DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future
Default Question about adding Bilstein 5100s (front is sitting lower again)

Hi guys Well, here's the deal. Some of you may remember my thread about my truck sitting about an inch lower in the front a few months after the 2" level. As you may or may not know, I had it fixed, and I was one happy camper. Now, I'm back down an inch again!! I took it to the shop today and discussed possible causes. They seem convinced that the struts need to be replaced. One option they gave me was to get the Bilstein 5100s and raise the front up 2". By doing that I'll be up 1" higher in the front than in the back. So I would also get a 1" block for the rear. Theoretically, I would then be sitting perfectly level again. Then it would really be time for new tires A problem that crossed my mind is that if I get the Bilsteins and they raise front end up 2", I'm wondering if the existing 2" spacer will come into play. If I get the Bilstein 5100s installed and they add 2" to the front (3" total), then I'll get the 1" block for the rear. Because right now it looks like I have a 1" Daystar level, instead of a 2". But if I get the Bilsteins and somehow the truck sits as it was before (completely level), then I'll have to get a 2" block for the rear to compensate for the extra 2" in the front. Sorry for the long post, any input would be great, thanks guys!

Another option they gave me is to remove the existing 2" spacer, then install the Bilsteins. I liked this option, but they couldn't assure me the truck would sit level again. All I want is my stance back!!
Sponsored links
Old 04-06-2010, 10:33 PM

Vehicle: 2007 & 2012 Dodge Rams
Trim Level: Sport & Power Wagon
Color: '07 - Brilliant Black, '12- Grey and Black Lower
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:970
ScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to behold

I would remove the spacer and get the 5100s. That is what I did exactly haha. I had no problems with the spacer, I just wanted new shocks and I decided to get rid of the spacer
Interior- Custom Gauge Face, 3 Auto Meter Gauge A-Pillar, 2 Tone Seats, 12" Kicker L7, Focal K2 Components, Dodge Door Sills, Recon LED Map & Dome lights
Exterior- 20" Moto Metal 951, 40" BFG KM2s, N-Fab W2W Black Side Steps, Recon Black Headlights & Tails+3rd Brake Light & Light Bar, Hella 500s, T-Rex X-Metal Black 1pc Grille, Tints All Around, Painted Bushwacker Pocket Flares & Door Handles & Mirrors, LoRider Tonneau Cover, Hornblasters Train Horns, Iron Bull Bumper w/PIAA Fog & Driving Lights
Old 04-06-2010, 10:37 PM

City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

If they could assure me that if I got rid of my 2" spacers, got the Bilsteins, and my truck would be level, I'd be all over it. But they can't guarantee it. Something's wrong somewhere in the front end that caused it to drop an inch.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:40 PM

Vehicle: 2007 & 2012 Dodge Rams
Trim Level: Sport & Power Wagon
Color: '07 - Brilliant Black, '12- Grey and Black Lower
Rep:970
ScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to behold

Oh really? OK I see!!!

Actually now that you say it my truck was higher when I got it back from the shop when they did my front half shafts and driveshaft. Some reason I got it bak and it was about .5" higher than when it went in. I do not know what they did to it or why it raised up. I did not go in for it being lower, I just had some vibrations coming from the front
Interior- Custom Gauge Face, 3 Auto Meter Gauge A-Pillar, 2 Tone Seats, 12" Kicker L7, Focal K2 Components, Dodge Door Sills, Recon LED Map & Dome lights
Exterior- 20" Moto Metal 951, 40" BFG KM2s, N-Fab W2W Black Side Steps, Recon Black Headlights & Tails+3rd Brake Light & Light Bar, Hella 500s, T-Rex X-Metal Black 1pc Grille, Tints All Around, Painted Bushwacker Pocket Flares & Door Handles & Mirrors, LoRider Tonneau Cover, Hornblasters Train Horns, Iron Bull Bumper w/PIAA Fog & Driving Lights
Old 04-07-2010, 01:44 PM

Okay, I just set up an appointment with the dealer for this Friday morning. Thanks to my buddy Scat, I'm gonna have them look at the driveshaft and the half shafts. I'll keep you guys posted on what they say/find. Hopefully, this will do the trick, and I'll be back in business
Old 04-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Rep:16
HORNYHEMI is on a distinguished road

If you had a vibration and you took it in and your ride height changed they could have just done a simple alignment. If you have positive camber your vehicle may sit higher than with 0 or negative camber. Positive camber is when the top of your tire sits out from the vehicle farther than the bottom of the tire. if you think about it, it just makes sence that this would happen. Bad struts could cause it to lower some but an inch is a little excessive in my opinion unless you have a pontiac gran prix and your rear struts are bad, thats why all those cars sag like they have a load of firewood in the trunk. Im just doing a 1 inch raise with my 5100s cause i do some hauling and my atv is in the back alot and do not want to see my truck sqauting goin down the road from just having a few hundred pounds in the back.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:26 PM

Well I'm going to the dealer tomorrow morning to get the front end looked at. I'll see what what they say about the struts. My shop already ruled out the spacers as being the problem, so hopefully this isn't too costly.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:44 AM

I just got back from the dealer, and no good news. They wanted nothing to do with the truck at all. They wouldn't even give me a diagnosis. So basically I'm stuck with sitting 1" lower in the front. My shop priced out for me a variety of scenarios, and they all were pretty expensive and there was no guarantee I would sit up higher again. It's not like the ride is any rougher, it just sits lower. I guess I can tell people I have a 1" spacer in the front So instead of potentially wasting hundreds of dollars on blind guesses, I think I'll save up for some mods I really want. This isn't the outcome I had hoped for, but I'll live with it.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:07 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Quad Cab 1500 2WD
Trim Level: SLT Lone Star
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:268
txhemi is a jewel in the roughtxhemi is a jewel in the roughtxhemi is a jewel in the rough

Sorry to hear about this man. You should just get lift spindles like I did. There's no way a spindle will sag! I did the 3" spindles in the front. I have some 1.5" spacers that aren't installed yet. I'm trying to decide if I want to intall them or get the 2" Billsteins.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:18 PM

Thanks man. I've seen your truck, I like the way it sits

The Bilsteins seem to get a lot of positive feedback.