DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram MPG Zone

Notices

Dodge Ram MPG Zone Discuss your MPG woes and helpful hints here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-12-2010, 09:35 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

The way I look at the fuel octanes is: if you're running a tuner or doing some heavy towing, then you want to run a higher octane, but for regular driving, low octane is the way to go to get the best mileage/$ you can since there's no ill effect to running 87. Now, unless you're flex fuel rated (like newer 4.7Ls) DO NOT run 85.
Sponsored links
Old 04-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:35
vettaboy is on a distinguished road

I have to agree on the carbon build up with higher octane fuel. I traded in an '06 Charger for my Ram, the Charger required 89 octane. After 3 years of daily driver use I had to have service on the engine to remove excess carbon build up. I guess I should have run the car a little harder than I did. I will only run 87 in my truck, it's what was in it when it came off the hauler.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettaboy View Post
I have to agree on the carbon build up with higher octane fuel. I traded in an '06 Charger for my Ram, the Charger required 89 octane. After 3 years of daily driver use I had to have service on the engine to remove excess carbon build up. I guess I should have run the car a little harder than I did. I will only run 87 in my truck, it's what was in it when it came off the hauler.
What indications were you getting of carbon build up and what was the service performed...that way we can monitor our own trucks.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:05 AM

Vehicle: 2008 ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
0007 is on a distinguished road

In Canada here I know a fuel delivery driver, pretty much all of the fuel in the south west comes from Esso refinery in alberta regardless of what station it's sold from
He tells me he put's the same fuel in the 87 and the 89 octane tanks
Basically they dont even make 87
Dont know what happens down south
Old 04-13-2010, 12:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
ccramsport is on a distinguished road

My uncle has been a corvette guy since the 60's and he always told me there was only one engine that his 1964 Stingray could not beat.

A Hemi.

He also told me high compression engines need high octane to perform. I know that's old school, cars are high-tech now, but I've always stuck with that advice and have never had any problems with my vehicles. I do like to drive them at higher RPMs so maybe that keeps them cleaner, don't know but I'm sticking with 89 and watching that tach climb when I get on the gas.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:32 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Crew Sport
Rep:14
Cormacs is on a distinguished road

Ussually what happens is two things. Either the valves get carboned up and stop spinning or the injectors can get clogged with a piece of carbon that has come off the intake wall. Either way it will result in a missfire. ussually starting off very minor then progress' worse. As long as it is caught fairly early the repair is inexpensive and very quick. Ussualy just a quick intake purge where we run a solvent specifically designed at disolving carbon through the injectors, replace the plugs and the engine is good to go again. The biggest issue is when people leave it to the point where the check engine light is on and it is a solid missfire. Then damage can occur, but it is rare. I run regular just to extend the life of all the components as much as possible and not have to worry about it. I see buying a super fuel as burning money. I have tried it and noticed no difference. Coming from a mechanics stand point I just don't want to put the extra maintenance in my truck especcially since I baby it and the truck would never get the advantage out of the higher octane except to carbon it up some more.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:37 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Crew Sport
Rep:14
Cormacs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccramsport View Post
My uncle has been a corvette guy since the 60's and he always told me there was only one engine that his 1964 Stingray could not beat.

A Hemi.

He also told me high compression engines need high octane to perform. I know that's old school, cars are high-tech now, but I've always stuck with that advice and have never had any problems with my vehicles. I do like to drive them at higher RPMs so maybe that keeps them cleaner, don't know but I'm sticking with 89 and watching that tach climb when I get on the gas.
Agreed, high compression motors require high octange fuel. Higher compression motors like the old hemi had no electronics and had no way of adjusting fuel and timing. They used the higher octane fuel since it is harder to burn that way it would stop spark knock which is a very deadly situation for a motor.

On the other hand the new hemi although is higher in the compression ratio it is not a high compression motor. It also has electronics to read fuel content in the exhaust and has knock sensors to retard timing if neccissary. There is absolutely no way you can damage the new hemi by running regular fuel. At the very most if you are a heavy foot or heavy tower you might, and I emphasize the might, loose some performance.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:44 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 2WD
Color: Mango Tango Pearl
Rep:103
Fury will become famous soon enoughFury will become famous soon enough

When I first got the truck I was running 89 since that is what the manual suggested. Since the DSP I'm running 93 in it.

Mod: DSP, 14" Magnaflow
Old 04-13-2010, 04:16 AM

Vehicle: 2010 2500 Mega Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Water Blue
Rep:30
Indeepcamo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the feedback, since I like to run my vehicles hard looks like 89 will be going in. Well at least until the Diablo goes on and I gotta put 91 in there.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:50 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Crew Cab Sport
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:75
Ryan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0007 View Post
In Canada here I know a fuel delivery driver, pretty much all of the fuel in the south west comes from Esso refinery in alberta regardless of what station it's sold from
He tells me he put's the same fuel in the 87 and the 89 octane tanks
Basically they dont even make 87
Dont know what happens down south

Sorry i gotta call bs on this, i work for Shell Canada we have whats called a blender area and depending on the fuel type from avgas to diesel the blender mixes DIFFRENT things into diffrent fuels 87 is rated no less than 87, 89 is rated no less than 89, and so on. If theres a screw up 87 could be rated 91, it doesnt take much for that to happen and they dont care if it rates higher but it the machine senses lower octane along with alot of other things it shuts down and red flags the fuel. All the fuel is sent from where i work to the loading racks via pipeline. we do have agreements with esso and petrocan so that if we go down, we can get fuel from them for shell service stations and contracts we need to fill. but all fuel companys have there own loading racks and diffrent chemical makeups for fuel too! your friend either really thinks that or dont realize that b/c he is loading from the same area doesnt mean its the same fuel....if esso has all the fuel why does shell and petrocan (for examples) keep building plants???