DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-09-2010, 01:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1997 Ram 1500 ext cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:20
rustyolred is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rustyolred

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyolred View Post
Will the factory "computer" work with the 408? What will have to be done to it to work?

Rusty
I think this would solve the fuel delivery issues!!!!!!!!
http://www.fbthrottlebodies.com/index.htm
Sorry that I didn't add the link last night.

Rusty

Last edited by rustyolred; 04-09-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 04-09-2010, 03:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

there are at least 2 360 engines, 1 is the truck engine, it likely a heavy duty block, i can't say for sure, but, it may be a 4 bolt main, thicker cylinder walls, different crank
you really need to do some research
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 04-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: 1500
Color: Red/Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
carnage is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help, and as for trans I will wait till after I build up the 408 and get ready to put it in then take out my old trans and swap it with the viper trans on this site for $2299 minus the trade in value of my trans. I never took a trans out so it will be fun tryin to fight this out lol. All it is is a beefed up 46re that can hold 500hp.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm

This is going to be an expensive build but I just got a second job and i should get things rollin pretty soon, I'm off on weekends too so im goin for it lol.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Ok this kinda limits my options, I found a already stroked block for $2500 but it was from 1971 but that will not work with my truck the reason is that there were small changes to the block over the years. that makes my searching a little harder. this website is pretty helpful.
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/318.html
Old 05-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Sweet I got this guy down in florida who builds these motors and I got him helpin me with this project. the sad part is that its goin to take a good minute before i get the funds up to complete the whole thing so I'll let yall know how it goes. I also got to replace the pcm with a stand alone computer.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
rkb15 is on a distinguished road

Carnage - 2 years ago I stroked out my 97 360ci to 408ci which I am very happy with. It's not cheap to do this and you will be looking at several thousand dollars. I used an engine builder in Texas who did all the work on mine and came it around $12k. As for your ECM/Computer, it will work with the stock computer and program but you will be dissapointed with the performance until you get it flashed with a new program. I bought an Xcal tunner from SCT and then had Dave Kasper from B&G performance write me a custom tune which made a big difference. You need to be careful about the CAM that you select because if you go to big you will throw engine codes and it won't pass vehicle inspection.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I know its been a while, but could somebody answer me this? Can I put a 3.79 stroke crank without having to bore the block? Also, what kind of pistons could use to avoid any boring? I'm just trying to save money, also my crankshaft has a bad vibrate to it and need to do something quick. And by the way does anybody know of a 3.79 crank that is made for the magnum 360's because the only ones I found was for the LA 360's.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

It seems time and money are slipping through my fingers, I just finished my rack n pinion mod and my truck wuz out of commission for a little over a week because nobody carried the hose I needed and had to be custom made. Anyways I have decided to go for a 402 magnum, I need a 4.000" crank stock bore pistons and a mild cam. just keep it simple and cheap, I aint takin to any shop either i'm gonna have a friend help me out(he went through school for engine rebuilds).
Old 07-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck
Trim Level: Indy Pace Truck
Color: Blue w/ white stripes
Rep:210
strang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura about

keep in mind, if you're stroking the engine out, you'll have to clearance the block for the rods, and, you have to have a machinist do that so that its perfect and there are no burrs or anything.

I personally would have a reputable shop do all the machine work. Putting the pistons in, putting the crank and bearings in...etc...you can do yourself.

Also, the engine 1993 and older were known as the LA motors. 1994 and newer are the A engines, or the magnum engines found in our trucks and in some Jeeps.

They're basically the same, but, the way the heads bolt on is different.

Also, call a cam company and tell them what you want. A cam can make or break an engine build. Sometimes a mild cam will net you better performance then a monster cam depending on the situation.

You're building a 408 stroker engine...a 360 already has a very long stroke, so, its not meant for high RPM, its meant for low end to mid range grunt. Keep that in mind when buying parts for it.

Also...forged internals aren't neccesary. Cast cranks and pistons are capable of withstanding up to around 700hp. You're no where near that, so, this is an area you can save some money.

Now, if you're planning on supercharging it or anything down the road...there are a few things to consider so that you don't have do redo anything.
You may want to keep the compression fairly lower (8.5:1 or 9:1), and, you may want to have forged internals and good headgaskets/head studs.
Also, with a supercharger, you want a cam with less valve overlap...keep that in mind.
However, if you are planning on staying naturally aspirated for years to come, don't worry about that previous paragraph

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited / 96 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck / 87 Dodge Charger GLHS / 85 Dodge Omni GLH
Old 07-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Yea i know about the variations in the LA and magnum blocks, I have decided to go with cast and will not go for forced induction. as for the block clearance that part I have not came to a conclusion, I heard from some people you don't need to do it and many others told me I do. I probably will have to it I gotta call around machine shops to get the best price. and again I will keep the stock size bore to minimize machine work cuz thats is wut will bite me in the a$$. I will get a mild cam, rhs heads, roller rockers, and all said and done it will be a 402cid.

Thanks for the help though I am sure I will need to get the block machined.

crank: $300
Bearings: $80
Rods: $400
Pistons: $200
Cam: $300
Rockers: $300
Heads: $600
Gaskets & rings etc.:$???
Having fun driven a 402 dodge ram: Priceless