DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Sunburst Orange
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:20
FL09RAMSPORT is on a distinguished road
Default Exhaust Info from Dynatech

Some of you may have read that Dynatech has headers for our truck but they have only been installed on a 4x4 and they need a test truck to see if there are any differences with a 2wd.

I have been in contact with them for a few weeks not and my last email to them was with the intentions of running true duals with an xpipe and 2 mufflers. Eliminating the restrictive Y-pipe.

I wanted to share with you their response to me and the explanation as to why NOT to go with true duals.

Interesting read.

I would run the Y-Pipe.
The Y-Pipe is designed to give you torque. Many people just look at the horsepower number. With a truck or any vehicle for that matter, that is the worst mistake you could make.
Let me explain.
If you had the ideal header for an application and decided to make changes, one change you could make is to go smaller on the tube size. This would result in more low end torque and less high end horsepower.
The opposite would produce the opposite. Larger tube would result in less low end torque but more high end horsepower.
If you take two 2-1/2” tubes and direct them into and X-pipe with two 2-1/2’ outlets, you would be sending this exhaust through an opening equal to 9.8 sq inches.
Sending the two 2-1/2” tubes through a Y-pipe with one 3.00” outlet you would end up with a single opening of 7.07 sq inches.
The formula is below.
The Y-Pipe will obviously give you the low end torque this truck demands. If you must run duals, get the best of both worlds. Run the exhaust through the Y-Pipe. This gets both sides of the exhaust balanced for added power. You would also get the torque needed. Then run two outlets off of the Y-pipe outlet to get your duals.
You may ask, How is this different than an X-Pipe. The answer: It’s all in what diameter opening you run it through. An X-pipe that had a center section that necked down to a 2-1/2” center section would act very similar to a Y-pipe with a 2-1/2” opening.

(The formula: Area equals 3.14 x the radius squared. In this case:
Radius = 1.25
Area = 3.14 x (1.25 X 1.25)
Area = 3.14 X 1.56
Area = 4.9 sq inches (per 2-1/2” outlet)

We have two 2-1/2” outlets so the opening would be 4.9 x 2 = 9.8 square inches.

With one 3.00” outlet (Y-pipe) you would have
3.14 X (1.5 X 1.5)
3.14 X 2.25 = 7.07 sq inches.

The cats we use are a high flow ceramic cat. They provide the best balance between durability and cleaning the exhaust enough to not throw a check engine light.

Be careful when selecting cats. There are some great flowing cats out there, however typically with the higher flow, you get less cleaning of the exhaust.

I have included a link that shows the flow of our cats. The one on your system, would be the middle one @ 349 CFM

Pricing would be a little more involved. If you leave out the Y-Pipe, you would be required to buy the components individually instead of in a package.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 1500 - 5.7L HEMI 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:60
Valldar will become famous soon enough

Very informative thanks for posting this.

If anyone here could answer me this, if lowering the diameter gives more low end torque and increasing the diameter will give more horsepower this means that bigger is not necessarily better? I would like to get some more horsepower outa my rig but not t the sacrifice of a lot of torque, maybe just a 1/2" bigger, lemme know what you guys think.

-=UPGRADES=- Focal K2 Component Speakers // 2x Boston G210-44 Subs // 2x JL 500/1 & 300/4 Amps // Rhino Lining Bed // Grillcraft Black Grille // 35w 5000k HID Fogs // 50w 6000k HID Heads // 0 Gauge Engine Wire Upgrade