The regulars on here know that I ordered a 2010 Laramie last week from my local Dealer (Manfredi). First we tried to locate a truck and could not find anything within 200 miles that matched what I wanted. I could have gotten one but with the light pebble interior but I need to have the dark slate interior. the sales rep assured me they can order my truck from the factory built out as I wanted it. Spent 2 hours going over all the options etc... and put together a build out. Put down a $5,000 deposit to show I'm serious about getting the truck, etc. I was so thrilled and signed up on this forum later that night.
Yesterday I get a call from another dealer asking if I was still in the market for a 1500. I told him I got one on order and thanked him for following up. he said... that's impossible the factory is not taking orders. They stopped 2 weeks ago??? That's when I started to think... I have been asking for the VON number and keep getting put off to the next day. So now Im thinking maybe I cant order one. Wondering why the dealer would take the order and deposit and string me along.
Then I read online where someone had the same problem with a different manufacturer and dealer, and he ended up getting a deal on something off the lot in stead so he settled. I wonder if my dealer is trying to do the same thing. String me along for a few weeks just so I go in and settle.
Laramie's in my area are starting to become scarce with the deals they are running, not to mention trying to find a white one with slate interior. So I spent most of my night and early morning on Dodge's website researching over 500 miles around me (which is tricky to do with their system of 200 mile radius). I ended up finding 2 trucks in PA about 350 miles away that are available... very similar options.. both are missing the bed liner.
That's where it may be for the better. Once i signed up here I was almost regretting some of the options i included... such as the bed-liner. Even though I am tossed between the carpet one or the spray on... I know for sure I rather not have the drop in.
I called my dealer this morning.. and i asked for the VON. He said they don't have it its the end of the month. I told him I heard that they could not order new builds anymore more and I'm concerned about getting what I want... so I told him if I don't get a confirmation that the truck is order-able or a VON by Today I will cancel the order and go with another brand.
He called about 1/2 hour ago and said I was right... he cant order the truck, they tried and was unable to. He said he contacted his distribution mgr and he will try to order it, if not, if they need to arrange a transfer from several 100 miles a way they will do so. He asked me to give him until Monday.
So to those of you looking to buy a new Ram... Dealers Can Not Order Anything From Factory at this time!
While Im giving him until Monday... I got smart... I called both dealers... and told them if I give them a deposit will they hold the truck I wont be able to get there for 2-3 days to look at it. Both agreed to hold it with a $500 refundable deposit... so by Monday if I don't show up the car will no longer be on hold... and I will be refunded.
So If my truck cant be ordered (now without the bedliner) then I can get one of the located ones and have them on hold so I don't lose the only two I found in some 500+ miles from me.
I win either way, but it just annoys me that dealers play this game to try to move vehicles from inventory. I know that rams are selling well. In the past 2 weeks dealers on hand inventory have dropped based on what i can search on Dodge.com. So I don't get it. If you cant order a car, tell the customer and then help the customer from whats out there. Dont waste time because as time passes, the customer's opportunities are closing every day.
Just had to vent a little. Sorry