DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2003 DODGE RAM QUAD CAB
Trim Level: SLT
Color: ALTANTIC BLUE
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
BIG BOY BLUE is on a distinguished road

I JUST INSTALLED MY INTAKE ON MY TRUCK TOO. EBAY BUY TOO. THE FILTER ENDED UP SITTING ALMOST BEHIND THE PASSENGER FOGLAMP. IT SOUNDS SO AWESOME TO HEAR IT GRABBING ALL THAT AIR. I ALREADY HAD A MAGNAFLOW MUFFLER ON MY TRUCK, I SWEAR THE TRUCK IS LOUDER NOW. I STOMPED IN 2nd GEAR DOING ABOUT 25 TODAY & CAUGHT WHEEL SPIN WHILE EMBARRASING A LIL SICON TC TUNER. HA!!! V8 POWER!!! I LOVE MY NEW FOUND POWER!!!
Sponsored links
Old 04-23-2010, 11:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram SLT 4x4
Color: Atlantic Pearl Blue Metallic
Rep:75
jayhkr will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jayhkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BOY BLUE View Post
I JUST INSTALLED MY INTAKE ON MY TRUCK TOO. EBAY BUY TOO. THE FILTER ENDED UP SITTING ALMOST BEHIND THE PASSENGER FOGLAMP. IT SOUNDS SO AWESOME TO HEAR IT GRABBING ALL THAT AIR. I ALREADY HAD A MAGNAFLOW MUFFLER ON MY TRUCK, I SWEAR THE TRUCK IS LOUDER NOW. I STOMPED IN 2nd GEAR DOING ABOUT 25 TODAY & CAUGHT WHEEL SPIN WHILE EMBARRASING A LIL SICON TC TUNER. HA!!! V8 POWER!!! I LOVE MY NEW FOUND POWER!!!
LMAO you gotta love American horse power! Way to go! I'm thinking of making my own air ram scoop when it comes in. Shouldn't be to terribly hard but we'll see in about a week. I'm really looking forward to it! Now that I have the input of air, I'm working on the export of it with some headers and muffler. We'll see how that goes later this year. A few projects stand in my way before that expense is taken on. Thank you to everyone for your support and comments! I'll let everyone know how the install goes and post up some pics!
Old 04-27-2010, 04:02 PM

According to UPS, my volant should be here tomorrow sometime. The weather is suppose to be gorgeous so there shouldn't be any issues with installing. Just as long as it is what it was advertised as. (Always weary about ebay sales). I'll have PLENTY of pictures for everyone and am going to go out and clean the engine bay up this afternoon. I hate anticipation! LOL
Old 04-27-2010, 04:22 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet! Looking forward to the installation!
Old 04-27-2010, 10:07 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Can't wait to see it in
Old 04-28-2010, 08:24 PM

Ok, the big day has arrived. My Ebay SPECIAL arrived with no issue and actually a day earlier than originally expected. I saved over $100 on this deal from ebay and it is great. Came with the PowerCore Filter, which is the dry filter and never will need oiled! Installation wasn't to horrible! Worst part of it was taking off the old air "system". I'll do my best to write this review, however I neglected to take a few pictures but I think everyone will get the main idea of it all. Really didn't take much, just be sure you have the proper tools to make everything easy.

On with the installtion:

What you need:

Screwdriver and socket/wrench set
Volant CAI
About 3' of 3/8" ID 5/8" OD air hose (more on this later, which will have to be purchased at you local hardware store. About $3.00 worth)
Original temperature sensor
Original rubber coupling from stock breather hose
Maybe a cold drink, if you're thirsty

Take one more look at your engine bay, it is now going to change forever for the better!

First take the box

and unpack it

Unsnap the stock filter box lid and remove the filter

Unscrew the 2 screws that hold the box to the inside of the engine bay and remove the filter box. Just lift up and wiggle a little and it'll come out. You'll be leaving the grey box holder.

Remove the tubing that goes to the "hat" on top of the throttle body then remove the hat. This was probably the most difficult part of the demolition as I had to climb into the engine bay to unscrew the clamps on the throttle body.

This is what you should be left with.

Now on to the INSTALLATION!

Take the rubber reducer and put it over the throttle body. Clamp down the clamp.

Next take the Filter box and put it in place of where the old filter box was. Go ahead and leave the top off as you'll need access to the inside later. Basically it just sits down around the "stems" that stick up from where the old filter box was. There is no tie down of the box itself.
<sorry no pic>

Take the original temperature sensor and put in in the rubber gromet that is located on the Air Duct. Make sure you put it all the way in, past the blue rubber gasket.

Take the Air Duct and put it through the large opening on the Filter box. It only goes in one way so the other end then gets coupled to the Rubber reducer by way of the clamp. Tighten down the clamp.

Next put the filter over the Air Duct and clamp it down as well.

This is where I ran into an issue. Normally you would hook up the breather hose to the Air Duct and be done, however they only send you a 6" piece of hose that has to reach from the left side of the truck to the right side of the Air Duct. You can see in the picture where the stock breather hose is (by the oil stick) and where it needs to connect on the far side of the picture on the Air Duct.

Simple solution is buying about a 3' long "air hose" from your big box hardware store. I trimmed mine down to about 2.5'. I also used the original rubber coupling from the stock breather hose and cut the larger end off. It's a coupling that is "L" shaped and goes from 3/8" to 3/4". I cut the 3/4" part off and slid the new air hose into the 3/8" side. The other side of the coupling goes into the stock breather hose. Loop the new hose to the nipple on the Air Duct.

Last edited by jayhkr; 04-28-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:24 PM

Attach the temperature sensor harness to the sensor.

Your end result will look like this (or similar)

The last thing you have to do (before driving) is figuring out what to do with this:

I made my decision very easily! LOL

These instructions should help some people who, when looking at the instructions sent, should help eliminate some confusion. This is the instruction page I had to follow.

Now that it's installed, starter up and let her rip! I've included a few videos of me on the highway and what it sounds like stomping on it. You can really hear it then, but I also notice it just going up a gentle hill so there is definately some power gain. I'm going to finish out my 1/2 tank of gas and see what kind of MPG gains I can get. For now though, Imma let her RIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!

Feel free to ask any questions you may have and I'll do my best to answer them as soon as I can! Thanks for reading my review! Now enjoy the video's! Oh, you may need to turn up the speakers a bit!

Last edited by jayhkr; 04-28-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:27 PM

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

Wow, nice job!! The pics are great, the videos are great, very informative write-up

(when I can again)
Old 04-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 4X2
Trim Level: TRX
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:27
TCwald is on a distinguished road

Nice job.......now I know what I want to do for my first mod.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:09 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Great write up Looks great on there, and you won't be disappointed with the gains you'll get.