DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Drag Racing Discussion > Kills and More Kills

Notices

Kills and More Kills Fictional stories about how you may have smoked another car or truck with your Ram on or off the track! - Keep safe out there!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
kevenj is on a distinguished road

Ok lets see here..... In addition to my Ram I also have a 2005 300C. Both are stock and the "C" is WAY faster than my Ram for obvious reasons (like 1400 lbs for starters.) Just so happens my brother has a 2001 Corvette Z06, which is 15 hp LESS than the C6 corvette you are going to race.... and my bro's Corvette will walk away from my 300C. Your race is pointless, the only think you MIGHT accomplish is breaking your truck. And what would that prove?
Sponsored links
Old 04-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by droshemiram View Post
What was the outcome of this race?
Ram won, but only by about half a truck length. It was a very close race that's for sure. I'd still take a Ram any day of the week. Only thing I like about the Titan is that storage box in the bed behind the rear wheels. Great use of wasted space in my opinion.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that i have noticed with my Ram, if I start in first gear & shift to second, there is seemingly a lot of lag time between the shifts. If i start in 2nd & shift manually into 3rd, there is very little lag between shifts.
I believe that i have also read that the '09 & possibly older transmissions of the same type, will shift from 2nd into higher gears by itself, even if you leave the the selector in the 2nd gear position, it won't let you over rev it. i'm not about to test it out though
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 04-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

RAMpage is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98sst View Post
Nope, it won't hurt it. You'll be fine. Go practice the launch and then put it in 2nd while going 45 and then hit it, you'll be amazed lol
Wow. Wow. I just tried both.

Launched in "L" from 2000+ rpms till 6,000ish and went up to "2" until I hit 60 mph. My friend in shotgun clocked it at 6.99 sec. God-d@&n.

While driving at 45 mph, I shifted from "D" to "2" and slammed the pedal down. That hemi roared and I took it up to 70ish mph before shifting into drive and slowing down. Wow. That was a lot better than just flooring it in drive.

I'll be racing the Vette in about an hour, when he gets off from work. Heh, I'm also gonna bring a towing strap, just to poke fun. I know I'll miserably lose against 4.0-4.5 seconds, but I'll still have fun launching.

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevenj View Post
Ok lets see here..... In addition to my Ram I also have a 2005 300C. Both are stock and the "C" is WAY faster than my Ram for obvious reasons (like 1400 lbs for starters.) Just so happens my brother has a 2001 Corvette Z06, which is 15 hp LESS than the C6 corvette you are going to race.... and my bro's Corvette will walk away from my 300C. Your race is pointless, the only think you MIGHT accomplish is breaking your truck. And what would that prove?
Well... Thaaaannnnkkkk yoooouuu for your so insightful diatribe. No really. Thank you! Having NEVER ever ever seen a corvette, why here I thought a corvette was just a golf cart with a gas engine instead of a electric motor. No no no no no, no lemme call my friend up and tell him the race is off because "kevin" thinks it's pointless.

A few months ago, my friend just spent a good deal of time and money getting a slightly used C6 Corvette. He's very happy about it, and is now finally getting around to really trying it out. I want to see what the corvette can do. Why not find out while racing with my own car?

We all know I'm about to lose. We all want to see what 4.0-4.5 0-60 looks like. Furthermore, my Ram, is not Your Ram. My fuel, is not your fuel. The rubber on my tires, is not yours either. Why should you feel it's worthy to share your feeling that this is pointless? We're just having some fun. Back. Off.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:12 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:25
beermanjoe is on a distinguished road

Sounds like fun to me! Go for it!!! Some video would be sweet.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well. I lost. Heh, what a shock. But it was fun, and that C6 was awesome. I launched in "2" at about 2,000 rpms, and reached 73 mph before I changed to "D".

The corvette is incredible, but I think I love my Ram more. The Vette says 'speed'. The Ram says 'raw power'.

By the way, he chickened out of a truck pull contest. At least the Ram Hemi was tough enough and good enough to accept a challenge from a Vette.

Thanks for all the advice. I actually learned a LOT about what that hemi was capable of when shifting.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:28 PM

Vehicle: 2007 & 2012 Dodge Rams
Trim Level: Sport & Power Wagon
Color: '07 - Brilliant Black, '12- Grey and Black Lower
Rep:970
ScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to beholdScatPak07 is a splendid one to behold

haha great thread man! I like how you put the other guy in his place! I agree with you totally your truck do what you want!

As long as your having fun thats all that matters to me!

Thats cool man, too bad he didnt go for the pulling contest you would have showed him!
Interior- Custom Gauge Face, 3 Auto Meter Gauge A-Pillar, 2 Tone Seats, 12" Kicker L7, Focal K2 Components, Dodge Door Sills, Recon LED Map & Dome lights
Exterior- 20" Moto Metal 951, 40" BFG KM2s, N-Fab W2W Black Side Steps, Recon Black Headlights & Tails+3rd Brake Light & Light Bar, Hella 500s, T-Rex X-Metal Black 1pc Grille, Tints All Around, Painted Bushwacker Pocket Flares & Door Handles & Mirrors, LoRider Tonneau Cover, Hornblasters Train Horns, Iron Bull Bumper w/PIAA Fog & Driving Lights
Old 04-13-2010, 09:46 PM

Vehicle: 2010 dodge ram quad cab
Trim Level: slt/bighorn
Color: silver
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:43
will is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMpage View Post
Short of just smacking him off the road when he passes me... or bolting on a .30 cal LMG...?

First lemme say this is sort of a joke race, 'cause we know that a 2,000+ lbs Corvette can effortlessly take a 7,000 lbs Ram QC Hemi. We just want to know by how much. The challenger is a C6 Corvette with a 6.0 V8.

The Ram is a totally stock 05 QC Hemi. It can achieve 0-60 in 7.1 seconds. Various friends I know have suggested shifting down to "L", launching, take it up to 6,000 rpms, shifting to "2", taking that all the way up, and then shifting into "D" for optimal 0-60. Does anyone know if this method works? (provided I do it right.) Furthermore... will it hurt the vehicle's transmisson?

Lastly, I've also heard that if you're going about 40-50 mph, you can get much better acceleration if you down shift from "D" to "2" and floor it... than if you simply floored it in "D". Is this true?

Heh, lastly, would it be wrong for me to challenge the Corvette to a tug-of-war contest? Normally I'd never subject my Ram to truck pulls, but somethin's telling me I'd haul the Vette like it would beat me 0-60.

In case anyone is curious, based on previous drag races, for the record, stock vs. stock, The Ram Hemi QC beats the:
05 F150 5.4 V8 Quad (8.2 seconds)
04 Silverado QC 6.0L V8 (7.8 seconds)
07 Toyota Tundra Quad 5.7 V8 (barely) (7.4 seconds)
03 Ford Taurus (10 seconds)
07 Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0L (not EVO) (8.0 seconds)
2000 Ford Explorer 4-door v8 (10.5 seconds)
05 Honda Civic 4 door 1.7 I4 (8.0 seconds)

Beware, the stock Ram Hemi QC loses against:
06 Nissan Titan 5.6L V8 (6.7 seconds) (they're not real full-size trucks at 5,000 lbs)
07 Cadillac Escalade 6.0L V8 400Hp (6.4 seconds) (DO NOT RACE)
07 Dodge HD Turbo Diesel 6.7L (6.? seconds) (eventually overtook him)
07 F150 Harley Davidson 5.4L Supercharged (6.5 seconds... it was Supercharged)
Soon-to-be 06 Corvette C6 6.0L V8 (?.? seconds)
well stock my truck will beat a titan, a v6 camaro, a 350z and older body stangs.... then again i have new hemi quad....

Suggestion, remove unecessary weight. I even bought a set of 17's to use when I race. (never used em yet)
Old 04-13-2010, 11:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPak07 View Post
haha great thread man! I like how you put the other guy in his place! I agree with you totally your truck do what you want!

As long as your having fun thats all that matters to me!

Thats cool man, too bad he didnt go for the pulling contest you would have showed him!
Yeah, absolutely. I don't know where you'd even hook the tow strap to the Corvette... Needless to say the result wouldn't be pretty.

That guy's post just irked me for some reason. Normally, I don't race different class vehicles like sport sedans, coupes, muscle cars... Unless I really believe they have crappy engines. But this race was an exception. We just wanted to see what would happen. If he can't accept that, then why should he waste his time commenting with... literally... A pointless comment?