DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-31-2010, 11:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT (QC/SB)
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:36
BLACK07 is on a distinguished road

Putting that stuff on any moving parts (doors, tailgates etc...) will make them heavy as crap, so just make sure it doesnt get sprayed on too thick or else if its on your door you are going to have to use a little extra umph to move it.

I had it on the tailgate of my old truck (well the entire bed haha) and the tailgate SLAMMED down every time I opened it because it was so hard to hold up.

2007 Black Dodge Ram SLT QC/SB

DIY is the way to go!
Sponsored links
Old 03-31-2010, 09:41 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK07 View Post
Putting that stuff on any moving parts (doors, tailgates etc...) will make them heavy as crap, so just make sure it doesnt get sprayed on too thick or else if its on your door you are going to have to use a little extra umph to move it.

I had it on the tailgate of my old truck (well the entire bed haha) and the tailgate SLAMMED down every time I opened it because it was so hard to hold up.
I thought so as well so I asked when I was getting my bed sprayed how much weight I was really adding to the truck. With the high temp systems (thinner application) you're only looking at about (15) lbs. I was surprised! (now the Rhino Liner is about 2-3 times as thick so it may be closer to (30) or (40) lbs) We then estimated that covering the whole truck (minus the windows!) wouldn't be more than 50-60 lbs maximum. I would be more worried about the gaps between moving body panels (like doors) fitting and working properly than I would be about the added weight. Other than the texture in your hand while you're closing it, I don't think you'll notice that the door has Line-X on it.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:38 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Cummins Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Electric Blue
Rep:27
cuda71 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
In talking with the guys here in my neck of the woods that spray both here's what I've gathered: Rhino (and all other low-temp sprays) tend to go on a bit thicker and will 'pool' or 'run' slightly on vertical surfaces. Line-X, Ultimate Xtreme and all other high temp sprays are thinner and cool/set faster so they end up thinner (the contours of the truck/bed/etc... show through better) and look more like heavy-duty paint. I'd recommend doing it. They're a great way to combat rock chips and road tar and are very easy to clean. They tried to convince me to do my rockers and fender flares when I got my bed done (maybe later - I like the Mineral Gray too much right now!). But I'd definitely go with a high temp version like Ultimate Xtreme or Line-X IMHO.

Good luck and be sure to post pics when you're finished (or even before then - If we had to wait until we were all finished we'd never have any pics on this site!!!!).
My Rhino lined inside of the box of my truck doesn't have any pooling or runs on the vertical surfaces, and just a personal preference I do find Rhino lining holds up better seen too many Line-X beds with the Line-X ripped up, now with that being said all spray in liners are only as good as the guys who spray em'. Perhaps the Line-X guy in town does a shotty job. I would recommend if you know someone who has got it done somewhere and you like the results and hows it holding up, find out where it was done and go there! Also seen an ad for Line-X or Rhino back when I was looking into getting mine done and the US Army sprays the inside or outside (don't remember exactly) of some of there personnel transporters and fuel tankers to help it stand up to the rigors of war
Old 04-07-2010, 02:13 PM

Rep:13
Grumpy is on a distinguished road

I thought I would mention a few points.

Rhino dealers may have both low pressure (Tuff Stuff) and high pressure (Tuff Grip and Hardline). The high pressure products are WAY superior. LINE-X is only high pressure. LINE-X's product has a 33% higher tear strength than Rhino Tuff Grip and Hardline and LINE-X has more than double the tear strength of Tuff Stuff.

You might want to also consider fading. LINE-X has an optional product called Xtra (that goes with the bedliner product) that won't fade, remains glossy, and is fortified with DuPont Kevlar. It's a one-time application with no maintenance. Rhino can give you Rhino Shine which comes in a bottle and must be reapplied occasionally.

A LINE-X blast resistant product has been applied to portions of the U.S. Pentagon and a LINE-X anti-spalling product is currently being applied to MRAP vehicles. (read about it here: http://www.paxcon.com/user_pages/px_...ubpage=PX-2100 )

Last edited by Grumpy; 04-07-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Off-Road SLT
Color: Graphite Metallic
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
jordanh125 is on a distinguished road

Alright, this may seem like a dead thread, but I finally have the cash to get this done. I'm dropping my truck off at the rhino linings shop in a week. I'll post any pics I take and also give feedback about the quality and durability. So far the customer service has been excellent and the guy is willing to do the application exactly as I have described it to him. I'm stoked to do some wheelin once I get her back!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 10:54 AM

Rep:13
Grumpy is on a distinguished road

As per above, ask them which product they are spraying in your truck.

You won't be able to test "durability" until you use it. Also, remember what it looks like now and then see what it looks like 6 months from now.

Good Luck!