DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Gray
Engine: 2008-2008 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:40
jvigier is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jvigier
Default Truck overheated, now light shaking rumbling...but no other signs of gasket???

I was driving home today, when I got off the highway, the check gauges light came on and I saw that the truck temperature was way past the red mark. I stopped as soon as I could.

The return hose had a giant gash in it. I replaced it, put coolant in. Truck started just fine, no smoking anywhere.

Drove away but noticed something was "off". The truck was shaking lightly.

Checked for leaks around the head, looked for a milky substance in the dipstick. Other than the rumbling/shaking I see no other signs of a blown head gasket. Going to do a compression test tomorrow to confirm.

Anything else the shaking could come from? That was my only logical answer...
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2010, 09:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: Jeep GC WK
Rep:964
hemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to behold

how long do you think it was on the red?
Old 04-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default how long on red?

30 seconds to a minute maybe?
Old 04-21-2010, 09:57 PM

Vehicle: Jeep GC WK
Rep:964
hemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to behold

well i am not good with cars i have an idea but i dont want to scare you because i am probably wrong
Old 04-22-2010, 08:30 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Start with the obvious and easy things first. Scan it for codes and see if a misfire is showing up or maybe an EGR code.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default misfires? egr

One instance of misfire showed on 4 but no egr.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:28 PM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Is it still misfiring? Try swapping the #4 coil with another cylinder. It's possible that the coil overheated and is causing the miss. Check the plugs while you're at it.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:35 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 Quad 4WD 5.9
Trim Level: Quad cab
Color: Garnet red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:202
deanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura about

Been there, done that! I would want to do the compression test, or a leak down test just to be sure after an overheat like that, even if I found something else. Just my 2 cents, based on a bad experience.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:43 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Could coolant have "gummed" up any sensors and cause them to be delayed or sending an incorrect signal?

Reason I ask is a similar problem happened to my brother's Dakota. His upper radiator hose blew, and the truck idled bad and misfired after replacing the hose. I told him his TPS looked pretty trashed, every mechanic he took it to told him the torque converter was going out. He changed the torque converter and of course that didn't fix it, so they told him the transmission must be going bad. I'm still convinced coolant "gummed" up his throttle body sensors and they can't move.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
Could coolant have "gummed" up any sensors and cause them to be delayed or sending an incorrect signal?

Reason I ask is a similar problem happened to my brother's Dakota. His upper radiator hose blew, and the truck idled bad and misfired after replacing the hose. I told him his TPS looked pretty trashed, every mechanic he took it to told him the torque converter was going out. He changed the torque converter and of course that didn't fix it, so they told him the transmission must be going bad. I'm still convinced coolant "gummed" up his throttle body sensors and they can't move.
This would make sense if he had multiple cylinder misfire codes. Since his is apparently isolated to one cylinder, I would go to work on it first.