DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!
Total Load Control!
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
FGT Motorsport
Bayou Goat Mounts
Mopar Online Parts!

Old 11-24-2015, 10:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Rep:10
HemiMan17 is on a distinguished road
Default Body lift

Hey guys,
I have several questions regarding putting a body lift on my 2012 Ram 1500 and was hoping you could help. I already have a 2" or so leveling kit with coil spring blocks in the front and rear. I am looking to go just a little higher like1"-1.5". I see there is a 1.5" body lift available.
Will this affect my bumper gap with my body putting in a 1.5" body lift? I have seen trucks in the past that need to put some sort of rubber to make up the space.
Will my exhaust muffler gap be extremely noticeable on the back bumper? I have the duals running under the rear bumper.
Sorry if this has already been discussed but I have not been able to find anything on the 1.5" body lift and pics would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 11-24-2015, 09:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Austin Tan Pearl
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Littledog is on a distinguished road

I read that you can't really see the body gaps unless you go with the 3" body lift. And the exhaust tips are adjustable back there. If you look there's a little clamp where you can pivot the tips slightly
Old 11-26-2015, 02:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:71
rengnath will become famous soon enough

The 1.5" is actually perfect for the 1500, IMO. It is A LOT of work to go through for a mere 1.5" but a 3" body lift will require more work and you will also see the frame from the sides, gaps in the wheels wells, and a low riding hitch. With 1.5" the hitch doesn't look ridiculous and the exhaust tips are adjustable like mentioned above. You cannot get the tips back to the factory location without going on a steep angle, however. I have AFE 5" black tips on order right now which should look pretty good with the body lift.

Regardless of which body lift you go with, you will need to remove the front and rear bumpers to relocate them. Both will require drilling the frame. The rear bumper requires some grinding to remove some studs. Air tools are a must, IMO.

The 3" body lift requires removing the air box, adding a steering shaft extension, and extending the fuel fill line. You will likely want to have the rear exhaust relocated as well. You will also want gap guards for the wheel wells. IMO, you can also tell that the truck has a body lift with the 3".

Installation wise, after you pull off the front end, adding the spacers is a breeze. Loosen the body bolts, jack the body up, insert the blocks, and move on to the next side. I have the Zone Offroad kit, and full installation instructions with pictures are available on their website. They take you step by step through the process. The majority of your time will be spent relocating the bumpers.

Here are some pics. At the time of the pics, here is what was installed:
Rancho QuickLift Struts (2")
Mevotech UCAs
SSC-50 HD Rear Coil Springs
Rancho 9000xl rear shocks
Zone Offroad 1.5" body lift
Note, the exhaust tips have not been adjusted at this point

Since the lift, I have also added the 3/4" poly spacers from TGC and Airlift bags in the coils because the rear end always looked saggy. I don't have pictures of my current set up. Hope this helps.
Rancho QuickLifts, RS9000xl Shocks, Mevotech UCAs, HD Rear Coils, Zone 1.5" BL, TGC 3/4" Spacers, Airlift Bags, Weathertechs, Console Vault, AVS Low Profiles, Lund Rock Rails, Recon Tails, AFE 5" Black Tips, Bushwackers, 20x9 Rockstar IIs, 35x12.50 Terras