DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-24-2010, 03:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
Iceburg is on a distinguished road
Default 95 Dodge Ram 1500 Fuel gauge not working?

My trucks fuel gauge isn't working. What do I need to do to fix this? would it be expensive to just have a mechanic fix it? I rather fix it myself if its something simple. Can you guys help me out please?
Sponsored links
Old 04-24-2010, 07:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Repair cost will depend on what the problem is. It could be the sending unit in the tank, the instrument cluster, the wiring...
Old 04-24-2010, 08:14 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 4X4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport- Off Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1930
wermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant future

Randy should be able to help you, but I wanted to welcome you to the site. Looks like he is needing some more info from you. What have you tried/tested?
Old 04-24-2010, 03:18 PM

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum. We're glad to have you here!
Old 04-24-2010, 06:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 Quad 4WD 5.9
Trim Level: Quad cab
Color: Garnet red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:202
deanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the forum!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1994-2001 239ci (3.9L) Magnum V6 175hp
pigman is on a distinguished road

Hello, how are you, I have problems with my fuel gauge on my Ram 1500 1994, some one have the schematic??

Best Regards,
Old 06-21-2011, 07:43 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Laramie 1500 CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:55
wylie will become famous soon enough
Default fuel guage

iceberg and pigman,,,,does your fuel gauge ever work,,,like go up and back down. I had one that worked when it wanted to. I pulled the dash and found a loose wire on the back of the printed circuit board at the fuel gauge. It is connected on a stud with a tinnerman nut. I tightened it up and trouble gone. After I put the dash back I summised that if I had known what to look for I could have done that looking up with a flashlight from the floorboard. You might try if you want. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Emerald Green
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
shak01 is on a distinguished road

If this is a gasser...9 times out of 10 it is the sending unit attached to the fuel pump (sold as a unit) in the tank. If your fuel gauge reads full when you fill it up and then goes down after a 50-100 miles and then starts floating up (when you hit the brakes) and down (when you stop) then it most likely is the float assembly. The pivot point bolt, contacts, and float arm assembly wear out prematurely as far as I am concerned! So...you have to buy a new complete pump assembly, drop the tank or lift the bed (your choice) and replace the fuel pump unit. Once you get it out...you'll see the problem...now on to the price! Dealer fix $500-750, DIY $150-200, crafty old man...one small spring, one small SS bolt and nut 10 cents

Footnote: If you go to the trouble of getting at the in-tank fuel pump/sender unit and the pump has been in there for 75K+ why would you go with the 10 cent solution? Answer: I'm retired and I have Time!. Don't forget to change the pump filter and locking nut O-ring gasket...anything else...hmmm...clean all the electrical connectors...I don't know...there's probably a dozen other things to do when you're that far in!
Schematic

Last edited by shak01; 07-29-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Red/Silver
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Joe1500 is on a distinguished road
Default Random fuel gauge failure.

Hello.
I think I have a similar problem like the one wylie had (it shows the fuel you have, then drop to zero, bleeps a couple of times and go back, randomly, but more often from mid tank down)
Maybe you can tell me more about that loose cable. I removed the panel down the steering wheel, but no idea where it is.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:02 PM
Is a sloppy perfectionist

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1694
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

I personally have done it (Sending unit) on a few Dodges. I find it far far easier to lift the bed than to contend with the straps, dropping the tank, lifting the tank etc...

If you're a newbie at it it also lessens the risk of breaking the plastic inlets and/or line connections. Six bolts and the license plate insert screws. Three nuts in the fuel door, unplug the tail lights, and one other person.

Each guy grabs it by the wheel well, lift it, and slide it back. Takes about a 1/2 hr.