DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > Other Vehicle Discussion

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck
Trim Level: Indy Pace Truck
Color: Blue w/ white stripes
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:210
strang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura about
Default My Omni GLH Project

Hey all,

I haven't really mentioned this little project much here, or even posted a picture...so, I figured I'd fill everyone in

Its ugly, I know...but, I got the car from a lady that lives near me. She bought it brand new in 1985 as her first new car (2nd car altogether), and drove it until 1994 when the a/c quit, and she had another car that she started driving instead, and, it sat, not so much as getting the door opened form 1994 til about this time last year when I picked it up from her.

She gave me the car since I told her I was going to fix it up (she had multiple people offer her money to scrap it, but she wouldn't)....but, she also gave me the original window sticker, build sheet, temp tag it came home with, owner's manual, and dealer brochure booklet for the 1985 Omni...lol Pretty cool stuff.

But, when I got it, it was in need of help and didn't run. but, a new water pump and electric fuel pump (yes, its carbureated and has an electric fuel pump...why I don't know), a hot battery and some fresh fuel, and she fired right up.
Took it out and ran the crap out of it the other day, and, i think I blew all the crap out of it, because, now, it'll sit there and purr like a kitten, start right up, and not bog out nearly as much. Also will spin the tire (FWD 1 wheeled wonder...lol) like nothing, and thats on the same plugs, wires, coil, oil, and uncleaned everything...lol

Coming to her is a new paint job (very soon), and a Eaton M62 supercharger (be different then turbo). Should be pretty fun when its done. Also, upgraded to 4 wheel discs (all from the junkyard).

Not one part on the car right now is new, minus the water pump and battery. The rest is all courtesy the local junkyard (which happened to have some new stuff too...but...lol)

But, enough of my rambling....here's some pics.

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited / 96 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck / 87 Dodge Charger GLHS / 85 Dodge Omni GLH
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2010, 07:03 PM

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

Nice pics! Looks like you got your hands full with this one!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:10 PM

Vehicle: 2003 ram 2wheel drive
Trim Level: slt/sport (bones)
Color: black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:659
bones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to behold

I forgot they even made that car.................Sweet. Great project man. Has she seen what you have done to it?Lookin good so far if you ask me.
Edd's : Hemi/ K&N C.A.I BONES Edition / Roll pan/Hood scoop/ Tinted heads,tails,3rd brake/ stereo upgrade/ T.M.D front bumper cover /Painted interior, 5" rear flip.2 inch front drop coils, Painted calipers,Eye brows
Old 03-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

looks like you have a real project on your hands
when you do the performance add ons, consider the pressure on the rings
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 03-11-2010, 08:17 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Got your work cut out for ya . Keep us updated on the progress .
Old 03-11-2010, 09:14 PM

strang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura about

haha...thanks guys. And, no, she hasn't seen it yet. I've told her about it though, I even told her she can drive it when its all done

But, it should be in primer next week, then, the supercharging commences Followed by a fresh coat of sante fe blue.
I have a whole interior waiting to go in it, but, I need to man up and buy a new carpet (carpets are impossible to find in good shape). Then, I can install the new seats and all and get that all back together.

But, I plan on having this car done by the end of my spring break here in at the end of March.
Its a project, but, the best part is, its a Florida car. The only cancerous (not surface) rust to speak of was on the floor, and, it was only pinholes, and taken care of now

Also, as far as the pressure on the rings and all...the engine appears brand spanking new inside and all. I'm going to be putting a turbo head on it with the hardened exhaust valves, and when I reinstall the head, I'll be using a head shim as well (Mopar Performance sells them) to lower the compression ration to prepare it for the supercharger.

But, its hard to kill the 2.2s. Theres guys yanking turbo ones out of peoples yards as well, and cleaning them up and running 20psi of boost through them...lol

I'm not that crazy, as the supercharger might make 6-7psi of boost, but, I'll still be taking precautions. Also, filled the cylinders with marble mystery oil and let it sit for a month with it in there...tell you what, it sounded different after it started, and like things were loosened up afterwards...so, that probably helped.

But, thanks for the compliments everyone!!! And, sorry for the novel

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited / 96 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck / 87 Dodge Charger GLHS / 85 Dodge Omni GLH
Old 03-11-2010, 09:26 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie 4x2
Color: Deep Water Blue Two Tone
Rep:432
MightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really nice

Great work on the car! That's very interesting stuff. I too would love to see the progress.

.[/I]

Old 03-11-2010, 09:26 PM

also, its not as bad as it looks...the paint makes it look hideous (besides the simple fact of the ugliness of the car ), but, once its painted and the interior is put back together (maybe a day to do that), it'll look like a nice car (for an omni...lol).

Engine wise, its sound now...running cool, running well, but, not fast enough for me...so, again with the junkyard parts.....the Eaton M62 supercharger is off of a GM 3800 V6, and is going to be pretty easy to be made to work.

But, the supercharger combined with the better flowing turbo head, hooker long tube header, and 3" exhaust, it should be around 175hp I'm hoping, which was the same as the GLHSs...but...thats being optimistic.

then again, it started with 110hp...ish...it feels like it has that much though, being it actually runs pretty good, and is suprising it has as much power as it does for what it is...
header = 10hp
head = 10hp
exhaust = 10hp so, about 140 now...
then the supercharger, which should add anywhere from 40-50% more power, so, 45% of 140 is about 63hp...so...203hp overall.

Now, thats all rough estimates, but, if that is anywhere near right (which, I think I'm being generous on some things and underestimating others)...but, that would be more than enough for a 2000lb car...lol.

I mean, the 175hp turbo/intercooled GLHSs on street tires were running 14.5 seconds....slicks knocked them down almost a whole second. Thats not bad for a FWD 4 banger

Okay...I'm done with my novel

Last edited by strang3majik; 03-11-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:27 PM

Vehicle: 2007 & 2012 Dodge Rams
Trim Level: Sport & Power Wagon
Color: '07 - Brilliant Black, '12- Grey and Black Lower
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:970
ScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to behold

Looks like a big project! Well good luck to you man, sounds like a cool one
Interior- Custom Gauge Face, 3 Auto Meter Gauge A-Pillar, 2 Tone Seats, 12" Kicker L7, Focal K2 Components, Dodge Door Sills, Recon LED Map & Dome lights
Exterior- 20" Moto Metal 951, 40" BFG KM2s, N-Fab W2W Black Side Steps, Recon Black Headlights & Tails+3rd Brake Light & Light Bar, Hella 500s, T-Rex X-Metal Black 1pc Grille, Tints All Around, Painted Bushwacker Pocket Flares & Door Handles & Mirrors, LoRider Tonneau Cover, Hornblasters Train Horns, Iron Bull Bumper w/PIAA Fog & Driving Lights
Old 03-11-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones64 View Post
I forgot they even made that car.................Sweet. Great project man. Has she seen what you have done to it?Lookin good so far if you ask me.
lol...you're not the only one. I drove it....err...I mean trailered it, yeah, thats right...lol Down the street about a mile to a friend of mine's body shop, and the guys next door were out looking at it...
"Holy crap...I remember those...my buddy used to have one...fun little car." lol

and, thanks again for the compliments guys....at least I have some support. Most say why...I just have to reply with, why not

EDIT: Also figured I'd mention, they only made 800 of them in blue...and only a fraction of them were carburated, the majority were turbo.