DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 RCSB 4x4 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Blizzard white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:23
MoparerNocar is on a distinguished road
Default 3" torsion key lift + 6" susp lift??

Would it be possible to use a torison key lift as well as a 6 inch suspension lift in a 2004 half ton? I want the most suspension lift I can get out of my dodge, and I was wondering if these two types are stackable? I can figure out something easily for the rear, just the front I have questions on.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:06 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:140
Ruffian11 will become famous soon enoughRuffian11 will become famous soon enough

I dont see why it wouldn't work, i know the 6" kits drop the front differential down to accomadate such a large lift, while keeping your CV shafts a a relatively acceptable angle...but it depends what the kit includes whether lower control arms are changed out that may change the CV angles! I have never seen a 3" torsion key kit either...wouldn't want to use one to begin with but a 2" should be good...you just have to watch the angles of the CV shafts...to severe and you increase the wear immensely on them...which mean changing it more often!

I haven't had the experience using the 6" kits on trucks or installing them to know what else is changed beside from differential lowering.....so the angles on the CV may already be to severe to ad the keys in...or the kit may include keys to make it a 6" kit!

The one thing i can think of if you need the clearance is to do a 6" suspension with a 3" body lift, that way larger tires can be put on!

Torsion keys also tend to stiffen up the ride so trying to crank as much out of them mostly give a really rough ride ontop of the 6" kit
Old 05-05-2010, 08:00 AM
erm

Torsion key lifts, at 3", are damn harsh riding. Have you considered a 6" suspension lift + a 3" body lift instead?
Old 05-05-2010, 12:58 PM

Already doing a body lift, I was going to put that in the original post, guess I should have. I want to tuck 40s under my half ton so I'd like the most combined lift possible. Obviously I don't care about how it rides if I'm putting 40s on it, I'm not expecting it to drive/ride like a stock truck haha. I found a 3" torsion key lift on ebay which is why I asked, but even a 2" should hopefully work. I'm hoping someone on here has done this/is a mechanic/whatever. I want to get all my ducks in a row before I go making decisions.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:59 PM

Oh, and I daily drive a super duty, I'm used to a harsh ride haha.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:40 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Rep:140
Ruffian11 will become famous soon enoughRuffian11 will become famous soon enough

Ya i can say i wouldnt want to put the 3" torsion key kit under, cuz if you image the torsion bar...it goes into the lower control arm, the more you crank the key it angles the outer edge of the control arm(where your ball joint is) down more, in turn the hub assembly, everything goes down more, the front differental stays in the same place the inner CV is going to stay where it is but the outer one is going to keep going down increasing the angle at each joint more an more, this makes it where more...thats why with any form of level/small lift you generally find that 2" is the most people have as it is probably as much of an angle you want your CV's on to begin with!

I decided to take a look at a few of the kits... i assume BDS is what you may be looking at the 6" one, States 6" up front 4" in the rear...they stated no torsion system is used as to why the front needs a lift of 6" while the rear is 4" to level the truck out when you are done....so now i know what to work with if you ad the 2" level kit and crank the shit out on your torsion bars, you should be able to gain a total of 8" up front...as i have seen you mention the rear is easy...simple leaf over axle swap will give you plenty of clearance to begin with! so hope this helps you out some lot of info to take in!
Old 05-05-2010, 11:33 PM

I already know how all the front end stuff works/effects things, but thanks for the run down anyway! Looks like I'll be doing a 2" kit on the front, thinking about possibly getting custom 8" rear springs made as well to do away with adding blocks. We'll see, we'll see.