DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Knowledge Base

Notices

Dodge Ram Knowledge Base Here you can find owner submitted how-to's for performing various mods to your Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 CC 4X4
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:44
Ironsides is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido View Post
Hi everyone!
Great information here so far. This is my first post, so hello everyone!

I have a 2009 Ram 1500 (build 12/08) with the 7 and 4 pin trailer connector and class 4 hitch and I believe the trailer tow package. I am now looking to add the trailer brake controller. I have looked under the dash and attached the pictures of my plugs. Now, I have read this entire thread, but am still unsure if I have the correct plugs or not. I'm a cabinet guy, so not much experience with electrical, so please bare with me. I live in Ontario and the stealer wants $600 incl tax to install the trailer brake!

I have not seen my layout on any of the pictures yet, that's why I decided to post now.

So, my question is, could anyone please confirm if I have the right plugs or not?

Thank you everyone in advance!
I'm not sure what the grey plug is. You can add the brake controller to a 2009 1500 though, do a search, the info is around.
Sponsored links
Old 02-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport - Crew Cab
Color: Flame Red
Rep:30
webhair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkmug View Post
you cant add the factory unit with those plugs..sorry. The plugs were changed in 10 up trucks
That is what I was thinking also. Looks different.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:04 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

So if I understand this correctly, if I buy the bezel and brake controller and plug it in then it will function properly without a dealer pcm flash, correct? The pcm flash is only if you want it to appear in the EVIC, right? And the only thing that gets you is the status, you don't really need it in the EVIC, right?

Sorry I just want to be sure before ordering if I decide to get this. Thanks and great write up!

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:38 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 CC 4X4
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Rep:44
Ironsides is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
So if I understand this correctly, if I buy the bezel and brake controller and plug it in then it will function properly without a dealer pcm flash, correct? The pcm flash is only if you want it to appear in the EVIC, right? And the only thing that gets you is the status, you don't really need it in the EVIC, right?

Sorry I just want to be sure before ordering if I decide to get this. Thanks and great write up!
Yes, you are correct. The EVIC display may allow you to change the braking force, I'm not sure, but whether it can or can't, you can adjust the braking force with the buttons on the front of the controller itself.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:40 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Thanks Ironsides!

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:10
moterhead is on a distinguished road

I ordered a brake controller kit from my dealer,and was having them install it. Got a call from them saying that my wiring harness didn't have the proper plugs. They showed my a factory tech page explaining that not all trucks could except the factory controller. They told me to hook up an aftermarket controller. Anyone ever hear about this?
Old 03-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:18
kristopgun is on a distinguished road
Default Just installed in my 2010

Ram 1500 sport. Ordered through mopar-wholesale.com and followed the excellent "how to" guide posted by the OP, all went in fine no probs, luckily i had both connectors so no re-wiring. Havent tried it with my trailer yet though and will be having the reflash to show on my EVIC shortly. Looks great, totally stock and cost me $120 inc shipping for the controller and the bezel. So far so good
Old 03-13-2012, 02:38 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido View Post
Hi everyone!
Great information here so far. This is my first post, so hello everyone!

I have a 2009 Ram 1500 (build 12/08) with the 7 and 4 pin trailer connector and class 4 hitch and I believe the trailer tow package. I am now looking to add the trailer brake controller. I have looked under the dash and attached the pictures of my plugs. Now, I have read this entire thread, but am still unsure if I have the correct plugs or not. I'm a cabinet guy, so not much experience with electrical, so please bare with me. I live in Ontario and the stealer wants $600 incl tax to install the trailer brake!

I have not seen my layout on any of the pictures yet, that's why I decided to post now.

So, my question is, could anyone please confirm if I have the right plugs or not?

Thank you everyone in advance!
Not sure if you've seen the mega-thread on the factory controller but maybe it will help. I don't know why that excellent thread is in the Dodge Ram Knowledge Base section instead of "Towing" or a more specific section but who knows. Look on this page just down a bit for the post by "Netman66".

http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41

Your pic of your gray plug looks like the standard, factory supplied 4-pin connector for any basic aftermarket trailer brake controller. However, compared to my '12 model, yours looks like a female plug, while the one in my '12 is a male plug. The wiring harness adapter plug that came with my Tekonsha controller is female and plugs directly into the factory plug with no splicing. I don't know...we may be talking apples-and-oranges here on both our wiring and controller issues.

Edit: LOL!...I just noticed this is Netman66's thread we're talking in. There are about 4 factory brake controller threads currently running at this moment, so it's hard to keep up with which one I'm in. Sorry. It would be nice if all of these trailer brake controller threads could be integrated somehow.

Last edited by TNC; 03-13-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: add comments
Old 04-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: Slt
Akslawns is on a distinguished road

Could i get a little help? I ordered and tried to install the brake controller by doing the splice. The white with light blue, white with light green and the pink with green with T connectors and the mechanic at the dealership gave me a plug that would hook up to the connector that my truck didnt have. When everything is plugged in my break controller shows CF and the trailer and explanation point blink. I also get the ESC warning light to come on. If i unplug the small connector the ESC light goes off and the controller goes off!
Thanks for any help!
Old 04-07-2012, 03:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
bbarrus is on a distinguished road

Thanks to these great posts I successfully wired up my '09 1500 tonight. I got the brake controller, dark grey bezel, and blue 4-pin harness from my dealer. $140 including tax using my buddies account.
I had to use small and large spades for the A and B connectors on the controller. I pulled back insulation and soldered to the CAN bus and 12V connections.
Plugged it into my trailer, everything looks great. I'll take the trailer for a test ride tomorrow.
Thanks everyone for tips and pics.
Anyone know if '09 can be flashed for EVIC brake functionality?
Brad