DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
Trim Level: ?
Color: Yellow
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
riggzy is on a distinguished road
Default *thump* help pitman arm?

recently i replaced my shocks on my 99 dodge ram 1500 4x4 sport and now there is a a thump that feels like its on the driver side. you can feel this thump and hear it. it also seems to do this more at lower speeds than traveling at 55 or on highway. it appears to me that ball joint is ok and i have checked all of the suspension bushings. they all appear ok excpet for the bushing between the track bar and pitman arm. i figured i'd get a new bushing since it couldnt b that expensive. i was wrong i have to order a new pitman arm too and at 62 bux i want to make sure that is the problem. the only other thing i have to add is i can grab track bar and twist it and make it clunk and there is grease all over the outside of bushing. i do not see any cuts or slices in bushing after attempting to wipe "most" the grease away. Has anyone experienced this? My truck doesnt wobble at high speeds or does not appear out of the norm on alignment. Should i just go ahead and spend the 62 bux to see if that is the problem? Any info is aprecciated. Thanx
Sponsored links
Old 03-22-2010, 06:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I'm not sure what you're talking about. The track bar runs from the truck frame to the axle housing and the drag link runs from the pitman arm to the right side steering linkage.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default sorry meant drag link not track bar

you are coorect the issue is with the joint/bushing between drag link and pitman arm..not track bar.. not to good with front suspensions never had to repair anything til now.. sorry bout confusion
Old 03-22-2010, 02:14 PM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Being able to twist it is normal because its a ball and socket joint similar to your shoulder. What you don't want is lateral movement when you're turning the steering wheel or vertival movement when you pry up on it.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default thanx

thanx for the help randy.. tried moving bar like u said there was a lil movement. Borrowed buddys grease gun and put some pumps in and could see that there was about half inch tear and another pin sized hole in the bushing. I i'll order new part today and put it in tomorro(hopfully time allowing). Hope it solves my problem. Would it also be wise to have allignment done after this repair?>
Old 03-23-2010, 09:44 AM

If you haven't had one lately, it wouldn't be a bad idea but it's not required because the end you're replacing will only effect steer ahead and not the toe settings.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default 2nd guessing

had sum help today.. had my dad turnin steeering wheel to see where noise was coming from.. didnt seem to be coming from drag link/pitman arm joint..couldnt quite pinpoint where it came from tho... the noise seems to be more constant at slower speeds..tried pushing bumper up and down and didnt hear pop.. ima grease eveything tomorro c if noise goes away if not i'll be spending more time under truck...maybe retest to c if ball joints bad.. ne suggestions would be great thanx
Old 03-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 06 R/C sport, 05 Power Wagon
Trim Level: All of them!
Color: All black
Rep:38
OneShortOf is on a distinguished road

Not the answer your looking for but i believe i have a new Drop pitman arm from skyjaker from my 98 project. Let me know if your interested.