DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-28-2010, 07:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: 1500 SLT
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:11
LSxFBODYgen3 is on a distinguished road
Default Just got a code P0205...please help

Ok guys my truck only has 30k on it so idk why it is acting stupid already. Its never been used to tow anything too heavy or race or anything crazy. Just a dd truck and occasionally has a load.

Ive had the code pop up once before and the truck started to run real rough and I barely made it up a hill. Then I went home scanned the truck cleared the code and put in some new gas and injector cleaner. It worked fine after that and haven't had a problem since(this all occurred about 2 months ago). Now today I put on a new mod(volant cai...love it btw). All of a sudden I get a check engine light and its the P0205 code again! I know its not because of the CAI. I double checked all the harnesses on the injectors to make sure somehow I didnt hit one loose or anything. I did go ahead and clear the code and then do the whole battery sequence. The code is now off but the truck still seems to shudder a little on take off and then when under a load it seems to not really have the power.

Only thing I can think of is I JUST filled up the tank today. Im wondering if I possibly got some bad gas or something. Or maybe picked up some sediment from the tank(I ran it pretty low this time....light came on and everything). Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do. This is my only vehicle and I really cant afford to leave it at the dealer to have them "fix" the problem. Unfortunately I havent gotten around to buying an extended warranty yet.

Hopefully someone can chime in on this one.
Sponsored links
Old 04-28-2010, 07:19 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

A P0205 indicates a problem with the #5 injector circuit. Check the connector itself for looseness, a wire backing out, or corossion. If it's none of the above, it could be an injector or PCM issue.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:26 PM

I knew you would chime in. Thanx Randy for the info. My scanner told me what the code was I just wasnt sure what to do with it haha. Do you have a picture or diagram at all. I know im a noob at these dodge motors...but i dont know which ones are the injectors. Also what is the cylinder layout on my 4.7 so i know what one is #5. I want to assume its just a connection due to it only happening twice since ive owned the vehicle.

If it is an injector or pcm should I just take it to the dealer? How much do you think they should charge me. Im one of those people that hate dealerships and feel like im getting screwed anytime I have to go there. So any input to help the process helps lol.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:41 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

The cylinder layout is the same on all Dodge V-8's with the drivers side being numbered 1-3-5-7 and the passenger side 2-4-6-8. The injectors are right beside the coil packs and there are only two wires in the connector. Replacing the injectors is easy if you do have a bad one. It's a matter of relieving fuel pressure, unplugging the injectors, removing the 4 bolts in the rail and lifting them all out as an assembly. Then you pop out the old one, in with the new, clean and lube all the o-rings with some silicone spray and reinstall everything.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:58 PM

Ok thank you for the info. Either way I got another code. P0300 which is a random misfire witch obviously is related to the p0205 code. Well yesterday I checked the wires and cleared the codes with my scanner and then did the "battery clear"...put some injector cleaner in and now I cant get the codes to come back on. There is ALOT less hesitation when i accelerate but it still seems like its missing some umph and also still bucks a lil bit when first starting going. Then it goes away.

I scheduled to take it to my mechanic on monday. Dont want to wait but its the soonest I could get it in.

Im about 90% sure that its a bad injector. So im just going to have my mechanic fix the problem and not bother with it myself.