DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > Cummins Diesel Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-24-2010, 07:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie-SLT-2wd SWB
Color: Silver
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Rep:10
kharakterc is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I just wanted to say that I love the color Patriot Blue. I am sure you love your truck like I love mine!!!
Sponsored links
Old 04-24-2010, 08:11 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3225
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Hope it really is nothing. The Pat Blue is a great color, I'm just a bigger fan of black, and yeah, we love our trucks as much as you do
Old 06-06-2010, 01:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 dodge ram 3500 diesel
Color: forest green
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
menglan64 is on a distinguished road

Hi,
A diagnostic code should indicate what area is causing the problem. A bad lift pump will cause you lose power, especially going up hill. It will also cause difficulty in starting vehicle.
I had a malfunction light come on with my 2001-5 speed MT-turbo diesel-3500 awhile back, but I also lost my accelerator at the same time. The truck continued to run great, but no footfeed. I shut the engine off for about 5 mins and then restarted. It worked normal afterwards.
I took it to a Dodge diesel tech and the computer memory said it was the throttle positioning sensor causing the problem. The tech troubleshot the sensor ( electrical wiring ) and could not detect a problem. He advised to continue operating the vehicle until there is a consistent issue and then maybe have the throttle positioning sensor replaced or atleast find out if it is an electrical problem. The sensor can cost up to $500.00. The engine malfuction light was reset and I have had no problems since. The tech did mention that if it was an electrical problem, it could also orginate in the computer.
I was only charged $86.00 . He didn't want to replace the throttle positioning sensor when in doubt of the problem.
My vehicle is operating great.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge RAM QC 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1999-2000 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual)
rx1mtnman is on a distinguished road

I would try to clear the codes if the mechanics did not already do so. You can do this several ways, with an aftermarket programmer (Superchips, etc), a shop with a scan tool can do it, you could buy a scan tool at most any automotive store and do it, or i believe that you can unhook both batteries, touch the positive and negative cables together and turn the key to the start position, this should clear all memory of the dtc. But having gone though this with my truck it will probably involve a new injector pump and lift pump (which is likely what took the injector pump out. I went with the FASS 150/150 lift pump and should never have any problems again.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2583
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

P0216 (Injection Timing Control Circuit Malfunction) Code
this is something that i read on another site, i have had no experience with diesels
some different reasons for this code are
could be the lift pump, the injection pump, or air getting in the fuel lines

a lot of diesel owners are adding a fuel pressure gauge
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 07-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1981-1988 360ci (5.9L) LA V8 170hp
cjames is on a distinguished road

im with rx1mtnman those have bad lift pumps from the factory it sounds like you need a new injection pump and lift pump but it could be a computer issue too i dont know as much about that stuff just fueling....... dont completely take my word for it.......
Old 07-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Water Pearl
Rep:71
latitud will become famous soon enough

I had an 02 and I had added all the gauges so I could monitor fuel pressure and my injection pump went bad at 49k, still under the 100k cummins warranty. It didn't cost me anything but had it been out of pocket, it would have been around $2k. If you are paying for it yourself, do a google search on hot rod vp injection pump. These are the OEM pumps that have been modified and will not fail. The P0216 code is saying that the electronics on the pump have failed. You will also need to replace the lift pump and I would recomend a relocation kit that will move the pump back to in front of the tank where it should be. These lift pumps are pusher pumps and are not made to be sucker pumps from where they are located from the factory. Once you move the lift pump and install a "better" injection pump, you will not likely have any other problems. Its a great truck and a great motor, so don't get discouraged.