffler or resonator back on to have the code diagnosed. If I understand how the resonator works correctly it means that If I leave the resonator on to keep interior noise down then in order to get the same tone I would have to go with a louder muffler. Am I wrong in my thinking here? Since the 50 is quieter, if I leave the resonator on to avoid a chance of getting error codes and keep the interior drone down then I would probably be better off with a original 40?

Either I just didn't care way back when or didn't know any better but when I put my exhaust on the Mustang back in the day I don't remember there being this many choices and considerations!

Last edited by Medic1; 03-10-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:01 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Crew Cab Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:75
Ryan will become famous soon enough

If your gonna have kids in your truck get the magnaflow 14" ive got two kids and its doesnt bother us at all, sleeping or trying to carry on a conversation... check this out... all i did was cut out my mufler and replace with a magnaflow!!!

Old 03-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I have been leaning towards the 50 series flowmasters now. They seem a little quieter than the classic aggressive flowmaster growl of say a original 40. Will I still get a nice sound if I put on a 50 HD but leave the resonator on? Or will I need to remove the resonator too? As I said above, I have read a few threads of people getting error codes after a new exhaust with resonator removal and wonder how common it is?
Old 03-12-2010, 08:40 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram CC 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:14
MiRamDriver is on a distinguished road

I like the borla...