DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Crewcab 4x4
Color: Black w/pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:30
Zack Birge is on a distinguished road

Awesome post thanks alot! So basically if I decide to do a turbo or supercharger, It would be okay stock?
Sponsored links
Old 03-29-2010, 12:08 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

absolutely, just watch what boost pressure you run, the bottom end on the HEMI can only really handle 8-9psi max.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:18 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Crewcab 4x4
Color: Black w/pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:30
Zack Birge is on a distinguished road

Okay great! Looks like illl be gettin er tuned up!
Old 03-30-2010, 12:17 AM

Vehicle: 2003 ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: graphite
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:35
supercharged03hemi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to supercharged03hemi

If you supercharged it and you plan on racing it or taking it to the drags, you better upgrade your tranny. Thats what i had to do.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:26 AM

Vehicle: 07 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: st
Color: silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:68
moparmike07 will become famous soon enough

i think be faster if you do all na the prices tuning and install cost more i think be sick tho

2007 dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 5 percent tint all around 35 percent windshield, ported tb, diablo sport, arh headers, magnaflow dual exhaust, magnaflow y pipe, krc210x cam,nitrous,CNC ported head. 4.56 motive
Old 03-31-2010, 01:24 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:15
Fasthemiram11 is on a distinguished road

Go supercharger like me!!
Old 04-03-2010, 02:17 AM

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck
Trim Level: Indy Pace Truck
Color: Blue w/ white stripes
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:210
strang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura about

one thing no one has mentioned is engine stress.

Remember, if you supercharge an engine, it is under boost all the time. Thats why superchargers are generally much less PSI then a turbo. A supercharger is always engaged whether full throttle or partial throttle. Also hurts gas mileage as well.

A turbo on the other hand is only engaged when you put a load on the engine. I have a few turbo cars and I can run around town and never get out of vacuum. This is much easier on an engine, especially if daily driven. As, with a turbo, its basically only making boost when you stomp on it, or are towing/going up a steep hill. And it doesn't make full boost unless your at full throttle. Whereas, a supercharger, if you just left it in first gear and slowly ran the RPMs up to the redline, you'd be making boost the whole time.

But, then it comes to the other parts of the argument.
A turbo takes no power to run. It simply uses wasted energy to create power by adding more air (which, a big turbo whines louder than most superchargers by the way). However, injecting hot air can invite preignition/detonation, which is why you want to run an intercooler which cools air temps substantially which gives you more power, and allows you to turn the boost up some more. The problems with a turbo, however, are the fact of spool time. Yes, in todays world, spool time is minimal, but, lag time is still evident.
Whereas, on the other hand, a supercharger is instant power. You mash the pedal down, you get full power. However, it can take up to 20% of your HP just to turn the stinkin' thing. But, as said, instant power, instant torque. Basically, if you want to annihalate the tires whenever you wish, go with a supercharger.

But, for ease of installation, a supercharger is the way to go. Basically just bolt on and go. If you want the most possible power, a single turbocharger is the way to go. Twin Turbo really isn't how you make more power, its just a way to put a bandaid on spool time.

Drag racers use one giant turbo, and, they launch their cars in the powerband spooling the massive vacuum cleaners up almost instantly. They don't use two turbos because they're not looking for low RPM power.

As everyone said, its all in what you're looking for. And, remember what I said, a supercharger (which more times than not isn't intercooled) is always putting the engine (not built for it), under stress, whereas a turbo is only stressing the engine when you want it to.
But, both have their advantages and disadvantages. I'm with a lot of guys that superchargers are cool on V8s...but, they're good for the street, if you really want the most power possible, its not the way to go.
But, turbos require a lot more fabrication, computer stuff, lines, hoses, intercooler piping, and other stuff than a supercharger does, as well as special exhaust and all.

A supercharger is basically just bolting it on and routing the piping into the TB, or, if its a centrifgal style, then, its just an intake and everything is bolt on, not really any fabbing needed.

So...choose wisely. And don't blow it up.

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited / 96 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck / 87 Dodge Charger GLHS / 85 Dodge Omni GLH
Old 04-03-2010, 08:37 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

"Remember, if you supercharge an engine, it is under boost all the time."

That is not true at all. It's all in how much throttle you use. I can easily drive my Roush (which has an Eaton 2.3L roots s/c) around and never see anything but vacuum on the boost gauge.

Your comment about instant boost is also not entirely correct. Positive displacement superchargers will make instant boost but not centrifugals.

Don't get me wrong I am a bigger turbo fan than a supercharger fan but I have stuck with my s/c so far because of cost and how easy the installs are.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
turbo392 is on a distinguished road

People love twin turbos and think they give better performance. The only reasons for twins is 1. smaller package for tight engine bays and 2. there is a much better selection of small turbos (when combined) to match airflow requirements whereas a large single may be a little too large or small for the application. If a single has proper specs and there is enough space, it will outperform twins and costs half as much.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:23 AM

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck
Trim Level: Indy Pace Truck
Color: Blue w/ white stripes
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:210
strang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrieldy View Post
"Remember, if you supercharge an engine, it is under boost all the time."

That is not true at all. It's all in how much throttle you use. I can easily drive my Roush (which has an Eaton 2.3L roots s/c) around and never see anything but vacuum on the boost gauge.

Your comment about instant boost is also not entirely correct. Positive displacement superchargers will make instant boost but not centrifugals.

Don't get me wrong I am a bigger turbo fan than a supercharger fan but I have stuck with my s/c so far because of cost and how easy the installs are.
I don't mean all the time as in, literally, all the time. But, if you run your truck up to the redline by slowly accelerating and not shifting, I guarentee it'll make boost. A turbo will not since there is no load on the engine.

And...I usually think of the positive displacement style because thats whats usually thought of when thinking of a supercharger. A centrifigal is basically a belt driven turbo, but, they'll never spin as fast as a turbo.

But, thats what I'm saying, figure out what the goal is and make a choice. One is cheaper and easier but not as rewarding, and the other is more exspensive, harder to install, but has more potential.

Cheap. Fast. Reliable.

Pick Two.

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited / 96 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck / 87 Dodge Charger GLHS / 85 Dodge Omni GLH