DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - News Desk > Newbie Checkin!

Notices

Newbie Checkin! New to the forums? Introduce yourself here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-05-2010, 01:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Color: Green
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Rep:10
mjhoekst is on a distinguished road
Default New member w/ busted horse - 4wd locked up

Have a 2001 2500 4X4 HD diesel, and was driving the other night through 1/2 inch of hail - stuck it in 4wd and kept driving. A few miles later, the hail had disappeared, road was still wet, and at about 63 mph going down hill heard a whine, grind, and thump. Took it out of 4wd immediately, then tried putting back in, but wouldn't engage. Pulled over and although (at a stop only) I can get it "into" both 4H and 4L, the truck won't move in either. When I press the accelerator at all, get grinds or thumps but something is obviously locked up. Truck works fine in 2H.

Gut tells me I fragged something in the transfer case, but could use some advice before I tear into things.

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 04-05-2010, 01:28 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 4X4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport- Off Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1930
wermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant future

I don't have an answer for you but wanted to welcome you to the site. I am sure someone here knows the answer though.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here! I'll leave this one to the professionals on here. Sorry I'm not much help, but it's good you joined this forum, because there is a lot of other helpful folks on here.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:31 AM

Rep:2217
iRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome and sorry to have met under these conditions. While we all could take stabs in the dark there truly are only a handful of professionals on this site that can give you the right advice. Please stick around and one of them are likely to chime in. Meanwhile, fill out your UserCP with the details of your truck so that our members will be equipped with everything needed to lead you right.
Thanks and see you around the Z.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:36 AM

Vehicle: Blue
Rep:3934
BlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome!

Glad to have you here and I hope you enjoy the board!
Old 04-05-2010, 05:21 PM

Vehicle: Chrysler 300
Trim Level: Touring
Color: Satin Jade Metallic
Rep:317
300 Addict is a jewel in the rough300 Addict is a jewel in the rough300 Addict is a jewel in the rough300 Addict is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to RamForumZ, from Ontario, Canada! Glad to have you join our family here! Enjoy the site!
Old 04-05-2010, 07:16 PM

Vehicle: Jeep GC WK
Rep:964
hemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to behold

hello and welcome, any pics of your truck, your brave for driving it in hail i wouldnt do that i cant help you with your problem i would thing maybe you were going to fast in 4wd but i wouldnt know, i am sure that someone will be able to help you
Old 04-07-2010, 07:53 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Glad you joined us and welcome to the Z for Rams from Baltimore . If you could go to the top of the page to the User Cp and complete your profile that would be great . Helps us see what you have when your posting a question . Do you have any pictures of your truck ? Have you done any mods or have plans for mods in the future ? Any of your friends have Rams ? Tell them about us . We would love to have them . You will find this site is full of a lot of talented people . So if theres any question that you need answered , just shoot away . Talk to ya soon . Tom
Old 04-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Color: Green
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Rep:10
mjhoekst is on a distinguished road

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the welcome. Had a number of replies but no help yet. Perhaps I posted in the wrong forum?

I'll try to get to filling in some of the profile info soon, but right now my priority is the issue with the truck. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Martin
Old 04-07-2010, 11:28 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the Z! I'll try my random stab in the dark... which is what I may get if i'm wrong Best bet is to pull apart the transfer case to even begin diagnosing the problem. If it's free wheeling in 2HI then it's not a front diff problem. My best guess is a stripped gear or a seized bearing, but I'd have to see the TC's guts.