DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Magnaflow vs. Flowmaster

16K views 31 replies 25 participants last post by  eltoro2 
#1 · (Edited)
I am torn between the two, and a few options of each....either a 14" or 18" Magnaflow or a Original 40 or 50 Flowmaster.

I understand the pros and cons of each but can't seem to find alot of evidence that helps me out personally. I don't have the dual exhaust and most vids I find are of dual exhaust Rams. I have to imagine they sound somewhat different.

Heres what I know: Magnaflow 18" is quieter than the 14", Flowmaster 50 series was designed for engines like the hemi, but is quieter than the original 40.

I would like to hear specifically about interior drone with these exhausts. I used to have a 88 mustang 5.0 with Original 40 Flowmasters and I have always loved the flowmaster sound, but now I also have a newborn to go along with my truck so I want that to be a consideration as well!

I want the bark I have always loved, but I don't want to have a irritable baby after a road trip either!! Growing up sucks :i_rolleyes:

#2 ·
I choose the Magnaflow for warrantty but mainly for sound. Everyone has a different opinion on sound. Saying this....thats what i would base my final decision on.:smileup:

#7 · (Edited)
When speaking of the Magnaflow warranty are you talking about the actually warranty provided by Magnaflow or something to do with the actual Chrysler warranty?

Also, I have heard some conflicting reports that removing the resonator causes error codes with some people, and others have had no issue. Alot of the people who have had the codes were told they had to pay out of pocket to put the stock muffler or resonator back on to have the code diagnosed. If I understand how the resonator works correctly it means that If I leave the resonator on to keep interior noise down then in order to get the same tone I would have to go with a louder muffler. Am I wrong in my thinking here? Since the 50 is quieter, if I leave the resonator on to avoid a chance of getting error codes and keep the interior drone down then I would probably be better off with a original 40?

Either I just didn't care way back when or didn't know any better but when I put my exhaust on the Mustang back in the day I don't remember there being this many choices and considerations!

G
#3 ·
I have a Magnaflow single in / dual out muffler on my HEMI. I like the Magnaflow sound vs. the Flowmaster. It just sounds a bit more refined and is less intrusive in the cab.

Drone can be a problem with any aftermarket muffler but it's easy to attenuate with a resonator at the end of each tailpipe.

I have a MegaCab so no MDS so no drone. :)

#4 ·
I agree with you guys. I go Magnaflow for warranty and the fact that they have great affordable stainless systems, but if you want an outright knarly loud sounding truck go with the Flowmaster.

Out of the two I think Flowmaster sounds louder and therefor better but thats just opinion. Magnaflow seems to have a nice smooth lower tone which is easier on the ears and sounds more "factory" if you will.

Listen to some good quality sound clips and see what systems you can for cheaper and go from there.

Good luck and keep us posted!

#9 ·
I have been leaning towards the 50 series flowmasters now. They seem a little quieter than the classic aggressive flowmaster growl of say a original 40. Will I still get a nice sound if I put on a 50 HD but leave the resonator on? Or will I need to remove the resonator too? As I said above, I have read a few threads of people getting error codes after a new exhaust with resonator removal and wonder how common it is?

#11 ·
I just watched a few great videos with the 18" magnaflow. Now I am undecided again!! Sounded great and the interior sound was perfect for me. Only problem is that once again it was a dual exhaust, and no mention of whether the resonators were on or off. I just need to find some clips of single out to make a good comparison!

#16 ·
i'm running a single in dual out magnaflow, which i really like. it will bark on acceleration and quiet down once rpm's drop again at cruising speed. noise inside the cab isn't a factor with the magnaflow, and has never bothered me... magnaflows are cheaper as well, which was definitely a factor for me (low budget 16 year old) haha

either way, you'll like the tone. i have friends who have flowmasters, and the magnaflow mufflers are very similar in tone, but less noisy

#19 ·
I think I am going with the 18" magnaflow. I am a little worried it won't be as loud as I am looking for if I leave the resonator on so I guess I will just have to get it removed later if need be. From everything I have watched I think the 14" might be a little too loud for what I am looking for right now, since I am going to be toting a newborn around soon.

#21 ·
I went with the 14" magnaflow and love it. You can hear it in the cab when you are gunning it, but it isn't much worse than stock any other time. I don't think any thing less than the 14 would be worth it, as they must be pretty close to stock. Good luck with what ever you go with.

#22 ·
I had flowmasters on my mustang 40 ser hated it so took of and went to 18 magna ;s much better sound also have 18s on 09 dodge st cab with the res still on . only thing is when it goes to fuel saver it sounds different .thats with 3 inch in 2/ 2 1/2 out inchs out . it all depends on how mellow you want your sound .

#24 ·
He he...I guess I'm the only one here with an AFE exhaust system (complete) but I'm very happy with it. Not to loud at idle...not too loud up to 2000 rpms...no drone what so ever but awesome when you nail it! And mine is single 3" in and dual 3" out...I was very surprised being a 3" system without resonators. Best of all...it has a nice 4"x11" set of tips and with beautiful welds...much cleaner that the factory 4"x5" tips on 2.5 pipes...I love it! I think that my exhaust sounds better when you want to hear than any other truck I hear in my area...nice Mopar tone like it's supposed to be! I get nothing but complements even from my elderly neighbors...they even like it, he he! I live in a ******* town here...mostly four wheelers with loud duals and they like making noise...seems like they want to be the loudest, lol! :smiley_thumbs_up:

#25 ·
I put the Flowmaster 50 HD and am happy with it.

#28 ·
My fave is the 40 series flowmaster to me its hard to beat that sound i to have 2 small children that ride in my truck often when just normal drivein say 60 mph at 2000rpms its not 2 bad and i have 4.10s thus the 2000 at 60 but when ya climb on it it is a hole nother story!

#29 ·
i have a si/do magnaflow 18" and i looked at it this way, its cheaper than the flowmaster, and like its been said for about $70 you can get a super 40 flowmaster si/do muffler if you feel you need to bump it up a notch. either way you got a choice, go alittle cheaper and then go alittle louder. :LOL:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.