DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:94
Roadrunner Ram will become famous soon enough
Default Another CAI question

I've spent most of the day researching CIA's, on here and elsewhere.
Seem's there are a ton of them out there.
Can they really be that different ?
I really want better mileage, but better overall performance would sure be fun.
My question is this.. Is there really a significant gain in performance, I mean something noticable. Look's like most run $300 plus, am I going to really get that much bang for the buck..
Sorry for posting this subject again, just can't make up my mind.
Thanks in advance !

Last edited by Roadrunner Ram; 03-13-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2010, 09:00 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiezl Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie 4x2
Color: Blue Streak Pearl Coat
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:432
MightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really nice

Don't know if you did it already but you can try doing a search on the forum for "intake." If you want to save money you can find kits for $100 and up or even put one together yourself. It all depends if you care about the looks. A lot of people on here have made their own and liked it. I have the Mopar and love it.

There is definately a change in the engine sound to a deeper and louder tone. Is there an increase in power? That's a much debated question. I think there is but a lot say it's exagerated. I'd say don't expect any big miracles.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram Hemi QC
Trim Level: 1500 SLT 4x4
Color: Dark Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
coasty14 is on a distinguished road

I bought the Volant CAI which was 260 new... def worth it! increase in power, a nice sound, and a up in MPG's!! I was getting 320 to a tank... with the intake i was getting 350. So thats give or take about 6 bucks everytime i fill up.. so in time it will pay for itself and then some! Also it doesnt have a filter down low in the fender so no worries offroading or about big puddles sucking water!

hope that helps and good luck
Old 03-13-2010, 10:59 PM

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

I have the AEM Brute Force Intake in mine. I like it, there's a nice power increase.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:05 PM

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram
Trim Level: sport
Color: black
Rep:108
drivehard27 will become famous soon enoughdrivehard27 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to drivehard27

i got mine from ebay and i paid 80 dollars with a k and n filter on it i used to get about 20 on the free way and now i get 22 and i have seen alittle change in horse power but it does have a good low tone to it look around there every were
Old 03-13-2010, 11:10 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

The gains are noticable, especially when coupled with a highflow exhaust. More air in= more air out. Most CAIs will give you similar gains, you just have to look at how much of the filter you'd be able to seal away from the engine bay's high temps. For best performance, the BFI is the top, and volant makes a solid intake as well. I run an AirAid coupled to my ram air hood.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:51 AM
erm

One of the gains you will really feel with a CAI is better throttle response. It makes the vehicle feel much more responsive and a bit more powerful. The other benefit to a CAI is a cooler intake air charge, which makes the engine more efficient, hence a slight increase in MPG.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:15 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

^^^^^^^^^^^ yeah, what they said!

I think most would agree, what ever increase in fuel mileage you get with a CAI tends to be negated by the fact that you'll have your foot into the throttle more heavily because of the awesome sound that you'll get with it.

I have an '08 HEMI with the AEM Brute Force (3rd vehicle I've installed the AEM on) with a stock exhaust (can't make up my mind what I want yet). When I accelerate WOT it sounds a lot like a Flowmaster 40 series, and I really enjoy the dinner plate eyes I get from folks that I'm passing

What is comes down to is how much you're willing to spend, and what you reasonably expect to get out of a CAI

good luck

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 03-14-2010, 10:55 AM

Vehicle: 2003 ram 2wheel drive
Trim Level: slt/sport (bones)
Color: black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:659
bones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to behold

I have a K&N C.A.I filter with a homemade tube system. Looks good not a WOW appearence. Its under the hood and really dosent look that bad.I see a increase in power and fuel not a great amount but some. I have noticed a bit better on all that now that i have a cat back system on my truck. Total cost for my C.A.I $95.00 Canadian.
Edd's : Hemi/ K&N C.A.I BONES Edition / Roll pan/Hood scoop/ Tinted heads,tails,3rd brake/ stereo upgrade/ T.M.D front bumper cover /Painted interior, 5" rear flip.2 inch front drop coils, Painted calipers,Eye brows
Old 03-14-2010, 11:22 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:94
Roadrunner Ram will become famous soon enough

Hey all,
Thanks so much for the input.. Guess I'll go ahead and start searching for on, I am leaning on a Volant, AEM or K & N. The AEM is the front runner right now, but it all comes down to the best deal.
Thanks again so much, I know this subject is exhausted on here.