DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Drag Racing Discussion > Kills and More Kills

Notices

Kills and More Kills Fictional stories about how you may have smoked another car or truck with your Ram on or off the track! - Keep safe out there!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
RAMpage is on a distinguished road
Default Taking on a Corvette with a Hemi Ram... any suggestions?

Short of just smacking him off the road when he passes me... or bolting on a .30 cal LMG...?

First lemme say this is sort of a joke race, 'cause we know that a 2,000+ lbs Corvette can effortlessly take a 7,000 lbs Ram QC Hemi. We just want to know by how much. The challenger is a C6 Corvette with a 6.0 V8.

The Ram is a totally stock 05 QC Hemi. It can achieve 0-60 in 7.1 seconds. Various friends I know have suggested shifting down to "L", launching, take it up to 6,000 rpms, shifting to "2", taking that all the way up, and then shifting into "D" for optimal 0-60. Does anyone know if this method works? (provided I do it right.) Furthermore... will it hurt the vehicle's transmisson?

Lastly, I've also heard that if you're going about 40-50 mph, you can get much better acceleration if you down shift from "D" to "2" and floor it... than if you simply floored it in "D". Is this true?

Heh, lastly, would it be wrong for me to challenge the Corvette to a tug-of-war contest? Normally I'd never subject my Ram to truck pulls, but somethin's telling me I'd haul the Vette like it would beat me 0-60.

In case anyone is curious, based on previous drag races, for the record, stock vs. stock, The Ram Hemi QC beats the:
05 F150 5.4 V8 Quad (8.2 seconds)
04 Silverado QC 6.0L V8 (7.8 seconds)
07 Toyota Tundra Quad 5.7 V8 (barely) (7.4 seconds)
03 Ford Taurus (10 seconds)
07 Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0L (not EVO) (8.0 seconds)
2000 Ford Explorer 4-door v8 (10.5 seconds)
05 Honda Civic 4 door 1.7 I4 (8.0 seconds)

Beware, the stock Ram Hemi QC loses against:
06 Nissan Titan 5.6L V8 (6.7 seconds) (they're not real full-size trucks at 5,000 lbs)
07 Cadillac Escalade 6.0L V8 400Hp (6.4 seconds) (DO NOT RACE)
07 Dodge HD Turbo Diesel 6.7L (6.? seconds) (eventually overtook him)
07 F150 Harley Davidson 5.4L Supercharged (6.5 seconds... it was Supercharged)
Soon-to-be 06 Corvette C6 6.0L V8 (?.? seconds)
Sponsored links
Old 04-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: SS/T
Color: black w/ silver stripes
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:883
98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold

the 0-60 on the vette is 4.3 seconds by the way lol. You'd win the tug of war easily. Launching like that may hurt the transmission a little if it's a 4x4. I'd imagine it wouldn't just once. I'd hold the brake down, get the revs up a little (1500-2000ish) and then let off the brake and it should pull pretty hard.

Alex, 1998 Ram 1500 SS/T. What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:29 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Having raced a Titan in my 2004 Hemi Quad Cab, I can tell you Nissan definitely fudges a lot of their numbers.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram CC 6.7
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:26
PAHemi is on a distinguished road

Downshifting will help the acceleration, but getting off the line is the most important part. You need to know just the right amount of power to give it before GO so you don't sit and spin.

I have used the downshift method before with no tranny issued. Don't preload too much or it can hurt your trq con. I also would recommend shifting before 6000rpm.

Or, forget the race and just post a vid of you pulling the vette all around the lot.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

@98sst,

Yeah, I can imagine it's that fast. We're just doing it for the hell of it. By the way, the Ram is a 4X2, I should've mentioned that. I think I will try that method once to see what happens.

Do you know anything about the other method, of downshifting from "D" to "2" for better acceleration while goin 45?

Thanks!

@Chithead. Yeah, I raced that Titan a year ago, and I was surprised that it beat me. The two lists are cars I've personally won against, and lost against with various friends and others at school. Their 0-60 numbers are based on what they've told me, and from my POV in the Ram those numbers seem to be right. By the way, the Lancer was the only one who eventually overtook me, at around 100+ mph.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:56 AM

98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold98sst is a splendid one to behold

Well when you put it in 2, your truck will only use 1st and 2nd gear. if your going 45, I would have it in "2" and just go from there. Im positive that is out of range for 1st gear at that speed. When you top out 2nd (My 2nd tops at about 75-80, not sure about yours) then put it into "D".

Basically, the launch method that I suggested gets the drivetrain prepared for the launch. By doing so, your engine can start closer to it's peak torque and horsepower. Try doing this with your ESP off, it might take practice seeing as you have a hemi.

What kind of tires do you have? Stock? Also be aware of the conditions. If it's wet, I can tell you from experience, the Corvette will be jerking like HELL due to its traction system. all 400 horses will just want to kick it out in 1st, 2nd and even 3rd gear.

So yeah, practice that launch and see how it works.

Alex, 1998 Ram 1500 SS/T. What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAHemi View Post
Downshifting will help the acceleration, but getting off the line is the most important part. You need to know just the right amount of power to give it before GO so you don't sit and spin.

I have used the downshift method before with no tranny issued. Don't preload too much or it can hurt your trq con. I also would recommend shifting before 6000rpm.

Or, forget the race and just post a vid of you pulling the vette all around the lot.
Lol, he'll never go for it. He loves that Vette to death, and hell, I would too.

But it's actually a really great retort to someone with a fast sports car or sedan who challenges a Ram to a drag race. Just like a Corvette is made primarily for speed, a full-size truck is made primarily for towing. It just so happens the Ram can do both.

Thanks for the advice. So I'll probably be all right downshifting so long as I keep it under 6,000. Awesome. And, yeah, as to the launch, I can't see going over 2,000 with the brake down.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98sst View Post
Well when you put it in 2, your truck will only use 1st and 2nd gear. if your going 45, I would have it in "2" and just go from there. Im positive that is out of range for 1st gear at that speed. When you top out 2nd (My 2nd tops at about 75-80, not sure about yours) then put it into "D".

Basically, the launch method that I suggested gets the drivetrain prepared for the launch. By doing so, your engine can start closer to it's peak torque and horsepower. Try doing this with your ESP off, it might take practice seeing as you have a hemi.

What kind of tires do you have? Stock? Also be aware of the conditions. If it's wet, I can tell you from experience, the Corvette will be jerking like HELL due to its traction system. all 400 horses will just want to kick it out in 1st, 2nd and even 3rd gear.

So yeah, practice that launch and see how it works.
Stock tires (unfortunately). But if it's any consolation, his tires are pretty worn down (he's got an affinity for burning out... a lot).

I know my first gear (when launching) goes all the way up to 5500-6000 rpms at 45 mph before shifting to second, but I don't know whay the speed is when it shifts from 2 to 3.

Sorry if this is redundant, but it really doesn't hurt the transmission all that much to shift through gears manually in an auto... without a clutch? Wow. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:15 PM

Vehicle: 03 dodge ram HEMI
Color: atlantic blue
Rep:89
droshemiram will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
Having raced a Titan in my 2004 Hemi Quad Cab, I can tell you Nissan definitely fudges a lot of their numbers.
What was the outcome of this race?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMpage View Post
Stock tires (unfortunately). But if it's any consolation, his tires are pretty worn down (he's got an affinity for burning out... a lot).

I know my first gear (when launching) goes all the way up to 5500-6000 rpms at 45 mph before shifting to second, but I don't know whay the speed is when it shifts from 2 to 3.

Sorry if this is redundant, but it really doesn't hurt the transmission all that much to shift through gears manually in an auto... without a clutch? Wow. Thanks for the advice.
Nope, it won't hurt it. You'll be fine. Go practice the launch and then put it in 2nd while going 45 and then hit it, you'll be amazed lol