DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram MPG Zone

Notices

Dodge Ram MPG Zone Discuss your MPG woes and helpful hints here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-13-2010, 08:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500
Trim Level: sport
Color: deep water blue
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
deep blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Sorry i gotta call bs on this, i work for Shell Canada we have whats called a blender area and depending on the fuel type from avgas to diesel the blender mixes DIFFRENT things into diffrent fuels 87 is rated no less than 87, 89 is rated no less than 89, and so on. If theres a screw up 87 could be rated 91, it doesnt take much for that to happen and they dont care if it rates higher but it the machine senses lower octane along with alot of other things it shuts down and red flags the fuel. All the fuel is sent from where i work to the loading racks via pipeline. we do have agreements with esso and petrocan so that if we go down, we can get fuel from them for shell service stations and contracts we need to fill. but all fuel companys have there own loading racks and diffrent chemical makeups for fuel too! your friend either really thinks that or dont realize that b/c he is loading from the same area doesnt mean its the same fuel....if esso has all the fuel why does shell and petrocan (for examples) keep building plants???
I too work for an oil refinery in the northeast us & as far as I know their hasn't been an oil refinery built in the us in 40 or 50 years. And as a matter of fact refiners like valero and rumors of bp are closing their doors due to cap & trade type laws and decreases in demand. People think that oil refiners are filthy rich but look @ a company like apple. They will make more in the first half of the year from the sale of their i-pad alone than most refiniries made last year alone but you don't hear anyone whining about them making too much money. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.....proceed.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Crew Cab Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:75
Ryan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep blue View Post
I too work for an oil refinery in the northeast us & as far as I know their hasn't been an oil refinery built in the us in 40 or 50 years. And as a matter of fact refiners like valero and rumors of bp are closing their doors due to cap & trade type laws and decreases in demand. People think that oil refiners are filthy rich but look @ a company like apple. They will make more in the first half of the year from the sale of their i-pad alone than most refiniries made last year alone but you don't hear anyone whining about them making too much money. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.....proceed.
Shell is building right now in alberta so is northwest and total its booming up here, but i know what your saying pretty soon we will all be selling cars for a living lol.....my children wont get the chance to work around this industry everything is gonna be electric by the time there grown up!!!
Old 04-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500
Trim Level: sport
Color: deep water blue
Rep:10
deep blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Shell is building right now in alberta so is northwest and total its booming up here, but i know what your saying pretty soon we will all be selling cars for a living lol.....my children wont get the chance to work around this industry everything is gonna be electric by the time there grown up!!!
Hopefully my boys won't have to work in this industry at all. Long hours, dangerous work but it helps fuel my hemi. I just get mad when I hear people talk about how rich the big oil companies are when the have no idea what it costs to run and maintain an oil refinery. Hey ryan193715... You wouldn't work by chance on hydrotreaters would you?
Old 04-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:47
cmgagnon is on a distinguished road

Since we are talking about higher octane would be better for the engine, I have been filling my truck for the last month with 89 in octane and when I was cleaning my tailpipe last weekend, they were full of black dust inside (Carbon). Is that mean that i should switch to 87 instead?
Old 04-14-2010, 07:25 AM

Trim Level: Crew Sport
Color: Black
Rep:14
Cormacs is on a distinguished road

No, carbon isn't bad for the engine. You just get more of it with the higher octane. When you get more of it you need to service it more. Clean the injectors replace the spark plugs, stuff like that. No big deal if you willing to take that sacrafice.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormacs View Post
No, carbon isn't bad for the engine. You just get more of it with the higher octane. When you get more of it you need to service it more. Clean the injectors replace the spark plugs, stuff like that. No big deal if you willing to take that sacrafice.
What is the advantage to drive the vehicle with a higher Octane?
Old 04-14-2010, 04:25 PM

Trim Level: Crew Sport
Color: Black
Rep:14
Cormacs is on a distinguished road

higher octane will avoid spark knock which is very bad for engines. The engine computer itself will prevent the engine from spark knocking. So if you run a higher octane fuel the engine computer can push the motor a little more before it spark knocks.

Spark knock occurs when the cylinder gets hot spots in it and the hot spot ignites the fuel and the flame front from the spark plug and the hot spot collide and cause a ping or knock. This is very damageing because it builds excessive pressure in the cylinder and can scatter parts. The hot spots occur when there is extra pressure in the cylinders which happens under heavy load such as full throttle runs and heavy towing.

Thanks to modern computers the engine computer can now monitor for spark knocks and it will automaticly adjust timing to stop spark knocks. When the computer does this it affects performance. If you run a higher octane fuel, the fuel itself prevents spark knocks since it's harder to burn. If the engine doesn't spark knock under heavy load because you are running high test fuel the computer doesn't cut timing and you can get the full performance out of your engine. So in conclusion if you never run your truck under heavy load you would never notice a difference since the engine is never in a situation that would develope a spark knock. I agree if you like to play around and tow alot, situations that put your engine under heavy load, high test would be better for you. But if you use the truck as a daily driver you are just burning money by buying high test gasoline. Either way if you run high test gasoline or if you run low test gasoline you will never damage your engine because the computer is so sophisticated it will automaticly compinsate for the grade of fuel you are useing. The only time you will notice a difference is if you use low test fuel when placeing your vehicle under heavy load.

But like I said high test fuel will carbon up the engine quicker then low test fuels, meaning maintenance is more crucial then when useing low test fuels. Sorry for the long winded responce.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:42 PM

Cormacs, this is very informative and that is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you.

Last edited by cmgagnon; 04-14-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:56 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:35
vettaboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrieldy View Post
What indications were you getting of carbon build up and what was the service performed...that way we can monitor our own trucks.
First I noticed carbon build up at the exhaust outlet, then came the check engine light. When I took it in to the dealer for the light, they said the code was for a misfire in one of the plugs. After they checked the TSB, they found that the misfire was a sign that there may be carbon build up on the lifters.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:05 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Crew Cab Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:75
Ryan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep blue View Post
Hopefully my boys won't have to work in this industry at all. Long hours, dangerous work but it helps fuel my hemi. I just get mad when I hear people talk about how rich the big oil companies are when the have no idea what it costs to run and maintain an oil refinery. Hey ryan193715... You wouldn't work by chance on hydrotreaters would you?
No I am a general forman for new construction, also do safety because we have no safety on nights...but i work in a live plant in and around all units