DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 DODGE RAM
Trim Level: QC SLT 2WD
Color: Almond Pearl, Blacked Out
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:65
RAMING IT will become famous soon enough

Well I feel kinda guilty because Im tinting my windows this week and Im kinda ignoring the fact that my tint is not going to allow the minimum amount of light through my windows required by the republic of California hehe. I think the driver side and passenger side windows have to let in a minimum of 35% light and any other windows IE. back doors and rear glass can be as low as 5% if im not mistaken. But the heck with that im going 2.5% all around!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Power Wagon
Trim Level: Power Wagon
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:87
RBPPowerWagon will become famous soon enough

Really nice write up it will help alot of people
Old 06-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

I bought my truck used and the tint on my windows is likely no where legal in NY. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 06-12-2011, 09:05 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram QC 4X4 Hemi
Trim Level: 4X4 SLT Hemi
Color: Light greystone
Rep:54
Boubou will become famous soon enough
Default Tint in Ontario Canada - vague law

Got pulled over in Kingston Ontario Canada and got fined with a ticket because my tint is too dark. I understand the ontario traffic law about tinting and it is vague.
"No person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway where the surface of the windshield or of any window of the vehicle has been coated with any colour spray or other colour coating in such a manner as to obstruct the driver's view of the highway or any intersecting highway."
That seems open to interpretation!

My question is:

What happens if I pay the ticket but do not remove the tint? How would they know I didn't comply and changed it for a lighter shade?
The cop told me I could get it re-tinted a lighter shade.
There was no grading % taken so no way they would know the exact tint at the time of the ticket.
Also, is this ticket readily accessible or viewable on my record if I get pulled over again for something else?
Would they ticket me again or something worst?
Old 06-12-2011, 01:08 PM

I'm not to familiar with the tinting laws in Canada but that definition is definitely open for interpretation. Sounds like both our countries have similar laws in regards to the %of light allowable through the drivers immediate field of view. If thats the case then I'm going to assume that we have similar ways of going about correcting those that defy this law. Here in Los Angeles County California, U.S. when the citing officer is issuing a citation for "illegal tinting" he/she can not just guess, assume or eyeball it, he must take a reading with a specific tool that reads the % of light that is restricted due to the tinting by placing the light sending device on the exterior part of the glass and the receiving end on interior part of the glass and a % reading is immediately displayed and recorded for court use if you decide to contest the citation (which most of us dont)hehe... Now there are rights you can exercise... As you could imagine these sensitive devices just like any other electronic sensitive measuring tool have to be calibrated by an authorized individual every so often to maintain optimal accurate readings with minimal margin of error per manufactures specs and a RECORD MUST BE KEPT INDICATING DATE, TIME, CALIBRATION READINGs, NAME & signature OF THE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN performing the calibration in order for this device to be used in the field (I believe but not certain its every two weeks) If for some reason you feel you were unlawfully cited you can dispute your citation and you can subpoena all service records for that specific tool used on your vehicle. Now you guys get were I'm going with this so to make a short story long, any, I mean ANY TYPE of discrepancy with their service/maintenance records including but definitely never limited to skipped, late, unfinished calibration, tech not certified or even if the unit was wiped down by a person other than the handling officer or any other authorized persons are GROUNDS FOR DISMISSAL!! Its happened once back in 09 to me and back in 2010 for my disabled cousin. Chances are it will never get that far usually 70% of the people contesting their citation get it dismissed that same day due to the absence of the citing officer.....most of the time the Dept's budget can not afford to pay to have an officer to sit in court for 2-8hrs not including any additional time needed by the officer to complete any necessary paperwork on his end!!

CAN I HEAR A... CHA CHING$$ thats cash money in our pockets big brother missed out on.
DISCLAIMER: I'm in no way shape or form advising, implying, suggesting or even remotely hinting for you to try this or that this will even work, I am simply exercising my god & government giving right to verbally (in this case typing)share my views and opinions in regards to the matter at hand. God Bless our troops & may God Bless this fine country we call home. OoRaahh!
Old 06-12-2011, 01:58 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram QC 4X4 Hemi
Trim Level: 4X4 SLT Hemi
Color: Light greystone
Rep:54
Boubou will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMING IT View Post
Here in Los Angeles County California, U.S. when the citing officer is issuing a citation for "illegal tinting" he/she can not just guess, assume or eyeball it, he must take a reading with a specific tool that reads the % of light that is restricted due to the tinting by placing the light sending device on the exterior part of the glass and the receiving end on interior part of the glass and a % reading is immediately displayed and recorded for court use if you decide to contest the citation
The officer did NOT use a tool to measure the tinting % so there is no record to how dark the tint is. The law states that 73.(3) Colour coating obscuring interior
You also can’t put tint film on the windshield, left front, or right front windows that
makes it hard for SOMEONE OUTSIDE to see YOU when you’re inside.
So all that the officer has to say is too dark. It's vague and there is no % limit. If I get stopped again, I can argue that I had the tinting replaced to a lighter shade can't I?
Old 06-12-2011, 02:03 PM

Vehicle: 2009 QC 4wd
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:146
jc4041 will become famous soon enoughjc4041 will become famous soon enough

don't see why not...since he didn't measure it...sounds logical to me
'07 Dodge Charger SRT8 SuperBee #579-CAI, DSP, dual Cherry Bomb Extremes
-Jeff
Old 06-12-2011, 02:42 PM

Cool

Easy fix bud! Sounds to me like there is no governing agency overseeing these jokers with their hit or miss eyeballing method of enforcing the law! Sounds like the Canadian officials share the same method as the Mexican federales!! just kidding bud. Much respect to both countries law enforcement.

Anyhow I got an idea that just might work if it was actually used but it never will so here it is. Go out to wherever you purchase your tint and buy a small amount of tint that meets your states minimal tinting requirements I believe you said 73.(3). Save that receipt and take it to court! You will be the only party with any type of supporting document stating you are in compliance. Unless the officer brings his physical report showing he has 20/20 perfect vision then you might be screwed hahaha. I'm sure that has some kind of pull over not having any type of documents period!
Old 06-12-2011, 02:46 PM

That or if you dont want to go to court just carry that receipt in your glove box in case you get challenged by those jokers again.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:04 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
FireWire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boubou View Post
Got pulled over in Kingston Ontario Canada and got fined with a ticket because my tint is too dark. I understand the ontario traffic law about tinting and it is vague.
"No person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway where the surface of the windshield or of any window of the vehicle has been coated with any colour spray or other colour coating in such a manner as to obstruct the driver's view of the highway or any intersecting highway."
That seems open to interpretation!

My question is:

What happens if I pay the ticket but do not remove the tint? How would they know I didn't comply and changed it for a lighter shade?
The cop told me I could get it re-tinted a lighter shade.
There was no grading % taken so no way they would know the exact tint at the time of the ticket.
Also, is this ticket readily accessible or viewable on my record if I get pulled over again for something else?
Would they ticket me again or something worst?
I'm in Ontario too. I am going to get mine tinted this week at Ziebart.
After calling around to 3 places, they all gave me the same info.
35% is legal. The factory tint on the rear doors and back window is around 17%. They will match the tint to the other windows but warned me there could be a problem if a cop feels the windows are too dark.
A lot of vehicles around here seem to be running the dark tint.
I think I'll take the chance and go 20%.

Jeff