DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Knowledge Base

Notices

Dodge Ram Knowledge Base Here you can find owner submitted how-to's for performing various mods to your Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future
Post Oil Change Indicator System '09 And Newer

Oil Change Indicator System

The oil change indicator system reminds you that it is time to take the vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.
On the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) equipped vehicles “Oil Change Required” is displayed in the EVIC and a single chime sounds indicating that an oil change is necessary.
On non EVIC equipped vehicles “Change Oil” flashes in the instrument cluster odometer and a single chime sounds indicating that an oil change is necessary.
Based on engine operating conditions the oil change indicator message illuminates. This means that service is required for the vehicle. Have the vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 805 km (500 miles).

NOTE:

• The oil change indicator message will not monitor the time since the last oil change. Change the vehicle oil if it has been six months since the last oil change even if the oil change indicator message is not illuminated.
  • Change the engine oil more often if you drive the vehicle off-road for an extended period of time.
  • Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 km (6,000 miles) or six months, whichever comes first.

Oil Change Indicator- Reset

The vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change indicator system. The “Oil Change Required” message flashes in the EVIC display for approximately ten seconds after a single chime has sounded, to indicate the next scheduled oil change interval. The engine oil change indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the engine oil change interval may fluctuate depending upon your personal driving style.
Unless reset, this message continues to display each time you turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position. To turn off the message temporarily, press and release the Menu button. To reset the oil change indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance) perform the following procedure:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position. Do not start the engine.
  2. Fully press the accelerator pedal slowly three times within ten seconds.
  3. Turn the ignition switch to the “LOCK” position.
NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure.
Sponsored links
Old 08-10-2010, 04:50 PM

Vehicle: 2010 slt quad cab
Trim Level: slt
Color: mineral gray
Rep:18
erik108 is on a distinguished road

thank you for the info !!!!
Old 08-10-2010, 05:24 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Thanks for posting this.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 08-19-2010, 07:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
meanman33 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the info
when does the warning come on? Is it calculated by mileage or engine run time?
Old 08-19-2010, 08:13 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Both. It's duty cycle based.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:18 PM

Vehicle: sold* 10' R/T... 13' R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:142
autobred will become famous soon enoughautobred will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remerson228 View Post
Both. It's duty cycle based.
thanks for the info!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:21 PM

Vehicle: 2010 slt quad cab
Trim Level: slt
Color: mineral gray
Rep:18
erik108 is on a distinguished road

one of the best and most important THREADS on the site !!!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Quad Cab 4X4 Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:2453
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Nice post, WTG for putting this information in one place. Maybe this should be a sticky somewhere since I have seen this questioned in numerous postings !
BT CC / Hood Kit, LED Tails, Recon 3rd Brake & Xtreme LightBar, Black Aluminum Side Steps, Leer 700, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, MOPAR Valve Caps, Lighted RAM hitch cover, Front Tow Hooks and Bed Post Hide-a-Hooks, Tints (20% frt, 35% rear and slider), Painted Engine Cover/Brake Calipers, K&N Drop in,OEM Fender Flares/ bug deflector, FM 40, SC Cortex, Oracle H11 LED Heads, 4000k Putco Fogs, LED Interior Lights, Honeycomb Grill, Bilstien 5100's.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I just took a cross country trip, San Diego to Connecticut, the service engine light came on when it is suppose to, just before turning the normal 3,000 miles, i drove it for a week longer, maybe 400 miles & then got it serviced. I was surprised to see the oil change due & something like schedule an appt. with the dealer message come on after only 1800 miles, i continued my return home & had it serviced at 3600 miles last wenesday . i don't understand why it came on early, but, i keep track of my mileage & then there is the sticker on the windshield & the due date, I almost always drive 3,000 miles a month & most times way over that., so the due date on the sticker is never reached
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-03-2010, 01:00 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 2WD
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
rlandon is on a distinguished road

I always change the oil in my new vehicles between 500-700 miles. With a fresh engine, trying to clean out the engine of cam lube, engine break-in, etc. On my 07 Nitro R/T, I did this and the bottom of the oil pan looked like black metal flake paint. Never seen so much metal in the bottom of a pan. At 2500 on my Ram now and changed it at 600 miles, so I still have a ways to go, even though the EVIC message is now displaying. I didn't notice any metal in this oil change. Thanks for the reset info!