DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > Other Vehicle Discussion

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-11-2010, 10:43 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

That is a sweet little car. Something that small with 175HP will be a rocket. I really like the rims, and the fact that it's almost all junkyard parts.
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2010, 10:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck
Trim Level: Indy Pace Truck
Color: Blue w/ white stripes
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:210
strang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura about

Thanks...and, lol...even the wheels are jy parts They were on a T-bird in the yard, with good tires on them! $60 later, 4 wheels with tires, and 2 cans of duplicolor silver metallic, they were moutned on the car.

In the end, I should have about $600-700 in it...paint included. Not bad for a pocket rocket.
Also, I'm a V8 guy, but, its a Dodge, so, have to show it some love...lol

But...the junkyards are a good source for parts. Also broadens your creativity. I saw the supercharger sitting on the Regal it was in, and was like, you know what...that looks a lot like the Direct Connection supercharger they had in the 80s...I could make that work

And, the front brakes are off of a Dodge Caravan (60mm piston instead of a 52mm), and the rear discs are off of a LeBaron, all happened to have new rotors and pads. The truck master cylinder is also new just for safety reasons. But, its called the SLH (stops like hell) package. These cars stopped quickly stock, now, its braking power is just stupid.

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited / 96 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck / 87 Dodge Charger GLHS / 85 Dodge Omni GLH
Old 03-12-2010, 11:31 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Ram QC
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Electric Blue Pearlcoat
Engine: 2008-2008 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:35
rjs2005 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to rjs2005

Supercharging an Omni would be a blast, just remember that one of the biggest issues with the original GLH Turbo, and really amplified with the GLH-S, was torque steer. Motor Trend summed it up best: "Be absolutely sure of where your GLH is pointed when you pull the trigger."

One of the major car magazines (I believe C&D) built a supercharged Omni back in it's heyday and dubbed it the Omni FTH (Faster than Hell). They had a blast with it.

I'm jealous. I loved the Omni GLH when it came out, although were it my car, I would have kept the original wheels. I loved 'em back in the day, and still think they look righteous on a Daytona Turbo Z, GLH or Shelby Charger.

Can't wait to see updates!

EDIT: The article I mentioned was in the December 1985 issue of Motor Trend. Now I have to find a copy.

Last edited by rjs2005; 03-12-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:11 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SS/T
Color: Black/Silver stripes
Rep:134
TenneSST will become famous soon enoughTenneSST will become famous soon enough

What a piece of junk. Why would anybody fool with one of those front driver Mopars?
Old 03-15-2010, 07:07 PM

strang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs2005 View Post
Supercharging an Omni would be a blast, just remember that one of the biggest issues with the original GLH Turbo, and really amplified with the GLH-S, was torque steer. Motor Trend summed it up best: "Be absolutely sure of where your GLH is pointed when you pull the trigger."

One of the major car magazines (I believe C&D) built a supercharged Omni back in it's heyday and dubbed it the Omni FTH (Faster than Hell). They had a blast with it.

I'm jealous. I loved the Omni GLH when it came out, although were it my car, I would have kept the original wheels. I loved 'em back in the day, and still think they look righteous on a Daytona Turbo Z, GLH or Shelby Charger.

Can't wait to see updates!

EDIT: The article I mentioned was in the December 1985 issue of Motor Trend. Now I have to find a copy.
Haha...that sounds pretty cool...if you find it...care to scan and share
But...in driving it around, it doesn't show much torque steer, and, its running pretty good. But, then again, maybe I'm just used to my SS/Ts 5" of steering wheel play and am just used to sudden wheel movements...lol
But, my plans on what to call it are secret till its done...she'll have stickers and all.
Also...as far as the wheels...they seem to be a love hate thing. Everyone either likes them a lot, or tells me to put the stockers back on...haha.

But, for $60 from the junkyard and free tires, I like them. Also, the stockers need polished because they look like poo...also...the car needed something to make it look more complete. Now with these wheels on it...it looks a whole 10 steps ahead of where it was...lol Not to mention a lot more modern. Should handle better as well, with the shorter sidewall.

Also...TenneSST...one thing I have noticed about these silly people that mess with these FWD Mopars........they seem to drive SS/Ts...
All in good taste.

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited / 96 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck / 87 Dodge Charger GLHS / 85 Dodge Omni GLH
Old 03-16-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strang3majik View Post
Haha...that sounds pretty cool...if you find it...care to scan and share
As soon as I get my hands on the article, will do!

Quote:
But...in driving it around, it doesn't show much torque steer, and, its running pretty good. But, then again, maybe I'm just used to my SS/Ts 5" of steering wheel play and am just used to sudden wheel movements...lol
But, my plans on what to call it are secret till its done...she'll have stickers and all.
Wait 'til you boost it, then you'll discover the hidden torque steer monster in that Omni!

Quote:
Also...as far as the wheels...they seem to be a love hate thing. Everyone either likes them a lot, or tells me to put the stockers back on...haha.
But, for $60 from the junkyard and free tires, I like them. Also, the stockers need polished because they look like poo...also...the car needed something to make it look more complete. Now with these wheels on it...it looks a whole 10 steps ahead of where it was...lol Not to mention a lot more modern. Should handle better as well, with the shorter sidewall.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. or is that Beer holder? Nah, the wheels look great, I've just always loved those specific MOPAR wheels, in fact, I put a set on my wife's 1986 Dodge 600 Coupe and they looked great! That was a fun, fun car. Luxury (for the time), good ride, and ample power (again, for the time) with the Turbo 2.2.

Quote:
Also...TenneSST...one thing I have noticed about these silly people that mess with these FWD Mopars........they seem to drive SS/Ts...
All in good taste.
Just go run a few circles around him with that little sh#@box (As Ol' Shel liked to call 'em) after you get her done! That'll make a believer out of him!
Old 03-16-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs2005 View Post
As soon as I get my hands on the article, will do!

Wait 'til you boost it, then you'll discover the hidden torque steer monster in that Omni!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. or is that Beer holder? Nah, the wheels look great, I've just always loved those specific MOPAR wheels, in fact, I put a set on my wife's 1986 Dodge 600 Coupe and they looked great! That was a fun, fun car. Luxury (for the time), good ride, and ample power (again, for the time) with the Turbo 2.2.

Just go run a few circles around him with that little sh#@box (As Ol' Shel liked to call 'em) after you get her done! That'll make a believer out of him!
haha...sounds good. I looked in a bunch of old magazines but, not many say much about these cars...most just talk about the Charger and the Laser and all...the Omni was the red headed step child...lol Also, I do like the wheels, but, they need to be polished and all before they ever think of going back on the car....they're just ugly in person (been sitting 15 years, what would one expect...haha)

And...I'm sure I'll find the torque steer...I do recall seeing some article calling the gas pedal the "Lane Changer"...lol But...that'll just make it that much more exciting to drive...almost the excitement of one of the new Toyotas
And, those 600s are neat little cars. And...can't beat the luxury of a mid 80s Chrysler...a couch to sit in, and shiny things everywhere...haha

Also...TenneSST has a Charger GLHS and a Shelby Charger...he's just playing around

Old 03-16-2010, 06:52 PM

Y'all are fellow believers of the 80's Pentastar! Love it!
Old 03-16-2010, 11:37 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SS/T
Color: Black/Silver stripes
Rep:134
TenneSST will become famous soon enoughTenneSST will become famous soon enough

Quote:
haha...sounds good. I looked in a bunch of old magazines but, not many say much about these cars...most just talk about the Charger and the Laser and all...the Omni was the red headed step child...lol Also, I do like the wheels, but, they need to be polished and all before they ever think of going back on the car....they're just ugly in person (been sitting 15 years, what would one expect...haha)
Now, Omnis are probably the most popular of the turbo Dodges. The ugly is what makes them popular.

Quote:
Also...TenneSST has a Charger GLHS and a Shelby Charger...he's just playing around
I need to build my tranny and get mine back together. They are fun cars and I miss mine.

About the torque steer, I removed the equal length passenger side axle and put a shortened minivan axle in. I have zero torque steer which is contrary to popular belief. That's on the street with radials and with slicks at the track. I can hammer down on it and it will burn 'em both off in a straight line.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenneSST View Post
Now, Omnis are probably the most popular of the turbo Dodges. The ugly is what makes them popular.

I need to build my tranny and get mine back together. They are fun cars and I miss mine.

About the torque steer, I removed the equal length passenger side axle and put a shortened minivan axle in. I have zero torque steer which is contrary to popular belief. That's on the street with radials and with slicks at the track. I can hammer down on it and it will burn 'em both off in a straight line.
lol...yeah, now they're more popular...but, back in the day....lol

But...what are you talking about with the axles? And, is your car posi? Mine's a one wheeled wonder...lol Then again, I still have the 525 trans.