DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-07-2010, 05:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Detonator Yellow
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
CrazyCorpsman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellzy View Post
Brian - trying to figure out the difference btwn your '08 Laramie and my '07 SLT. I have the same set-up (5.7L, trans cooler, 3.92 gear) but Dodge customer assistance told me I have a 7400 lb Max trailer weight, with a GCWR of 13,000lbs. Where did you get the 9100/14000 numbers??
Bellzy - I got the info from a couple of sources, including the dealer when I picked her up, from the original window sticker and from a couple of sites on the net. Figured that I'd ask here since you're all a bunch of Ram owners. The trailer I ended up buying is 6400 lbs, so I shouldn't have any issues, except getting a new set of rubbers when I save my money. I hear that the stock Wranglers are not the best for towing.

Already have a brake controller in the truck and will be getting a weight distro hitch when I pick up my trailer in a couple of weeks. I'll certainly give a field report when I'm done with my travels. Got about a 4000 mile road trip planned to begin at the end of the month.

After being stuck in Guam for 10 months, I NEED TO DRIVE!!

Thanks everyone for the tips, tricks and advice.
Sponsored links
Old 05-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT - Lone Star
Color: Burgundy (Deep Molten Red)
Rep:15
walleyemike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
Add a trailer brake controller, an anti-sway and load leveling device to the trailer tongue and make sure you know what your truck weight is loaded (passengers, fuel, other items) + the trailer weight (loaded) to determine your Gross Combined Vehicle Weight. Then compare that with the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating on your truck. If you are under that rating, yer good.

One trick I learned is don't fill up your fresh water tank until you get to your destination and dump the black water/grey water tanks before you head back home.

So do this calculation: Truck Loaded + Trailer Loaded (less water) = GCVW.

Then, GCVWR (rating on the truck) - GCVW = your weight safety factor. If the GCVW is greater than the GCVWR, you need to lighten the load or find a lighter trailer.
Your setup sounds a lot like mine. I pull a Jayco JayFeather 23B weighing in at about 5600 lbs. Like MADDOG states, brake controller, leveling hitch (I use the E-qualizer) with sway control--my Ram really doesn't know its back there (except for the knock I take in the mpg!) He's on to something with the water, too -- keep your trailer weight toward the low end and load most of your added weight of supplies nearer the front of the trailer. I use about a 60/40 ratio when loading the trailer for a trip.

I think you'll be fine.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
5speedram is on a distinguished road

I've got an '03 Ram 1500 with the 4.7, 3.92 gears and a 5 speed. The recommended max tow weight is 5400. The recommended max GCWR is 10,500. If this truck had an automatic tranny the max tow weight would be 7350 with a GCWR of 12,500. Are these weights firm or is there any wiggle room? I'm surprised the manual tows so much less than the auto. I don't want to pull as much as the auto will handle but I may go over my limits by a small amount. Would there be a problem? What would bend/break first? The clutch? The gears in the tranny? Any info would be appreciated.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:36 PM

I have been towing for 30 years, what I have learned is the tow vehicle is important but the attitude of the driver is more important. Don't get in a hurry, don't go cheap on your brake controller,expect non towing drivers to cause you problems. Semi drivers, other tow drivers will understand others won't. I put a 100K towing with a Dodge 1500 5.9 4X4, the best truck I ever owned. I have towed up to the max tow limit by mfg. but would rather have about 1K less. most problems will come from trans thru mountains. Get tow pkg. expect more maint. I can't say enough how imporant tire press. is for truck and trailer. Check tires every fuel stop, touch wheels on trailer if one is hotter than others find out why (dry bearings). I have towed Travel trailers with the following, Chev Van 6.2 Diesel,ford ranger,chev 1/2 ton PU, jeep grand cherok, The Dodge did it best with the least problems.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:07 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2007-???? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:37
ram2487 is on a distinguished road

now here's a question for some mega cab 1500 owners...what tow rating do you trust more, the 1500 or the 2500 since it's built on the HD frame and has the same suspension and brake system as the 2500's?
Old 07-05-2010, 01:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

the Mega cab is a 2500, not a 1500, at least the newer ones
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 07-05-2010, 01:30 AM
erm

I go with the 1500 specs and fudge a bit if I need to but normally, I am under the GCVWR. I upgraded my trans cooler to a larger capacity one so I'm not worried over a heavier than normal load once in a while.

As 1104 said, heat kills transmissions and tire pressure is critical!
Old 07-05-2010, 05:34 AM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram Quad
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Rep:840
UltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to behold

My 07 Quad pulls my 08 DuneSeeker Toy Hauler. The Toy Hauler is 6325 dry but with about 1400 pounds in toys and a few incidentals and 30 gallons of premium fuel for the bikes I am close to 8000. The Ram pulls it without any problems in tow mode. I have an elec brake controller and complete anti sway controllers on the hitch. The 5.7 Hemi is strong as an OX.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:50 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2007-???? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:37
ram2487 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I go with the 1500 specs and fudge a bit if I need to but normally, I am under the GCVWR. I upgraded my trans cooler to a larger capacity one so I'm not worried over a heavier than normal load once in a while.

As 1104 said, heat kills transmissions and tire pressure is critical!
How much did the bigger cooler run you?
Old 07-07-2010, 08:16 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram QC 4X4 Hemi
Trim Level: 4X4 SLT Hemi
Color: Light greystone
Rep:54
Boubou will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Add a trailer brake controller, an anti-sway and load leveling device to the trailer tongue and make sure you know what your truck weight is loaded (passengers, fuel, other items) + the trailer weight (loaded) to determine your Gross Combined Vehicle Weight. Then compare that with the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating on your truck. If you are under that rating, yer good.

One trick I learned is don't fill up your fresh water tank until you get to your destination and dump the black water/grey water tanks before you head back home.

So do this calculation: Truck Loaded + Trailer Loaded (less water) = GCVW.

Then, GCVWR (rating on the truck) - GCVW = your weight safety factor. If the GCVW is greater than the GCVWR, you need to lighten the load or find a lighter trailer.
I don't get it
numbers say we can pull 8500# and my GCWR is 13000# and my truck is #6700
How is it that I have to substract 6700 from the 13000? that leaves me with 6300#. Where does Dodge get a tow rating of 10000 then?